Discuss What on earth is this?!? And where did it come from?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

now thats not fair..... we have had many ideas.... including gravy!

true, we dont know what exactly it is, but thats part of the fun.

I once worked with two brothers that were plasterers. One like the odd drink... at 2 in the afternoon.... the other liked to smoke something funny........ one could mix the muck perfectly, the other could apply it to the wall just as well.... both under the influence of their respected vices....
I have never seen a smoother wall.

now thats not fair..... we have had many ideas.... including gravy!

true, we dont know what exactly it is, but thats part of the fun.

I once worked with two brothers that were plasterers. One like the odd drink... at 2 in the afternoon.... the other liked to smoke something funny........ one could mix the muck perfectly, the other could apply it to the wall just as well.... both under the influence of their respected vices....
I have never seen a smoother wall.
This made me chuckle, because I have a similar anecdote with a very different outcome ?
I once turned up to do an EICR to be met with a crazy joiner I had come across years ago on a site.
He told me that he was an old friend of the family that I was doing the job for, and if there were any remedial works following the EICR, he would be carrying them out as a favour to the family to save them money.
I told him that after I had completed the test and issued the report, that unless it was me or another competent electrician who can issue the correct installation certificates for the completed remedial works, I wouldn’t be willing to return and sign off a satisfactory EICR.
He took a little bit of offence at that, informing me that he had been ‘Doing electrics for years’ And knows exactly what he’s doing.
I did the test on the Friday, and on the Saturday night I got a phone call from the client asking if I noticed anything about the Joiner’s behaviour that was untoward..
I said that he was a bit random and loved the sound of his own voice when it came to blowing his own trumpet in regards to his abilities, yet didn’t really do much in relation to fitting the kitchen, which he was supposed to be doing ?
Turned out, the client had randomly shown up at the house with her dad on the Saturday morning at 10am, and the Joiner was in there, with an EMPTY bottle of red wine on the worktop, and there was another bottle half empty by his tool bag…
Out the back in the recycling, there were another two empty bottles ??‍♂️
Needless to say, he didn’t finish that kitchen, OR carry out the required remedial works ?

As others have alluded to, this is the residue of a stash, probably left there by a teenager. The localised warmth and the passing of time have allowed the resin to "flow" and deteriorate...
Before you make assumptions, I had guidance on this from a teenager! Well, she's 30 now!
But I still think of her as a teenager! Before you make any other assumptions, yes, I did once..50 years ago, and never saw the attraction, and have never done so since although some of my friends still indulge, especially the ones I never thought would, and i have no problem with that, Just saying...

Did you taste it that would have helped.

can never tell if this is tongue-in-cheek banter..? but if it is related to rodents, touching or tasting it is an incredibly bad idea. (i have to deal with rats and mice in my trade)... from a government website:

"Both wild rats and mice can carry many diseases including hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, Tularemia and Salmonella."

if it's really bugging you what it is, you can put some in a sealed specimen tube (with an air tight lid).
it should be clearly labelled (with a date) and sent off to a pro-lab for forensic analysis. (use gloves to put substance in tube, wipe off tube, dispose of wipe & gloves).

if you have to deal with dead rodents, i use one of those "litter pickers", wearing disposable gloves. after disposing of "mickey mouse", dispose of gloves, wash hands and litter picker. ?

he Joiner was in there, with an EMPTY bottle of red wine on the worktop, and there was another bottle half empty by his tool bag…

so professional.... (there's a trending word for people like this: "frenemies") ?

kind regards, nb

can never tell if this is tongue-in-cheek banter..? but if it is related to rodents, touching or tasting it is an incredibly bad idea. (i have to deal with rats and mice in my trade)... from a government website:

"Both wild rats and mice can carry many diseases including hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, Tularemia and Salmonella."

if it's really bugging you what it is, you can put some in a sealed specimen tube (with an air tight lid).
it should be clearly labelled (with a date) and sent off to a pro-lab for forensic analysis. (use gloves to put substance in tube, wipe off tube, dispose of wipe & gloves).

if you have to deal with dead rodents, i use one of those "litter pickers", wearing disposable gloves. after disposing of "mickey mouse", dispose of gloves, wash hands and litter picker. ?

so professional.... (there's a trending word for people like this: "frenemies") ?

kind regards, nb
Tongue in the cheek banter, what do you think.

Lift them through a plastic bag, then pull bag inside out and tie it for disposal.

I'd be happy to never find myself disposing of another rodent, but such is life.

Edit: For clarity, I only recommend the above method be used for dead rodents.

Reply to What on earth is this?!? And where did it come from?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net