Discuss Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmware ? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

I wondered if anyone else has heard the RUMOUR that Sky are going to broadcast a Firmware Update around September which will have the `accidental effect` of removing the Set Up Option within the Engineers Set Up Menu to turn Power ON to the Digi-box RF2 Output / Remote Control `Magic Eye`.

This would obviously RUIN the `other Room viewing` for anyone who uses the RF2 Output / Remote Control Magic Eye set up to watch Sky TV in the Bedroom for example !

This RUMOUR has come from a well informed source - I cannot identify Him but He is a `renowned Expert` in all things Satellite TV.

He has NOT been able to confirm this at present as Sky simply will not discuss the matter - I have also tried to ask about this but I just cannot get access to anyone who would either know about this matter or tell Me the details about it - IF it is going to be done.

He has stated that it would be easy to get power to the Magic Eye - there are products made to do just that - BUT the Firmware Update may cause the Signal from a Remote Control via the RF2 Output to not be recognised by the Sky Digi-box !

I wondered if any other Member has heard about this ?

IF True this would be a `Disaster` for Me as I watch Sky TV ONLY from my Bedroom !

I also have a Second Sky Box [`Multiroom`] installed in the Second Bedroom which supplies the Third Bedroom via the RF2 Output / Power to a Remote Control Magic Eye - I THINK that it would be possible for Me to extend the incoming Satellite cable from Bedroom 2 to the Main Bedroom and install the Second Sky Digi-box there - this would mean losing Sky in Bedroom 3 but that is not really a big deal.

I have also heard that future Sky Digi-boxes will NOT have the RF2 Output - obviously IF what I wrote about here is true there would be no need for an RF2 Output - this would also present a problem if an existing Sky Box on which the RF2 Output was being used malfunctioned and a replacement was required.

I HOPE that this is NOT going to happen - BUT obviously Sky would prefer people to have `Multiroom` for viewing Sky TV in other Rooms.

Any comments would be very welcome.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Re: Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmwa

Logic would say that the RF2 output and for that matter any RF output will be removed / designed out on future Sky boxes as TV's move away from utilising analogue tv signals and the cost of including a DVB-T modulator in the box would make them significantly more expensive

I think your rumour is little more than the engineering inevitable as analogue RF is consigned to broadcast history and pennies are saved removing unnecessary connectors and the bits connected to them in the box

Let's face it as the available bandwidth increases and if broadband is made available to all at speeds to enable consistent video streaming then over the air TV by terrestrial and satellite may become history as well and the rumours of this are already out there

There is no doubt that to future proof AV installations an amount of crystal ball gazing is going to be needed in the next few years as how we view TV evolves and how many rooms we want to view it in from different sources within the home changes

Re: Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmwa

It wouldn't matter too much to me. I use an HDMI splitter/replicator to view Sky in every room in the house in full HD. I do use the RF2 just for the magic eyes. If this is switched off it would be a ballache but there are loads of third party products that can get round that.

It wouldn't matter too much to me. I use an HDMI splitter/replicator to view Sky in every room in the house in full HD. I do use the RF2 just for the magic eyes. If this is switched off it would be a ballache but there are loads of third party products that can get round that.

"Hello kingeri",

I posted my message on here because I thought that there would be a chance that Electricians or other Members who deal with wiring etc. for Sky TV throughout Homes might have also heard about this Sky Firmware Update RUMOUR.

Although I am not in any way Expert in Sky TV I have wired and set up Sky in all of the Bedrooms in my Home.

I did mention this in my message that You replied to:

QUOTE:

He has stated that it would be easy to get power to the Magic Eye - there are products made to do just that - BUT the Firmware Update may cause the Signal from a Remote Control via the RF2 Output to not be recognised by the Sky Digi-box !

In view of Your comment here:

QUOTE:

I do use the RF2 just for the magic eyes. If this is switched off it would be a ballache but there are loads of third party products that can get round that.[/QUOTE]

Could You please let Me / Us know how you could `get round` the Sky Digi-Box not accepting commands from the Remote Controls - as it would no longer recognise a `Remote Command` because the RF2 Output would be `Gone` - ?

I don`t know the Technical details - but it seems to Me that if the Magic Eye is connected to a satellite cable which connects to the RF2 Output and that RF2 Output Power is turned Off - or if a Digi-box reset has to be done it cannot be turned back On - then even if You connect a Power Unit to the Magic Eye the Sky Box may NOT accept the Remote Control signals any longer - ?

Obviously I HOPE that I am completely WRONG about that !

