Discuss what is the law on testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

krishcanag

Hi

I was interested to find out the law on testing an installation done by another installer.

Now I know no one in the right mind would approve an install if its totally not visable (cliped to wall) which will never be the case. But there are companies that have approval from councils to go in and test either DIY or unregistered installers without full details of the install and no doubt will put in limitations to cover themselves, so could a qualified sparky actually go test and approve if he thinks its good and put in limitations?

Is there a demand by councils requesting such checks or is it more or less the odd case?

KC

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt test someone elses install and put my name to it as if I had installed it, however, I would be prepared to do a full PIR on it.

If you inspect and test a new installation and complete an electrical installation certificate for that installation, you are now committing yourself to responsibility for any defects, faults or subsequent problems that occur.
You would be liable with no recourse to anyone else for any legal action that followed.

If there is a new installation that needs checking then an EICR can be done on that installation; this would have defined extent and limitations on the form and thereby exempt you from liability for anything that you could not check. It would also not have your signature as responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing.

Why would you want to test and certify somebody else's work?

Even if you checked for cable routes with a detector to confirm they are in safe zones there is nothing to say that the cable csa is the same throughout.

The longer people certify other peoples work, the longer they will continue to do the work themselves. If they don't want to pay a spark then that's fine, they have the option of using the Local Authority Building Control for a smallish fee. IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS THEN IT MAKES YOU WONDER WHY??? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING???

:thumbsup

Why would you want to test and certify somebody else's work?

The longer people certify other peoples work, the longer they will continue to do the work themselves.

:thumbsup
Think your preaching to the converted on here.

Back to the OP, I heard the NIC prosecuted two for it last year. struck off and £20k fine.
Its only a £5k fine if Building control find out you did it yourself so I guess its going to go on for a while yet.

I wouldnt test someone elses install and put my name to it as if I had installed it, however, I would be prepared to do a full PIR on it.
That's exactly what I would do as well. Did a little bit of work for a couple of London councils when I was over there, they where happy enough with a PIR. That said they would probably have been happy enough with a bit of toilet roll signed - they didn't seem to have much of a clue about anything!

If you inspect and test a new installation and complete an electrical installation certificate for that installation, you are now committing yourself to responsibility for any defects, faults or subsequent problems that occur.
You would be liable with no recourse to anyone else for any legal action that followed.

If there is a new installation that needs checking then an EICR can be done on that installation; this would have defined extent and limitations on the form and thereby exempt you from liability for anything that you could not check. It would also not have your signature as responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing.

Sorry but I Don't agree
Defects comes down to contractual arrangements
faults and problems is a bit wooly to say the least

Having worked in a test team for both CHT, BBESL and MJN couldsons it is not uncommon to test someone else's work and also i will stand by the fact that a test is only as good as the moment it is done!

What's the difference because once you do a eicr you've took the responsibilty for that report I would have no problem carrying out testing on some ones work if it all complys with bs7671 then there's no problem

Sorry but I Don't agree
Defects comes down to contractual arrangements
faults and problems is a bit wooly to say the least

Having worked in a test team for both CHT, BBESL and MJN couldsons it is not uncommon to test someone else's work and also i will stand by the fact that a test is only as good as the moment it is done!
I don't see how a company can issue an EIC for work that they haven't done. If checked at various stages throughout the job then fair enough, don't see that as all that likely though.

I don't see how a company can issue an EIC for work that they haven't done. If checked at various stages throughout the job then fair enough, don't see that as all that likely though.

what happens say a company has done 80% of a job then goes under new contractor comes in and your saying they should then rip it all out and start again? no you certify it with limitations!

What's the difference because once you do a eicr you've took the responsibilty for that report I would have no problem carrying out testing on some ones work if it all complys with bs7671 then there's no problem
You can't put LIM on an EIC, you can on a EICR. Unless you are able to inspect under floorboards, in the walls etc then I'd not be signing no EIC. On an EICR it can be recorded that you couldn't inspect these.

Well, how do you think the LABC get away with it then. I have seen this quit often now, scenario; the owner wants to do a spot of DIY wiring, notifies LABC, pays the fee(LABC says "TA VERY MUCH , we'll send someone to check your handywork during the various stages, and then certify it) Guess what? No-one actually checks during the work, but tests and certifies it after.(if they do at all).
Is that not the same as signing someone elses work? How can LABC justify this? Unless there is PROPER regulation,this part P business will never work. If someone asks me, i carry out a full EICR , That way i know that the whole installation is safe and complies.

You can't put LIM on an EIC, you can on a EICR. Unless you are able to inspect under floorboards, in the walls etc then I'd not be signing no EIC. On an EICR it can be recorded that you couldn't inspect these.

there is nothing to say you can't attach your own forms! (infact you don't even have to use the commonly used layout) and thats exactly what i'd do survey the work I can see record it record what I can't see and progress. the words reasonably practical spring to mind and thats all you can do be as reasonably practical as the situation you are in.

what happens say a company has done 80% of a job then goes under new contractor comes in and your saying they should then rip it all out and start again? no you certify it with limitations!

I'd use the extent of work section to cover exactly what I did and not that all of the other parts of the installation have been tested only.

You'd probably be ok with that approach throughout with an EIC, but I don't see how you can put limitations on an EIC.

And if someone else's work proved not to be up to requirements that can be recorded on an EICR, not an EIC. The payment for that is a different issue altogether.

If an EICR carried out by someone who didn't do the work is sufficient to certify a new installation, why do we even have an EIC?
I also don't see what is so special about an electrician appointed by LABC that means he/she can inspect and test someone else's work.

thanks, this is clear. I have a friend who is not registered with anybody (niceic ETC) but has over 30 years experience, but I just don't want liability as such to fall on my head!!

Reply to what is the law on testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net