Discuss Telephone wiring guide and fault finding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sxsparky

Wiring for UK Telephone Sockets

Although pin 4 has no function in a domestic installation it is usually
connected for the sake of neatness.
The quality of wiring carried out by many older BT wiremen is often approaching art in its perfection.

The BT Drop Cable
(The cable coming from the outside world)
This often has Orange, White, Green and Black wires. Usually (but not always) Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5 in the master socket. In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B.
Which way round they are connected usually doesn't matter but some modems (especially older USA sourced ones) and some answering machines are fussy about polarity, so it's wise if possible to check the voltage on the line and connect -48V to the B leg (5) and 0V to the A leg (2) in the master socket.

If you have underground wiring with a small grey connection box by the door the internal cabling will usually be the same type and colour as the extension cabling.

Internal Cabling
Conn No.
Usual Cable Colour
Carries
N/A
No connection
Blue with White Bands
Speech and Ringing
Orange with White Bands
Ringing
White with Orange Bands
Not used but usually connected for neatness
White with Blue Bands
Speech and Ringing
N/A
No connection

An Important Note on Colour Codes
The colour code shown above is the one which would normally be used by BT. HOWEVER it isn't always adhered to, especially if internal wiring in a new house has been installed or modified by previous occupants.
You should never rely solely upon the colour code - always check both ends of the cable.

Fault Finding
No ringing -
Terminal 3 disconnected
Phone ringing continuously.-
Terminals 2 and 5 swapped (2 at one socket connected to 5 on another and vice versa)
Very poor speech quality, possibly poor bell. -
Terminal 3 and 2 or 3 and 5 transposed
Ringing but no speech (or very poor speech) and can't dial out. -
Wire between terminals 2 or 5 broken.

Testing the cabling
You have an installation where the main socket works and the remote in the garage roof doesn't. You need to test the continuity of the circuit. So you can use a very long lead with and a test meter - or cheat.
  • Firstly, disconnect the BT line completely.
  • In the remote end bridge any two terminals (make a note of which two).
  • Measure continuity between these two wires at the master socket end - should be no more than a few ohms.
  • Repeat for the second pair of wires.
  • If either show a fault swap the combinations - so if you tried 2 and 4 and that was OK, and then 3 and 5 and that failed, you know 2 and 4 are both good so trying 2 and 5 and 2 (or 4) and 3 will show you the faulty wire.
HELP!!
OK - so you have tested the cables and there is 150 yds of cable buried in the newly decorated wall and only 2 wires have continuity - what do I do??
This is about the only occasion where you cheat and use a second master socket.
The second master gives you back your ring signal so connect the two working wires to terminals 2 and 5 on the new master and hope for the best!

Ringer Equivalence Number (REN)
REN measures the load a device places on the line when ringing. A normal BT line will support a REN of at least 4, in other words at least a total of 4 phones/fax/modems should work on any line so long as their REN figures added together don't exceed 4.
The REN is normally found on a label at the base of the machine
(near the green approval symbol).

In practice you can quite often exceed this number because devices with a REN of 1 may actually have a real REN of only a fraction of 1.This is an anomaly of the test procedure used. Moreover many lines can drive a REN of more than 4.
Note that some elderly fax and answering machines can have very high REN's (and they really are high!). If some or all of your phones fail to ring or some ring very anaemically then its possible you have exceeded the REN. Try unplugging devices until they work.
You can get REN Boosters which will increase the ringing capacity of a line if desired, although if you get to this stage you should probably be thinking of installing a small PABX.

Most people know how to use Google to find information without it being repeated ad nauseam.
if u only have negative things to say, dont say nothing, there will be a day info on here will help you. if not why waste your time on this site

TBH some of the info is out of date you don't normally use terminal 3 any more and in some cases if it is still in use it can cause broadband interference problems

HeHe, it wasn’t my thread. I gave a link to one of the best resource sites in the world. It gave information and didn’t pull punches.
I’ve still got another 14 pills to take to day!

well, considering that there have been a couple of threads in the past , asking how to wire up telephone systems, i think sx's info was a useful post. so there. LOL. :computer:

Given the amount of wireless kit around these days I've been surprised how often I get questions about running CAT5 or putting in telephone extensions - so an up to date thread is welcome to me, at least.

