Discuss Underfloor Heating Advice on installation in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

We had originally wanted to go for a wet system but the builders won't but it in and it would raise the floor to high and require a lot of work.

The area is about 20sqm but we only want the main parts where we will be walking so Im guessing we will ned about 15sqm, I was going to just use the 1 controller and 1 mat.

I know its going to cost quite a bit to run, our hopes were that as the house is so well insulated the central heating downstairs won't come on very often and with the insulation boards installed, the warmup times will be fairy quick and the underfloor heating system won't have to work too hard to keep the chill off the tiles.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise they went wrong so often. My parents have a small 1sqm patch on their ensuite and they have never had a problem. The only reason we wanted it was as the kitchen and lounge is all open plan, we wanted tiles, and they are freezing to stand on so just wanted something to keep them comfy to walk on, we are not looking to actually use it as a primary heating source. I like the idea of taking out a socket and using the space, I don't think we have any plans to have anything plugged into the socket we are looking to put the spur next to.

What normally goes wrong with them? Just poor quality parts / bad fitting? Or do they just go bad?
SOCKS.

We had originally wanted to go for a wet system but the builders won't but it in and it would raise the floor to high and require a lot of work.

The area is about 20sqm but we only want the main parts where we will be walking so Im guessing we will ned about 15sqm, I was going to just use the 1 controller and 1 mat.

I know its going to cost quite a bit to run, our hopes were that as the house is so well insulated the central heating downstairs won't come on very often and with the insulation boards installed, the warmup times will be fairy quick and the underfloor heating system won't have to work too hard to keep the chill off the tiles.

Underfloor heating doesn’t heat up quickly .....

My advice is don't get underfloor heating, when it breaks down, and it will break down it will be a nightmare to repair
Underfloor Heating does'nt break down, it gets damaged when floor surfaces are lifted or during laying of floor surfaces. We are an underfloor heating company and constantly do repairs. All you need to do is find a reputable company to assist if this happens.

Underfloor Heating does'nt break down, it gets damaged when floor surfaces are lifted or during laying of floor surfaces. We are an underfloor heating company and constantly do repairs. All you need to do is find a reputable company to assist if this happens.
It doesnt break down? So you offer a lifetime warranty?

I have only ever fitted two systems, one in my own house under a tiled floor which I never got around to actually connecting! :) Another for a client who had laid it themselves, when I got there and tested all the circuits one of them was duff, the underfloor company refused to honour the guarantee stating that it must have been damaged when it was put down as it was a DIY job, the client couldn't bear taking their newly laid floor up To be honest this one experience has put me off as in my view if you have a circuit go pear shaped it will in all likelihood never be repaired leaving you with a cold patch. Or in my case a warm floor as it is in a room above a wood burner and was never needed!:)

I've only Installed it one a couple of occasions, but I've been called out to it not working on many!
Okay fair enough, if true then I cannot argue with that. I wonder if make of mats make a difference, what do you install? or what makes have you been called out to look at? cheers fella.

I mustve fitted 100 or more systems made by HeatMat in the last 10-15 years. Including a few in relatives/my own house that I know for sure still work.

I've had to replace maybe 3 or 4 programmers/thermostats in that time and only twice has the mat itself become a problem. Once someone drilled through it, and the other time the kitchen got flooded. The mat has a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects I believe.

It doesnt break down? So you offer a lifetime warranty?
We have been in this business for 30 years now, and no, it doesn't wear down on its own unless it gets damaged by outside factors. The confusion comes when it gets slightly damaged by tilers or other trade people, the heater works for a while and then eventually breaks causing the assumption that the heater broke down.

I fitted it in my own bathroom around 2002, I sold that house 2 years ago this month and it was still working fine after 14 years. You’re right not to have it as a primary heat source though. I took the radiator out and tiled over the pipes and regretted it within months. It was nice to keep the feet warm but the bathroom never properly warmed up.

Reply to Underfloor Heating Advice on installation in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net