I would be VERY interested in your recommendations to deal with that - as would no doubt Hundreds of other Members who use the Sky Box RF2 Output and `Magic Eye` Remote Control Link for viewing Sky TV in other Rooms.

Thanks very much in advance for your help with this.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Logic would say that the RF2 output and for that matter any RF output will be removed / designed out on future Sky boxes as TV's move away from utilising analogue tv signals and the cost of including a DVB-T modulator in the box would make them significantly more expensive

I think your rumour is little more than the engineering inevitable as analogue RF is consigned to broadcast history and pennies are saved removing unnecessary connectors and the bits connected to them in the box

Let's face it as the available bandwidth increases and if broadband is made available to all at speeds to enable consistent video streaming then over the air TV by terrestrial and satellite may become history as well and the rumours of this are already out there

There is no doubt that to future proof AV installations an amount of crystal ball gazing is going to be needed in the next few years as how we view TV evolves and how many rooms we want to view it in from different sources within the home changes

"Hello UNG",

Thanks very much for your interesting reply.

IF Sky do broadcast a Firmware Update which has the effect that I described in my original Post do You know of ANY way to keep a Sky Remote Control operating the Sky Digi-box from a Bedroom - is there any `Transmitter` type unit which could be located near the Sky Box in a Living Room which could accept the Sky Remote Control signals - But would then transmit them to the Sky Digi-box ?

If not is there ANY way to be able to control the Sky Box from another Room ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Chris

IR signal repeater.... you can even get wireless ones i believe so i dont think its going to be a big issue, i use magic eye so yes ill need to adapt if the OP holds any truth in what he has said.

"Hello again",

I think that I MAY have missed the most Important point of this RUMOUR - IF the RF2 Output Power On / Off option is terminated by a Sky Firmware Update would that mean that the RF2 Output to the Bedroom TV would be terminated / the TV signal would NOT go to the Bedroom / other Room TV - ?

Regards,

Chris

I came back to Edit this after Marvo very kindly replied to my other thread where I posted details regarding having problems using the Forum last Night and Today.

He suggested trying another Browser [other than Internet Explorer] - at present I am using Google Chrome to access the Forum - everything is now working as it should - "Thanks Marvo".

Last edited:

The Magic eye sends a coded signal down the rf2 line to tell the sky box your request as well as the TV images, if as you suggest this rf2 outlet is turned of or lost then you may have to run cable direct from tv to tv to view your sky upstairs but you wont be able to control it so you could purchase a IR repeater that will read the IR code you press upstairs and send it out on a sender unit aimed at the sky box down stairs.

The Magic eye sends a coded signal down the rf2 line to tell the sky box your request as well as the TV images, if as you suggest this rf2 outlet is turned of or lost then you may have to run cable direct from tv to tv to view your sky upstairs but you wont be able to control it so you could purchase a IR repeater that will read the IR code you press upstairs and send it out on a sender unit aimed at the sky box down stairs.

"Hello darkwood",

Thanks very much for your reply.

So that I can get prepared for the possibility - I ask this as if the Sky Box RF2 Output HAS `Gone` - No Sky TV to the Bedroom TV from the Sky Box RF2 Output via the cable:

As I already have the Satellite quality cable running between the Sky Box RF2 Output and the Aerial socket on my Bedroom TV what would I have to do with the cable end from the Sky Box [RF2 connection at present] to be able to receive the Sky TV on my Bedroom TV ?

The Living Room TV connects to the Sky Box via a Scart Lead so there is nowhere to connect a cable to my Bedroom TV.

I understand the Infra Red Transmitter / Reciever advice for getting the Bedroom Sky Remote control to work the Sky Box from the Bedroom - "Thanks to You and kingeri" - for that information / suggestion.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

If the RF1 and RF2 are totally disabled and you want to continue using an RF link to the second TV, then you would have to use a separate RF modulator. If I were you, I'd seriously consider using a HDMI splitter as I mentioned, you get HD in every room, and the SD channels will look miles better than over the RF link. My Sky box is in a cupboard along with my HDMI distributor, network switch and TV amp/splitter up in the loft. I have full HD Sky in all three bedrooms, the living room and the dining room. Only drawback is that we now have to allocate slots for us all to use it, but I'm not paying for bloody multiroom, that's for sure. Each room also has a Freesat box so we generally do alright!

