Discuss What was the best pice of career advice you've been given and what did you do with it.9 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.
I can recall many years ago, I had the chance to go to Cyprus for 1 year leaving my Family at home, a very difficult decision, but I needed the cash, many people told me I was daft, and wouldn't last, well I can tell you I did last, I grew up very quickly.
I was then offered 4 years in Moscow, with my family, we all grew up some more, thinking back, if I had turned the Cyprus job don, I wouldn't have had the chance to go to, what was then "the enemy's back yard" I wouldn't have had the chance to continue my career until I retired with a good pension.
D I regret it? no, Cyprus was difficult, but success, comes with some shyite along the way.

The one piece of advise I got when I was young and still use to this day is:-

Always look for the simplest way of solving a problem, spend a minutes thought save an hour's time.

I teach my apprentices this and they often look at me with "oh yeah... never thought of that.."

"people are often blinded by simplicity" David M senior

Always look for the simplest way of solving a problem, spend a minutes thought save an hour's time.

I teach my apprentices this and they often look at me with "oh yeah... never thought of that.."

When I was coming to the end of my apprenticeship I got teamed up with a bloke who I really looked up to and he always used to say "KISS, keep it simple sid".
I still use it today and find it really handy when you've got a sparx flapping around and a gas engineer scratching his head, over-thinking things.

I was trained in my early years by my Father, his favorite was similar to yours .
"Ten minutes thought is worth two hours work". The times when I have been stressed and not done this has proven how right he was.

Considering the somewhat bitter and cynical nature of my original post, I'm encouraged by the positive nature of the answers. Thanks Guys :)

Seems there is some new wave advice, take plenty of freddos to work with you, some say all sparkies should eat freddos, what ever they are.

Every job that pays a half-decent wage is gonna be stressful, so you might as well qualify for one that pays big money, then at least you get nice stuff for all the hassle.

Reply to What was the best pice of career advice you've been given and what did you do with it.9 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net