Search the forum,

Discuss Rogue Traders in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do the bbc have something against electricians,corr blimey,if its not rogue traders there is another show which is on around 11am,caught it yesterday the bbc bloke sets people up and stings them for £300 by showing the homeowner a chewed up piece of cable(that he done) and bits of fake mouse poops,thanks bbc,people are gonna think that we are all trying to rip them off.why dont they pick on someone that everyone hates ie traffic wardens.

Rogue Traders are the Norm over here... The only difference is, there dead cheap!! lol!!

I spent 18 months in China. Rogue Traders???
The man who came around to fix the air conditioner mended it with a ping pong ball and old glove he found lying around.
I miss China for the craziness. There is no health and safety there.:76:

most of us carry a van stock don't we, or already know what the fault might be form experience. I'd have done the cooker switch repair for about £45 plus the switch, a tenner. Even if I'd have to travel to get a new one, it would have been the same price. (not that they needed a new switch)
Of course, I know he was just taking his time so he could make more dough, scum bag.

I spent 18 months in China. Rogue Traders???
The man who came around to fix the air conditioner mended it with a ping pong ball and old glove he found lying around.
I miss China for the craziness. There is no health and safety there.:76:

There is on our project, but absolutely nothing like the nonsense you have to suffer in the UK these days!!

You could call the H&S in the UK pure craziness!! ...lol!!

Where were you based in China?? This is my second stint over here, i quite like the place myself!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Always the same they show these programs and i still find people still use unregistered tradesman ! went into a local diy shop the other day only to hear this chap talking to a sales woman asking for a pir to wire in an outside light ! by the way he was talking as if he was using a batten lamp

Always the same they show these programs and i still find people still use unregistered tradesman !
The thing is it's hard to get registered. I can't get work because I'm not registered and I can't register because I can't get the work to show an inspector. Catch 22
Nic want 5 jobs before they'll give me approved contractor status

Do the bbc have something against electricians,corr blimey,if its not rogue traders there is another show which is on around 11am,caught it yesterday the bbc bloke sets people up and stings them for £300 by showing the homeowner a chewed up piece of cable(that he done) and bits of fake mouse poops,thanks bbc,people are gonna think that we are all trying to rip them off.why dont they pick on someone that everyone hates ie traffic wardens.

Yer i saw that ! knowing my luck id get a call from a customer with a tripping RCD only to actually find rat damage and the customer saying i saw a program the other day followed by HOW DARE YOU ! like its my accomplice rat !

The thing is it's hard to get registered. I can't get work because I'm not registered and I can't register because I can't get the work to show an inspector. Catch 22

I do think if people have those problems there should be a facillity to go to a scheme ops site and spend a day or so in a purpose built unit to prove comp

I do think if people have those problems there should be a facillity to go to a scheme ops site and spend a day or so in a purpose built unit to prove comp
I'm offering myself to local builders and estate agents for three tenths of bugger all just as long as the'll let me show the work to an inspector.
I feel like I'm a prostitute , lol

As usual they only point out the bits that are negative and critisise all of it, they were making a point about the second guy painstakingly checking all of the terminals on the MCB's, granted he took forever to do it and was dithering like mad, but they were out of order pointing this out. If i was called out to this job although i would go straight to the board, i too would check all the terminations, given the nature of the fault. so now every time we go around checking terminations we will be accused of being a rouge trader.

You dont have to be with the niceic,you could choose many others,im with elecsa,only took him to a cu change,once they see you know your stuff thats it,the niceic are not helpful and need to realise some people need a foot on the ladder,this is why i went to elecsa,perhaps you could do a cu change any other part p notifiable works for friends/neighbours or family for a discounted rate to get up and running.you can tell labc before job commences and then once you get registered yourself dont need to speak to them anymore.

Well today was a good example.....RCD random tripping at a house in gledhow (leeds)....so gets in and asks her the usual questions , like when appliances are used and if RCD trips at specific times of day (central heating or other timed devices) etc and no luck there....goes to the board to find a loose neutral on the RCD side.....so i thinks better to be safe than sorry and IR all circuits in RCD side for my own peace of mind and find low IR between line-neutral on the shower circuit. Now admittedly i know this wouldn`t affect the RCD but as it was found we isolated the shower until wee can get back and pull a new one in. The lady said she had an electrician out previously who couldn`t find the fault and i`m only an apprentice. The shower cable was only 4mm and the board had NIC stickers on it.........

You dont have to be with the niceic,you could choose many others,im with elecsa,only took him to a cu change,once they see you know your stuff thats it,the niceic are not helpful and need to realise some people need a foot on the ladder,this is why i went to elecsa,perhaps you could do a cu change any other part p notifiable works for friends/neighbours or family for a discounted rate to get up and running.you can tell labc before job commences and then once you get registered yourself dont need to speak to them anymore.

I'M sorry but i disagree with the NICEIC are not helpful, i'm in the NIC and the ECA (the ECA own ELECSA)
and not only find the NICEIC very helpful but also help me win alot of work. For example when the part P
came out, not once have i been asked if i was part P, but asked if i was NIC instead, as the consumer knows of the NICEIC alot more than any of the others, hence members of the others being on a back foot straight away having to explain they are Part P but not NICEIC.
It makes me laugh because the niceic is no harder to be a member as elecsa or napit and is the same price for domestic installer, dont get me wrong i wish it was harder as it would have even more prestige about it.
And as the other guy says about catch 22, its easy like robsparky says do a cu for a friend/family test it correctly with the correct paper work, then put an outside socket at your own house as a second job makin sure both jobs are done to the current bs7671 and heypresto you could be signed up with the NICEIC lol.