If the RF1 and RF2 are totally disabled and you want to continue using an RF link to the second TV, then you would have to use a separate RF modulator. If I were you, I'd seriously consider using a HDMI splitter as I mentioned, you get HD in every room, and the SD channels will look miles better than over the RF link. My Sky box is in a cupboard along with my HDMI distributor, network switch and TV amp/splitter up in the loft. I have full HD Sky in all three bedrooms, the living room and the dining room. Only drawback is that we now have to allocate slots for us all to use it, but I'm not paying for bloody multiroom, that's for sure. Each room also has a Freesat box so we generally do alright!

"Hello again kingeri",

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot even contemplate taking up` half of the House`s Floorboards` AGAIN to install HDMI Cables - I did this when I installed the `100 Spec.` Satellite cable throughout my Home - and I replaced all of the Radiators on the First Floor at that time just before new Carpeting was fitted - I reallly don`t want to be taking up Carpets and Floorboards again.

I have found RF Modulators but these are `Fed` by Scart leads - my Sky Boxes [Original type - Not Sky PLus] are connected to their `primary TV`s` by a Scart lead and I THOUGHT that the Second Scart connection on the Sky Box [Original type] was dedicated for connection to a Video Recorder - ?

Will the Second Scart connection OUTPUT Sky TV to a RF Modulator ?

Am I correct that You are suggestion connecting an RF Modulator to the Sky Box SECOND Scart connection and then connecting the Bedroom TV cable to an RF connection on the Modulator ?

Thanks very much for your help - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Yes that's right Chris.

"Hello kingeri",

Thank You very much for your help Today.

I now know what I will need to get for enabling Me to ensure that I can continue to be able to watch Sky TV in my Bedroom in the event that what I originally described about the Sky Firmware Update RUMOUR does happen.

As my Sky Box is currently `playing up` and will probably need replacing soon I may well purchase the RF Modulator and Infra Red Transmitter & Receiver Kit to have at Home in case the replacement Sky Box does NOT have an RF2 Output.

Because my `Main` Sky Box is sitting on a TV / Sky Box / DVD Player / Sound System Stand which is a real `Pain` to have to move - and the Second Sky Digi-box is `Built-in` to a TV / Sky Box / DVD Player / Sound System Cabinet - I cannot just look at the back of any of the 2 Sky boxes without disturbing a lot of furniture etc.

Could You please let Me know about the Sky Box RF1 Output - would that be for connecting the Box to a TV that does not have a Scart connection - ?

The reason why I ask this is because IF that is the case Sky could never turn Off the OUTPUT to that as there MIGHT still be a significant amount of `Original Customers` who have their Sky Box connected to their TV`s like that - ?

IF that is correct could I just connect the Bedroom TV cable to RF1 IF RF2 is ever disabled - ?

Sorry for prolonging this kingeri - but I do really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

RF1 and RF2 both provide the same signal, the only difference is that RF2 also provides the 9v for the magic eye, so yes you could just use RF1 in that scenario, and then come up with a solution for replacing the magic eye functionality.

Thats a nice little setup you have. Multiroom costs a bloody fortune.

RF1 and RF2 both provide the same signal, the only difference is that RF2 also provides the 9v for the magic eye, so yes you could just use RF1 in that scenario, and then come up with a solution for replacing the magic eye functionality.

"Hello kingeri",

Thank You very much for `persevering` with Me / all of my questions on this subject - especially as it started off with a Rumour and I have been asking Hypothetical questions.

Thanks to you imparting this knowledge to Me with your replies I am now in a position to either `Gear Up` in advance of possibly not being able to continue to view Sky TV on my Bedroom TV via the RF2 Output from the Sky Box - or know exactly what equipment I will need to purchase IF this situation does arise.

I really appreciate all of your help with this and the time that you have given to Me while posting your replies.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello kingeri",

Thank You very much for `persevering` with Me / all of my questions on this subject - especially as it started off with a Rumour and I have been asking Hypothetical questions.

Thanks to you imparting this knowledge to Me with your replies I am now in a position to either `Gear Up` in advance of possibly not being able to continue to view Sky TV on my Bedroom TV via the RF2 Output from the Sky Box - or know exactly what equipment I will need to purchase IF this situation does arise.

I really appreciate all of your help with this and the time that you have given to Me while posting your replies.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, no worries mate, just PM me if you need more info nearer the time :)

Chris, no worries mate, just PM me if you need more info nearer the time :)
"Hello kingeri", Thanks very much for that offer - I really appreciate it - Sorry I am still having problems writing my messages on the Forum Today - I cannot form any paragraphs - although this message does not really need that. Regards, Chris

Reply to Sky digibox rf2 output - power to magic eye option to be turned off by sky firmware ? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net