Discuss T&Cs ELABORATION in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martysparky

I'm wondering if there is a regulation for T and C's

There has been stuff here for STANDARD t and c's

What if you want to elaborate on this and write your own?

When I went to business school the law teacher said a contract can be anything written and signed.

I hazard a guess that it all boils down to fair trading. e.g addmin charges ect.

extract
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Work time duration: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The company shall endeavour to carry out the work in accordance with the dates specified on the estimate or quotation, or if no dates are specified, within a reasonable period of time. However, the company cannot be held responsible for any losses, damage or increase in cost due to delays beyond the control of the company. [FONT=&quot] If agreed dates are set the labour costs of that time duration will be chargeable. Charge will include, not exclusively, the client refusing the work to commence without a two week notice or postpones work/s in that given time for any unforeseen circumstance. If the client delays work/s extending the work time duration agrees this will be chargeable at the usual day rate. [/FONT][/FONT]

Anyone clued up in this area?

My thought is if a client does not pay but has not disputed the work they are forcing credit what can you and can you not put in the T and Cs as protection..

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I know, while you can get someone to sign their name to anything, certain thins aren't going to stand up in court if it gets that far. For example, I have a clause in my contracts that until payment is recieved, all work and parts of the installation worked on or provided remain my property, and that I am allowed to retrieve these in the event of non payment. In real life, though, there is no way I could walk into somebody's house and start ripping parts of their installation out, as I am not a registered debt collector. However, I probably could get a debt collector to collect the debt for me, as we have a contract saying so. Another one is a guarantee on work - you can write that you only give, I dunno, 3 months or no guarantee at all, but I think that we are legally obliged to provide a year's guarantee. I always say that things like bulbs are not guaranteed (because customers never pay me for premium bulbs so why should I give them any guarantee), but if it went to court, regardless of what they had signed, I think the beak would have to gently remind me that I have a legal requirement to provide some kind of guarantee.
I have written my whole contract from scratch (based on a standard contract) and continually add to it whenever I get an arsey customer who reminds me exactly how petty people can be. I know from my musical days, however, that a real contract, at least when dealing with people, royalties etc, has to be drawn up by a solicitor. Dunno if that applies here though.

These are all just musings by me, aren't necessarily correct, and are not designed to be of any help whatsoever.

Sounds like you think a little like me and I agree totally as thatt is what I do too.

3 months. A bit like the car industry.. But the law says a car has to last a reasonable time including the lenght of a finance agreement. If there is a prob though you know as well as \I do to get a garage to do anything takes about a year and a half. Usually the garage gets away with it because the customer gives up.

I would reply the the bulb issue.

I did not make the bulb sir I simply supplied it to the request of the client albeit it was installed by me I had no part in its making and thus have nothing to guarantee. If however I had not terminated it properly I am very happy to do so if the client can prove that they have not tampered with it.

just a bit of late night blerbbb..no exactly serious either.

How, if tested, could a guarantee be worthy and how can a client prove it was not tampered with. We don't use manufacturing or installation seals.
Just a thought...

And suddenly Good Will Jester springs to mind.....

I asked my PL insurer as they cover against non payment, and defend your contract, if they need to see my contract for that purpose and I cannot get any sense from them. A solicitor is probably the best option.

Under Part P we have to offer a Warranty ELECSA provide this for its members I understand. If the client does not take this up does that mean that we have to uphold a 1 year guarantee although the client has refused to pay for such.

Terms and conditions regarding the contract are an agreement between and the employer/ client and yourself,
if you both sign it it becomes a legal instrument.
Take a standard form of T& C's and modify it to exact requirements.

If for example you had a clause of Late / non payment carrying a charge per day, lets say ÂŁ10 per day, would that stand up in court?

If not, maybe it would still help persuade the client to pay after you bring attention to that detail.

Not that I would want to sting my customers as waiver is at the discretion of the company.

l

If for example you had a clause of Late / non payment carrying a charge per day, lets say ÂŁ10 per day, would that stand up in court?

If not, maybe it would still help persuade the client to pay after you bring attention to that detail.

Not that I would want to sting my customers as waiver is at the discretion of the company.

l

IF it was in your terms and conditions and you both signed a contract which quoted your terms and conditions yes.

Reply to T&Cs ELABORATION in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net