Discuss Sub-Panel and Wire Installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tonkaz

DIY
Reaction score
Reaching out for some help/guidance and sanity check. Apologies in advance for the long post, but wanted to make sure it was clear. Thanks in advance for any help offered

I recently wired a workshop out back after talking with an electrician and having a plan going forward. I fully wired the workshop as follows:
  • 6 x Outlets on one circuit
  • 1 x switch to overhead light on circuit
  • 1 x Stand alone outlet
I currently have the three wire ends ready for installation into the sub-panel. The electrician I was using never followed up and the second electrician quoted me $2200 to: 1) Install the sub-panel. 2) Lay the 100' of wiring and conduit to connect the main and sub-panel. 3) Install a mini breakers to make room for double pole breakers.

I am attempting to buy that quote down myself by installing the sub-panel and laying the wire + conduit myself. I have already dug the trench to 18" between the house and shed so it is just gluing the PVC and threading the wire.

Questions:

1) Can someone please confirm what wiring to lay to connect the house and shed? I know 4AWG copper is sufficient for the load, but is there a certain type to buy for underground routing within PVC?

2) Recommended Sub-Panell to purchase - as in brand and model etc...? I planned to put our all leads into a 20 AMP circuit breaker. I was planning on an 80 AMP three slot sub-panel. I am not planning to go bigger only because I really don't have the room on the main panel to extend and this shop is a very specific shop with everything required laid out. If I need to add more later with another building then I will be forced to have the power company drop another line to me.

I am comfortable figuring the above out and then having the electrician out to do the work on the main breaker etc... but wanted to confirm materials and get a quick sanity check from the professionals before I started. The shop has been wired for over 2 months and I just can't get someone out or a quote that seems reasonable. Maybe I am off in what I think materials and work involved are here?

Thanks for the time. I appreciate it

Reply to Sub-Panel and Wire Installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net