Discuss Removing Cut-Out from Wall / Backboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rsmck

I am in the process of refurbishing/redecorating my house and, as part of this, creating a new cupboard in the under the stairs where the meter and consumer unit etc are situated to hide them from view and meddling fingers of friends' children etc - the shiny box full of switches at a low level is too much of a draw for some of them it seems!

The previous fuse box, and cut out, was mounted on thin wood panelling and when replacing with a modern consumer unit I mounted it in more or less the same place (otherwise would need new tails to meter etc etc)

It seems that some of the wooden panelling has been exposed to dampness at some point (although there's no evidence of it now) and it's considerably weakened it therefore I'd like to put new ply or MDF sheets on that wall to ensure the accessories mounted to it are secure (it also makes it easier to wall mount things like the broadband router etc) and mount the consumer unit etc to that.

Long story short, but I felt it was worth explaining *why* i'm asking, is there any reason not to remove the (new, Series 7) cut out from the wooden boards and slide a new board behind it and reattach it ? I'm assuming there's nothing exposed at the back of it and as long as I don't touch any of the sealed terminals I can't see any reason why this would be a problem but would welcome a second opinion from someone who's worked with these.

I've had a closer look at this - seems the fixing screws on the cut out itself can be easily removed without taking the cover off (or breaking any seals) however I have an additional fuse carrier fitted as there's a supply to my neighbours property and it appears that the screws for that would actually require removing the *fuse* itself.

More hassle than it's worth, I'll remove as much of the old wooden backing as possible and remount the CU etc on the new surface leaving the cut out where it is I guess.

Probably your best bet, once you start moving the incoming cable if you have any problems the damage possible to you and the cable is not worth it.

Just make sure you do not damage the incomer when cutting around it!!

Always be safe, your life is worth more than a piece of wood.

Yep. The incomer is now at least more secure than it was when I moved in so shouldn't be able to disturb it too much

Had the cut out replaced almost immediately along with the meter and the cable supplying the neighbours which looked to be about 6mm at most (!) also had exposed copper visible on the tails to the meter.

The whole place is now rewired fully ( took me longer than it would take any of you I'm sure but I'm quite proud of it ) and in some ways replacing this backing at the start would have made more sense. But originally it was going to be concealed in a small cabinet in the hall. Then my better half decided to build a wall .... ;-)

Then my better half decided to build a wall .... ;-)

you could always plaster her in behind it. LOL.
:banghead:

Reply to Removing Cut-Out from Wall / Backboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net