Discuss Teeside HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi all

I too have just begun with the HNC in Electronic Engineering.
Started with the math course (AME) and must say I find I have to put an awful lot of hours into it. No way I am going to finish this module in the 3 months that I was hoping to.
If anyone has just started this course and would like to collaborate I would be much obliged.
spduncan at hotmail dot com

Reading through the mails on this thread was very interesting and actually gave me a bit of hope so thanks to you all already. Hope I do not become to much of a nuisance in the following months (years).

Cheers
Stewart

Hi guys
Could someone help me to understand a question of the first AME TMA please
The question reads"Water fills a tanK at a rate of 150L in the first hour, 350 in the second and 500 in the third... and so on."
I just want to know what exactly is meant. Is the water entering at the added rate every hour (meaning the tank is at 500 after hour 2) or is the tank filling to up to 150L, 350L, 500L every hour?
Sorry but it may just be my bad English grammar here.

Thanks

If you have the exact wording of the question there then it is idiotic.
However if they are describing a rate then it would have to be 150l/h in the first hour, 350l/h in the second and 500l/h in the third.

As they state "rate" is: 150l in the first hour, 350 in the second and 500 in the third, then this must actually be a rate of 150l/h for 1 hour, a rate of 350l/h for 1 hour and 500l/h for 1 hour and this means the indication of sequential time is irrelevant.
After 3 hours there would be 1000 litres in the tank.

If they meant water fills a tank to 150l in the first hour, 350 litres in the second hour and 500 litres in the third hour then this would almost make sense but it is still varying rate of fill.

Overall as worded the question does not make sense.

Last edited:
Hi Richard

Awfully sorry but I made a typo there. The last number should have been 550.
So progression, 150, 350, 550. Should have checked that post before sending, apologies.
What you said about rate made sense and helped me a lot, am going with that.
I appreciate your input an awful lot, many thanks for that.

Best regards
WeeCh

Hi All,

First Post, been reading through your post. I joined the HND course in November, worked my way slowly through AME, but really struggling with APH (Application of Pneumatic and Hydraulics) Any help would be appreciated more than happy to return the favour.

Hi guys,

I just finished my EEP module and managed to get a distinction overall. The telephone interview was a lot easier than I thought, tutor actually congratulated me on my distinction. If I can help anyone out get in touch, PM me. Thanks.

Congrats
From what I hear on hear that seems to be one of the most difficult courses so a distinction is something to be proud of. Well done.
Personally just handed in TMA 2 of AME. was easier than TMA1 I thought.
Dreading having to to EEP one day. Will do Eng. Sci. next I think. Put off EEP till I have to.
Regards
WeeCh
MAy just come back to you then though. ;)

How ya doing sparkymalarky, i'm over half way through TMA 3 for PLC's after a short break (lack of motivation)

I hope the rest of you are getting on well.

Hi sparkcity, i found DCS really easy but i have worked with DCS for years, there are only 3 TMA's for it and no phone call at the end of the unit. A lot of the answers for the TMA's are in the lessons and the rest is off your own experience. Any more questions just drop me a line.

I have just finished TMA 3 on PLC's what is TMA 4 like?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I have also worked with digital control systems for many years, PLC's, ASI, Profibus etc, is this what the DCS course is about? TMA 4 on PLC's is ok, Colu sends you some software called Ladsim, its a programming simulator program. Depending on the TMA grade you want, pass, merit or distinction depends on how many programs you write in the software. I have really enjoyed PLC's and would like to do another module that will keep my interest up, not like the core modules! Have you done any other non core modules?
Cheers...

I'm afraid not, i was credited for AME,EEP and Comp'ex, and i have completed digital and analogue circuits and sustainability but all these were from my local college but due to a job change i could not finish my hnc off there, which is why i'm with tees. DCS will be an easy module with your experience, it depends on if you want to learn something completely new or just get through another module as quick as possible. I'm not saying you wont learn anything but i'd say i new 85% of the material before i did the module.

hope that helps

Reply to Teeside HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net