Discuss Sub panel grounding in a pool shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pool Mike

DIY
Reaction score
I have a Ge 125 amp 12/24 load center being installed in my pool shed roughly 80 ft away from the main electrical panel on the house.
The plan is to backfeed the panel with a 100 amp breaker to function as a service disconnect.
I will be running a 20 amp circuit from this sub panel to a garage attached to my home. Does this circuit tie these structures together according to code?
Should my grounds and neutrals be separated in the sub panel?
Do i need a ground rod if the sub panel is bonded to the pool rebar?

I haven't found a way to edit my original post, so I'll just post again.
I've done further research and now know the answer to my bonding/grounding question.
The pool bonding is not directly connected to the sub panel ground. So yes a separate ground rod is required for the sub panel install.
I am still not sure about how you determine what is a separate structure and if my one circuit to the garage which is in no way tied to the main panel connects my two structures.

I have a Ge 125 amp 12/24 load center being installed in my pool shed roughly 80 ft away from the main electrical panel on the house.
The plan is to backfeed the panel with a 100 amp breaker to function as a service disconnect.
I will be running a 20 amp circuit from this sub panel to a garage attached to my home. Does this circuit tie these structures together according to code?
Should my grounds and neutrals be separated in the sub panel?
Do i need a ground rod if the sub panel is bonded to the pool rebar?
As far as your sub panel you have to pull 4 wires from your main panel with one of the wires being your equipment ground. Yes you will need to isolate the ground wires from the neutrals. You don’t have to bond the rebar and your garage has to be GFCI protected.

As far as your sub panel you have to pull 4 wires from your main panel with one of the wires being your equipment ground. Yes you will need to isolate the ground wires from the neutrals. You don’t have to bond the rebar and your garage has to be GFCI protected.
Thank you for responding to my inquiry.
The rebar of the pool does need to be bonded, but it is not bonded at the sub panel.
Rebar, pool pump, any metal in or near enough to the pool that someone could be in the water and still touch needs to be bonded together.
Because the pool pump is grounded in the sub panel, the rebar and pool bonding does have an indirect connection to ground.
This is where I was confused.
I also now understand why 2 ground rods are usually called for in a sub panel.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.
The rebar of the pool does need to be bonded, but it is not bonded at the sub panel.
Rebar, pool pump, any metal in or near enough to the pool that someone could be in the water and still touch needs to be bonded together.
Because the pool pump is grounded in the sub panel, the rebar and pool bonding does have an indirect connection to ground.
This is where I was confused.
I also now understand why 2 ground rods are usually called for in a sub panel.
Yes the rebar and all metal parts of the pool has to be bonded to the # 8 bare wire which is your ground ring all the way around the pool. You don’t need ground rods. The ditch around the pool should be 24 inches which is in theory is your ground rod for the pool

Reply to Sub panel grounding in a pool shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net