Discuss SWITCHED DOUBLE SOCKET HELP?! - MUCH APPRECIATED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tbh callum, its a better job than some who i know would do. I’ve some drill a hole through worktop and plug the lights into a socket and use that as there switching

Not quite what i'm trying to accomplish though is it. I know this is a possibility which can be done. Just trying to work out the best way to go about it. If you have any logical idea on how would be best to accomplish what i'm trying to do then please step in with your advice. As currently i'm hearing a lot of 'dont do its' but no alternatives being offered.

I wouldn’t recommend this at all. You are mixing 2 circuits I.e. your lighting circuit and your socket circuit in 1 switch. It is unlikely but not impossible where you could have a fault whereby your lighting circuit ends up protected by a 32A MCB which would not protect a 1.5mm cable. It is just bad practice and as someone else said could be a mine field for someone else fault finding in the future. There will be much better ways of doing this.

I wouldn’t recommend this at all. You are mixing 2 circuits I.e. your lighting circuit and your socket circuit in 1 switch. It is unlikely but not impossible where you could have a fault whereby your lighting circuit ends up protected by a 32A MCB which would not protect a 1.5mm cable. It is just bad practice and as someone else said could be a mine field for someone else fault finding in the future. There will be much better ways of doing this.

Completely understand what your saying, however, what could be an alternative to accomplish this?

I wouldn’t recommend this at all. You are mixing 2 circuits I.e. your lighting circuit and your socket circuit in 1 switch. It is unlikely but not impossible where you could have a fault whereby your lighting circuit ends up protected by a 32A MCB which would not protect a 1.5mm cable. It is just bad practice and as someone else said could be a mine field for someone else fault finding in the future. There will be much better ways of doing
the op is not listening.

I do not understand your response, the socket is wired correctly from a 30 Amp ring main, only difference is the live is going to a switch so that the live can be switched on and off. The socket would work fine if the live was wired directly to the 'L' port rather than the switch. SO what is the issue?
You're drawing shows no sign of any ring circuit cables. Is it spurred? .... it's not a field you should be 'educating yourself' in. Various regulations apply.

...Or a straightened out paper-clip? You would need to pull & view,to know...

@Callum Thomas
My suspicion is that you have asked an electrician to do this job and they have told you that to alter the wiring in your kitchen would require changing the old fuse box. Therefore you are trying to do it yourself. Am I correct? There are good reasons why most electricians wouldn't do the job without bringing it up to current standards.

No, 2 electricians have looked at this job, confirmed it to be possible and haven't even asked to look at the consumer unit. Can't see why the old style fuse box would prevent this from being done, other than the fact it doesn't meet current standards.

I wouldn’t recommend this at all. You are mixing 2 circuits I.e. your lighting circuit and your socket circuit in 1 switch. It is unlikely but not impossible where you could have a fault whereby your lighting circuit ends up protected by a 32A MCB which would not protect a 1.5mm cable.
.....30 amp 3036

No, 2 electricians have looked at this job, confirmed it to be possible and haven't even asked to look at the consumer unit. Can't see why the old style fuse box would prevent this from being done, other than the fact it doesn't meet current standards.
What 2 electricians have confirmed it to be possible in the way you showed in your schematic?

Hi OP. You are breaking a few regs. No I'm not going to explain them.
Yes, get an electrician in. What you are planning is incorrect.
Yes, you won't like my reply, but I'm an engineer and I'm just direct in my nature. I can't be a polite as others on here.. I will tell you as it is, without mollycoddling you.

No, 2 electricians have looked at this job, confirmed it to be possible and haven't even asked to look at the consumer unit. Can't see why the old style fuse box would prevent this from being done, other than the fact it doesn't meet current standards.[/QUOTE]
That says it all!!![/QUOTE]

Reply to SWITCHED DOUBLE SOCKET HELP?! - MUCH APPRECIATED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net