I got asked to extend a broadband connection as one of those "Oh, while you're here.. " type jobs added to some electrical work. I thought: 'What could possible go wrong' .... Master connected to slave socket by around 15m of new cable. Punch down IDC connections at both end. Awful hissing noise one phone at slave, but otherwise rings in and out and works - but this noise also appears on phone plugged into the master socket as well.

Turns out to be extension wire on 5 at master that's causing problem - disconnect 5 and slave phone doesn't work any longer (of course) but noise on master phone disappears. Done a visual inspection of length of cable, but can't see any damage from clips.

I'm wondering if a) the slave socket if faulty (will try replacing), or b internal damage in cable, or c) picking up interference from somewhere?

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone whose installed telephone extensions?

are you sure the slave socket is a slave. i.e. no capacitor?

Hi if you are getting a hissing sound it could be a damaged connection or leg down to earth try disconnecting wire to 5 and swapping with a spare,any probs feel free to pm me.

Turns out to be extension wire on 5 at master that's causing problem - disconnect 5 and slave phone doesn't work any longer (of course) but noise on master phone disappears. Done a visual inspection of length of cable, but can't see any damage from clips.

I'm wondering if a) the slave socket if faulty (will try replacing), or b internal damage in cable, or c) picking up interference from somewhere?

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone whose installed telephone extensions?

Is the master an NTE 5 socket (split front plate) if it is it could be a fault on the plug in plate. also have you connected terminal 3 as this is not needed and can cause interference and reduced broadband speed

For several reasons I haven't returned to this until this week. Checked out suggestions phil d, UNG, and telectrix (thanks for those) - I think I've eliminated each - def slave socket (says on packet and no big cap.), checked each of pairs end to end - got continuity on each wire, and no insulation breakdowns. Also tried swapping pairs and got same result - noise on extension phone.

(BTW - I'm only connecting 3, 6, and 5 here)

Then a 'Doh!' moment. Unplugged the BB filter plugged into master socket and checked everything again. Now telephones working okay - bells on both, sound quality about same on both - phone on ext. not noticeably different to same phone on the master socket.

When I plug splitter/filter back into master, and plug phone into splitter (but not plugging BB modem into splitter) then also all good on telephony side.

As soon as I plug BB modem back into splitter all hell breaks loose again on phone plugged into extension socket - phone in master socket via splitter still fine.

So cabling to extension is good, extension socket is good, but introducing the BB modem puts all the noise on the extension phone.

I'm out of ideas, so will be hitting the 'ADSL for Beginners' websites again, to see what I'm missing - I'll let you know - eventually!

Last edited by a moderator:
For several reasons I haven't returned to this until this week. Checked out suggestions phil d, UNG, and telectrix (thanks for those) - I think I've eliminated each - def slave socket (says on packet and no big cap.), checked each of pairs end to end - got continuity on each wire, and no insulation breakdowns. Also tried swapping pairs and got same result - noise on extension phone.

(BTW - I'm only connecting 3, 6, and 5 here)

Then a 'Doh!' moment. Unplugged the BB filter plugged into master socket and checked everything again. Now telephones working okay - bells on both, sound quality about same on both - phone on ext. not noticeably different to same phone on the master socket.

When I plug splitter/filter back into master, and plug phone into splitter (but not plugging BB modem into splitter) then also all good on telephony side.

As soon as I plug BB modem back into splitter all hell breaks loose again on phone plugged into extension socket - phone in master socket via splitter still fine.

So cabling to extension is good, extension socket is good, but introducing the BB modem puts all the noise on the extension phone.

I'm out of ideas, so will be hitting the 'ADSL for Beginners' websites again, to see what I'm missing - I'll let you know - eventually!

Try connecting 2 and 5 it just might work then if you need the bell circuit connect terminal 3 modern phones don't need this and can be a cause of ADSL interference

Reply to Telephone wiring guide and fault finding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net