Discuss Replacing a single socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jaymorris

DIY
Reaction score
Probably going to get slaughtered for this, but I took a single socket off this to replace with another single socket that was smashed, but I was met by all of these wires and some require for lives to go into one hole which is proving impossible considering that’s how it was wired in the first place. Any ideas how of what I can do? As I’ve left it like this for the time being, the sockets on the same wall no longer work. Any help greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 04F6D9CC-A31D-47D1-83AE-79CF375D0841.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 36
quite Simpley,

What you have there is Wrong.
A bad install and against reg's

the maximum amount of cables you should ever have on a socket is 3 per terminal.
ring in
ring out
+ 1 spur at the most.

i think you need a profesional to sort out the underlying problems before trying to bash a new socket face on.

p.s. make sure that the circuit remains turned off at the distribution board.

Is that 4 in each terminal? No wonder its tight.

There looks to be another point on the right, sitting on a surface pattress box. That might be your answer.
Make a joint in that back box and just bring one set through a pattress and into the socket.

Actually, it looks like the item on the right is fed from this socket. It could be rewired better to lessen the amount of cables at one point.

Well the sockets no longer work as you have basically interrupted the feed to them and by leaving it in the present condition you are leaving it in a highly dangerous state as live wires can be access !
Judging by the newer cable colours someone has already taken a spur from that socket or is that the wire that you have installed for your new socket outlet ?

I would immediately switch the supply off at the consumer unit(fusebox) for that circuit until you can get it rectified

quite Simpley,

What you have there is Wrong.

the maximum amount of cables you should ever have on a socket is 3 per terminal.
ring in
ring out
+ 1 spur at the most.

i think you need a profesional to sort out the underlying problems before trying to bash a new socket face on.

p.s. make sure that the circuit remains turned off at the distribution board.
Thank you for such a quick reply. Annoyingly If i turn it off it turns off all the plug on the first floor of my house. I know it’s super dangerous to leave it like that, but I have no choice until I can get a pro out

Well the sockets no longer work as you have basically interrupted the feed to them and by leaving it in the present condition you are leaving it in a highly dangerous state as live wires can be access !
Judging by the newer cable colours someone has already taken a spur from that socket or is that the wire that you have installed for your new socket outlet ?

I would immediately switch the supply off at the consumer unit(fusebox) for that circuit until you can get it rectified
I haven’t messed with the wires. I took the old socket off and that what I was met with. Four wires going into one hole. Four neutral and four live. Can’t tune it off as the other sockets in the house go off.

Which reg specifically - other than general "good workmanship" ?
ring in
ring out
+ 1 spur at the most.
And if it's a radial circuit ? The "all the sockets on the wall don't work" suggests that it's not a ring. It may be a radial, or it may be a non-compliant install, or ... Not enough information to be definitive about it.

Which reg specifically - other than general "good workmanship" ?

And if it's a radial circuit ? The "all the sockets on the wall don't work" suggests that it's not a ring. It may be a radial, or it may be a non-compliant install, or ... Not enough information to be definitive about it.
ok, it is highly unlikely to conform to regs. in it current state.

It is not helpfull to discuss in detail what circuit arrangement may or may not be there.

point is, it needs looking at by a pro, and if the OP is competent enough to get them all securely joined as a temporary fix, then it may be possible to re energise the circuit if it is absolutely necessary as a temporary fix.

ok, it is highly unlikely to conform to regs. in it current state.

It is not helpfull to discuss in detail what circuit arrangement may or may not be there.

point is, it needs looking at by a pro, and if the OP is competent enough to get them all securely joined as a temporary fix, then it may be possible to re energise the circuit if it is absolutely necessary as a temporary fix.
Thank you so much. Really appreciate it

As a quick safety measure , put them into Wago connectors ( separated by those joined!) . That makes it slightly safer and easy to work with when the problem is fixed

Reply to Replacing a single socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net