I'M sorry but i disagree with the NICEIC are not helpful, i'm in the NIC and the ECA (the ECA own ELECSA)
and not only find the NICEIC very helpful but also help me win alot of work. For example when the part P
came out, not once have i been asked if i was part P, but asked if i was NIC instead, as the consumer knows of the NICEIC alot more than any of the others, hence members of the others being on a back foot straight away having to explain they are Part P but not NICEIC.
It makes me laugh because the niceic is no harder to be a member as elecsa or napit and is the same price for domestic installer, dont get me wrong i wish it was harder as it would have even more prestige about it.
And as the other guy says about catch 22, its easy like robsparky says do a cu for a friend/family test it correctly with the correct paper work, then put an outside socket at your own house as a second job makin sure both jobs are done to the current bs7671 and heypresto you could be signed up with the NICEIC lol.
It still costs an arm and a leg to get it past LABC then you have the NIC fees so that CU change could end up costing the thick end of £800 because LABC where I am are very very strict and NIC say they want it certified legally when they come to see it so I can't see any short cuts. Sorry if I sound all whiny and poor me but I'm struggling to see how I can do this

SB your right that the niceic are more well known.every firm ive ever worked for have been with them,the trouble is that when someone wants to start up on there own they make it difficult as in you have to be trading for 12 months and show them work,so i can understand where the catch 22 comes from.For me to get on a scheme elecsa was a means to an end,i needed a scheme and after 1 month of self employment was signed up with elecsa,so i know how trev1 feels,frustrated probably,and if i was trev1 i would give niceic or elecsa a call see how they can help get signed up.

Meanwhile old Tommy the guy at the pub who "knows what he's doing"....

I know where your coming from Trev1 and unfortunatly the Part P reg has not stoped cowboys/rouge traders because we have to charge a bit more now
and if the electrical system aint up to regs, an extra socket in a kitchen could
turn out to be gas and water bond and an rcd/cu being fitted, so mr Smith
gets his brother who know electrics to do it and make us look bad for trying to rip them of.
And i promise TREV1 save up and get registed it will bring you work in and be
worth it in the end even borrow the money and pay it back from the first job,
theres always a solution mate.

It still costs an arm and a leg to get it past LABC then you have the NIC fees so that CU change could end up costing the thick end of £800 because LABC where I am are very very strict and NIC say they want it certified legally when they come to see it so I can't see any short cuts. Sorry if I sound all whiny and poor me but I'm struggling to see how I can do this
No trev because what you can do is do the board change (or any other notifyable work) for the assessment then when the part p provider inspector comes to look at the work/install and then if he ok`s it and you are invited onto the scheme....you just notify that work through them therby cutting out the LABC altogether......save your wallet that will......

No trev because what you can do is do the board change (or any other notifyable work) for the assessment then when the part p provider inspector comes to look at the work/install and then if he ok`s it and you are invited onto the scheme....you just notify that work through them therby cutting out the LABC altogether......save your wallet that will......
Well ok....elecs see it like that so i may have to eat some humble pie here...lol....but i dont see why they wouldn`t accept that. If not then its a poor do now isn`t it....

SB your right that the niceic are more well known.every firm ive ever worked for have been with them,the trouble is that when someone wants to start up on there own they make it difficult as in you have to be trading for 12 months and show them work,so i can understand where the catch 22 comes from.For me to get on a scheme elecsa was a means to an end,i needed a scheme and after 1 month of self employment was signed up with elecsa,so i know how trev1 feels,frustrated probably,and if i was trev1 i would give niceic or elecsa a call see how they can help get signed up.

I do understand it can be hard to start up and could argue till i'm blue in the
face about the benifits of being in the NICEIC.
Unfortunatley throughout the trade elecsa is seemed to be the underdog and
for electricians that aint good inof to get in the nic, now i know saying that
aint going to make me popular but it's the thoughts of alot of sparky's i'm
affraid.

Theres a lot of folk about though who think there getting a bargain when someone who "who knew electrics" comes round....thing is though there so ignorant of just about everything were bound by....safe zones, disconnection times, cable sizes, correct termination etc...the list goes on .....my boss and i see examples of this crap nearly every day and as money gets tighter....i am sure we will all be seeing a lot more of it...........

Last edited:
Well ok....elecs see it like that so i may have to eat some humble pie here...lol....but i dont see why they wouldn`t accept that. If not then its a poor do now isn`t it....

Thinking back Glennspark your absolutely correct thats what happen on my very first assesment, there you go TREV1 it will only cost you about £500
now lol.

I do understand it can be hard to start up and could argue till i'm blue in the
face about the benifits of being in the NICEIC.
Unfortunatley throughout the trade elecsa is seemed to be the underdog and
for electricians that aint good inof to get in the nic,
now i know saying that
aint going to make me popular but it's the thoughts of alot of sparky's i'm
affraid.

Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!

I think it may be better for new to part p sparkys to go elecsa but after a while you can transfer to maybe the NIC....so you use one provider as a springboard....onto another.........

I'm not a kitchen fitter, that's why I'll never pay the NIC to be classed as one! When they drop the extra £400 for approved contractor status I might spend a micro second thinking about it, but until then, the NIC can eat my shoes!

I'm not a kitchen fitter, that's why I'll never pay the NIC to be classed as one! When they drop the extra £400 for approved contractor status I might spend a micro second thinking about it, but until then, the NIC can eat my shoes!

LOL, i knew my statement would upset people but its true, more sparky's
would rather be nic than elecsa if they where truthfull, and the majority of
people who are going to disagree with me wont be nic hence your come back
Skelton.

Well, if you're happy to be classed as a kitchen fitter, my hat off to you sir. I however am not, and neither are two of my friends who both left the NIC for ELECSA. Seems NIC aren't that bullet proof afterall.

Reply to Rogue Traders in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net