Discuss Socket Heights.....Part M in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Hi guys, does Part M apply to refurbs? I know it does not apply to rewires and that it does apply to new builds....but that's not much use to me!! lol :D

New build and that means new build so if you are wiring a new extension to an existing property it still does not apply.

Chris

New build and that means new build so if you are wiring a new extension to an existing property it still does not apply.

Chris

Cheers Chris.

The only reason I was a bit flustered over this one is because the existing installation has but 3 sockets downstairs and 3 upstairs! None of which were in the kitchen!! As the entire house is now stripped of plaster I was wondering what to do as the absence of existing sockets makes it kind of hard to put the new ones where the existing ones were!

The owner of the house was an elderly chap who lived there all his life.....and clearly had a stove-top kettle!!

Personally I cant stand the socket and switches heights in part M but.........

Neither can I but you have the choice its not a new build so the 450 to 1200mm dont apply however you could ask the customer what he want as an extra bit of PR for you and hopefully he will recommend you to others because you have been so nice;)

Chris

yet again ive learnt something new, i thought when doing rewires that sockets were raised to the 450 height unless it was a partial rewire and existing ones were staying.
im still gna carry on putting them at 450 tho.

I prefer putting them at 450. I think it looks better than having them right near the skirting board, plus they're easier to work on.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Socket Heights.....Part M in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net