CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss SWA Into Back Of Consumer Unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

We've got a new build with all the T&E, earths and 25mm SWA coming through one 60mm cutout in a stud wall. What's the neatest way of terminating the SWA?

I'm not convinced that a gland with the earth tag and nut 'floating' loose within the CU, and the 'tails' then running as usual is going to be best practice here? Or is this how you would all do it?

Aico 3000 Range

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Should have glanded the swa into a terminal box or similar during the 1st fix but earth the supply end

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
....Somebody is going to ask what the CU is made of...
Also,i think this job,is one for the money...

ferg

-
Arms
Esteemed
As long as it is earthed at one end then it complies.

This happened to me a while back where the builder brought it through with the T&E and boarded.

I managed to gland it into a galv box which was then behind the DB. The gland was then not accessible but the other end was. So not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but best I could manage.

I have also, once, just given up trying to gland it and wrapped SA tape around the cut armour. Pretty rubbish but you can only work with what you have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pahaha, thanks for the replies and humour lads ;).

@APE37 - The other end of the SWA can be earthed no problem - terminating in a large cupboard next to the meters.

@Ian1981 - Didn't think of glanding into a box within the wall. Assuming there would be no (reg) issues with this box being buried and inaccessible? However, if this is ok, why even terminate into a box as opposed to glanding in the wall as there wouldn't be any electrical connections anyway?

@PEG - The CU is an MK 3rd amendment if that helps?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As long as it is earthed at one end then it complies.

This happened to me a while back where the builder brought it through with the T&E and boarded.

I managed to gland it into a galv box which was then behind the DB. The gland was then not accessible but the other end was. So not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but best I could manage.

I have also, once, just given up trying to gland it and wrapped SA tape around the cut armour. Pretty rubbish but you can only work with what you have.
Missed this post as I was replying to the others! I think you've answered most of the questions I had about glanding into a box. However, what purpose does the box serve as opposed to simply glanding in the wall?

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
To my mind glands should be accessible for inspection and maintenance. Cables should also be properly secured and arranged so that no strain on terminals is caused.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
get it right or. ....

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to SWA Into Back Of Consumer Unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom