Discuss Replacing outdoor lamp - wiring query in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ronniew

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, would appreciate some wiring advice in replacing an old outdoor lamp with a Philips Robin 4.5W Wall Lantern with PIR.
I believe the previous lamp had an override which meant it could be left permanently on which I'm guessing is why we have 4 wires coming from the house?
I'm puzzled how the new lamps 3 way L,N and E wires match up with the house wiring.
Here is a picture of how the old lamp was wired. The new lamp just has a 3-way brown, blue and green/yellow connection. Is it obvious from the picture which wire coming from the house is neutral and which is live, then what should I do with the other non-earth wire?
lamp_wiring.jpg
cheers,
Ronnie

from that pic . the 3 core/E from the house .i'd assume black for LIve, grey for Neutral and brown for a switched Live from the manual overide switch.however seems to be an extra brown conductor in with the red. is there another light connected?

Thanks for the reply. No, only ever just the one lamp.
So I should connect the grey wire from the house to the new lamps neutral connection and black one to live? What should I do with the brown wire from the house side, tape it up or connect it with the black wire to the new lamps live connection?
I've added a picture of the new lamp connection.
Philips.JPG
cheers,
Ronnie

Have you read the operating instructions for the new light? Some PIR lights are designed as direct replacements for a simple non PIR lamp, and are designed to be left with the switch left permanently on. In this mode the light will operate on the PIR sensor, switching on when the sensor is activated, and turning off a pre determined time afterwards. If you want the light on permanently, you turn the switch off and immediately back on.
If your new light is one of this kind, the brown wire won't be needed at the light end. It would be good practice to find the other end of the wire, inside the house, and disconnect the brown wire there, then connecting it to earth, to stop it 'floating'.

I've just done fitting the new light and it appears to be working as expected. I connected the switched live from the house to the live terminal block on the light and placed the live cable from the house in a wago 412 block.

Reply to Replacing outdoor lamp - wiring query in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net