Discuss Screwfix - General public in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Electricalserv

In screwfix before getting some SDS drill bits and noticed a customer asking about 2.5mm t&e. He seen my t-shirt and walked over. He said I'm looking to put in a 13amp ring but this cable only seems to carry 11amps lololol. After a 5 min discussion I think he left rather baffled lol. Told him to get an electrician and if he wanted I'd do it. He took my number but won't hold my breath!

I had a nice convo with a guy down the road about voltage drop/CCC for about 2 hours, Because he wanted to do a submain with 2.5 SWA and couldnt see why he d need anything bigger! He had a toolstation mag under his arm :S

I was quoting for a lived in rewire the other day and after looking rather shocked with the state of the existing wiring, the old dude whos house it was piped up and asked what the matter was. I explained how whoever had wired his house up had made some very dangerous mistakes and that he was doing the right thing by getting it rewired. It was at this point he said to me "I did all this wiring! and there's nothing wrong with it!" I was a little embarresed if I'm honest but I noticed a load of new accessories in the bathroom including a wall mounted switch, I asked him who did that and he said "Me, why?". I told him about part p of the buildings regulations and his response was "I'm an engineer! I've been all over the world with my job, I've built bridges me! And I know that the building regulations aren't statutory! If I want to do some electrical work in my own house who are you or anyone else to tell me otherwise!?" He was clearly one of these know it all types and was clearly agitated at my earlier comments, so I replied "What about the Electricity At Work Regulations?" thinking specifically of reg 16. I was promptly and swifly shooed from the premises.

Honestly, I think he had tried bless his little cotton socks! The old git had obviously been hacking at some floorboards as there were some partially lifted floorboards on the upstairs landing. He'd also ripped out all the wiring from the garage and tried doing it again with red and black which I'm guessing must have been a left over reel or something. I dunno, it was an absoloute nightmare of a job so I couldn't care less to be honest, I just feel for his wife! He's obviously too frail to do it himself but too stupid/proud to admit it.

Last edited:
On a Similar note pooped into Efix trade counter for screws & a cooker retention chain the gas safe plumber on the same job had asked me to pick up, they wouldn't sell me the chain because i'm not gas safe registered.

How come they can sell CU's etc to Jo Public then

If P or even part of it had as much clout as Gas safe we'd all be laughing!

Best I ever saw was in the local wholesalers when a couple of Irish sounding fellas (not judging) burst in saying that the consumer unit they had purchased was faulty.

One of the guys opened the box and showed it to the wholesaler explaining that as soon as they energized the board both RCDs tripped. The pair of t##ts had not cut the bus-bar between the RCDs.

Made some excuse about needing to go to my van for something whilst the wholesaler "dealt" with them.

What chance have we got whilst these people are allowed to work on electrical installations? Dread to think what the rest of the job looked like.

Regards wa

Hello sir we are in the area and have some surplus materials, would you like your consumer unit changed? Wonder if they had domestic installer status?

one of the best i have heard is i want a fuse box to replace my old one , im going to give it a try in changing it says an 84 year old man and his wife in a wheel chair , in all fairness the guy at screwfix did say that realy its not a job for the general public you should get in an electrician so fair play on him must be a spark in disguise

Best I ever saw was in the local wholesalers when a couple of Irish sounding fellas (not judging) burst in saying that the consumer unit they had purchased was faulty.

One of the guys opened the box and showed it to the wholesaler explaining that as soon as they energized the board both RCDs tripped. The pair of t##ts had not cut the bus-bar between the RCDs.

Made some excuse about needing to go to my van for something whilst the wholesaler "dealt" with them.

What chance have we got whilst these people are allowed to work on electrical installations? Dread to think what the rest of the job looked like.

Regards wa

I think they have been down here. How do you stop the RCD tripping? cut every earth you can until it stops tripping

On a Similar note pooped into Efix trade counter for screws & a cooker retention chain the gas safe plumber on the same job had asked me to pick up, they wouldn't sell me the chain because i'm not gas safe registered.

How come they can sell CU's etc to Jo Public then

If P or even part of it had as much clout as Gas safe we'd all be laughing!

I always get offered combi boilers, could of had a really cheap one from one ordered in error!!

I did have a problem with trying to buy a microswitch for my boiler once at plumb centre as the lad on the counter keep saying I needed to be corgi reg'd, then his boss walked in and reminded him that a microswitch is not a gas valve or in the chamber.

Reply to Screwfix - General public in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net