Discuss Rewiring flat with concrete everywhere. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Iv been asked to price a rewire in a 9th floor flat with cast concrete walls floors and ceilings the customer is adamant they wont have trunking or lower the ceiling's, putting coving up also wouldn't work due to there being to many obstacles.

It is currently wired in pyro chased into the concrete.

Im thinking chase round high level then drop down to each point, but what about the center lights can you chase the concrete ceiling and fit conduit? or would I need to have it assessed by a structural surveyor.

I know this is not answering your question but this might be one of those situations in which MI pays for itself. I would be looking to re-use as much existing cable as possible and making new additions and replacements in MI too, to minimise chasing.

Hi Iv been asked to price a rewire in a 9th floor flat with cast concrete walls floors and ceilings the customer is adamant they wont have trunking or lower the ceiling's, putting coving up also wouldn't work due to there being to many obstacles.

It is currently wired in pyro chased into the concrete.

Im thinking chase round high level then drop down to each point, but what about the center lights can you chase the concrete ceiling and fit conduit? or would I need to have it assessed by a structural surveyor.
I would personally give it a wide berth. Once worked in a tower block changing singles to doubles and the noise that's made chasing walls had neighbours from up and down complaining, not worth the hastle.

Unless you're very competent with M.I,, Pyro,, then don't even think about it otherwise you'll have to pay someone else to do it.

It's unlikely you'll be able to chase the ceiling for structural reasons and more importantly as above the noise.
The M.I is most likely fixed on top of the concrete then plastered over it won't be chased.
It could also be singles in steel conduit embeded in the concrete

Before you quote, if you do, you need the customer to speak to the neighbours above, below and at the sides and get written agreement about the noise, otherwise you could end up being stopped half way through it all and it'll get messy re getting paid.

Thanks for the advise good point about the noise complaints, I think battening the ceiling would be the sensible option bit don't think the customer will do for it il put that to them and see what the response is.
I sometimes spend hours doing research quotes etc... knowing the customer 8s going to say no. Don’t know why I do it.
I think this may be the case with this job for you.
good luck, but if your not short on work I’d limit your valuable time with this one until they compromise.

The concrete reinforcement in ceilings, floors and walls are at a specific depth to transfer the stress of the structure into the surrounding concrete its called d1 in structural terms decreasing that depth over any distance is reducing the integrity of the structural member, in other words DON'T DO IT, the existing cable or conduit will not be in the structural zone or calculated depth of the structure so could be safely used again.

Fixed with double sided tape so you don't drill into the concrete, ? And don't forget to make the conduit a feature by painting it bright red.?

Reply to Rewiring flat with concrete everywhere. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net