Discuss When trying to view a picture on a post i received a message stating i cannot view it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I should probably be sending this as an enquiry / private message to Marvo or another Moderator - but perhaps I can get the problem sorted on here:

When I tried to view a picture in a members post on the thread below [link to that thread below] by clicking onto the picture I received a Forum message which stated that I `do not have sufficient privileges to view it` or am I trying to Edit someone else`s post which is obviously not allowed - words to that effect.

The picture is in message No.8 from Member jreed110.

I thought that I had the `normal` Members privileges and I am NOT `trying to Edit someone else` post` - so I am wondering why this has occurred ?

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/diy-electrical-advice/97964-against-regulations.html

Hopefully Marvo or one of our other Moderators can either explain this or `Fix` the problem for Me.

"Thanks in advance".

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Re: When trying to view a picture on a post i received a message stating i cannot vie

Hi Chris, the thread that you have linked to is in the DIY forum. This is a closed forum that you do not have access to apart from general viewing. You will also notice that you can't post in that forum either.

Re: When trying to view a picture on a post i received a message stating i cannot vie

Hi Chris, the thread that you have linked to is in the DIY forum. This is a closed forum that you do not have access to apart from general viewing. You will also notice that you can't post in that forum either.

"Hello Sintra",

Thank You very much for replying so quickly and for the information as to why I cannot Post or view Photos in the DIY section of the Forum.

Please don`t take this as a criticism of the Forum:

Is it because I am not a `Qualified Electrician` and therefore should not be answering any questions for `DIYER`S` - who would not know whether what I wrote seemed to be correct ?

I cannot imagine why that would mean I should also not be able to look at Photos - perhaps the `technical process` of preventing Me from posting replies on the DIY section requires an `access ban` that also means I am prevented from viewing Photos ?

IF Me not being a Qualified Electrician is the reason I would have to wonder why ANY Member who is not KNOWN / PROVEN to be a `Fully Qualified Electrician` is able to reply to posts on any section of the Forum as they could easily be giving incorrect `technical information` to other Non Qualified Members to carry out Electrical works in an incorrect / unsafe manner.

I do realise that usually any incorrect / unsafe advice would very quickly be `Jumped On` by the Qualified / Experienced Members - BUT it is possible that someone would act on Incorrect / Unsafe information before it was `Corrected` by other Members.

Could You please help Me to understand this `No reply or photo view access to the DIY section of the Forum` better by answering my comments above - "Thanks again",

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

"Hello Sintra",

Thank You very much for replying so quickly and for the information as to why I cannot Post or view Photos in the DIY section of the Forum.

Is it because I am not a `Qualified Electrician` and therefore should not be answering any questions for `DIYER`S` - who would not know whether what I wrote seemed to be correct ?

IF that is the reason I would have to wonder why ANY Member who is not KNOWN / PROVEN to be a `Fully Qualified Electrician` is able to reply to posts on any section of the Forum as they could easily be giving incorrect `technical information` to other Non Qualified Members to carry out Electrical works in an incorrect / unsafe manner.

I cannot imagine why that would mean I should also not be able to look at Photos - perhaps the `technical process` of preventing Me from posting replies on the DIY section requires an `access ban` that also means I am prevented from viewing Photos ?

Could You please help Me to understand this better by answering my comments above - "Thanks again",

Regards,

Chris

You have jumped before thinking, you have no access because you have not asked for access, thats the reason

"Hello Sintra",

IF that is the reason I would have to wonder why ANY Member who is not KNOWN / PROVEN to be a `Fully Qualified Electrician` is able to reply to posts on any section of the Forum as they could easily be giving incorrect `technical information` to other Non Qualified Members to carry out Electrical works in an incorrect / unsafe manner.

I do realise that usually any incorrect / unsafe advice would very quickly be `Jumped On` by the Qualified / Experienced Members.

Could You please help Me to understand this better by answering my comments above - "Thanks again",

Regards,

Chris
Very valid points, I'm sure most will agree with you.

"Hello Sintra",

IF Me not being a Qualified Electrician is the reason I would have to wonder why ANY Member who is not KNOWN / PROVEN to be a `Fully Qualified Electrician` is able to reply to posts on any section of the Forum as they could easily be giving incorrect `technical information` to other Non Qualified Members to carry out Electrical works in an incorrect / unsafe manner.

I do realise that usually any incorrect / unsafe advice would very quickly be `Jumped On` by the Qualified / Experienced Members - BUT it is possible that someone would act on Incorrect / Unsafe information before it was `Corrected` by other Members.

Could You please help Me to understand this `No reply or photo view access to the DIY section of the Forum` better by answering my comments above - "Thanks again",

Regards,

Chris

Chris. The diy forum was set up so as the general public have a place to post their questions. Access for existing members is by request only as some are willing to help and others aren't. Those that do request access are generally well known with a proven technical input to the forum.

You have jumped before thinking, you have no access because you have not asked for access, thats the reason

"Hello MDJ",

I am not generally an `Argumentative Person` - but your comment above requires an answer:

Far from `Jumping without thinking` my Thoughts on why I would not have the `Member privileges` to view a Photo [or reply to posts] on the Forum / DIY section of the Forum made more sense to Me than the actual reason that You informed Me about.

I notice that Member micknew seems to be in agreement with my previous comments so perhaps they were not so `improbable` before finding out the actual answer ?

As usual I was `Ultra Polite` when writing my question / message - so although I was wrong - in that Members just need to Ask the Moderators for access to the DIY section - the further comment from Sintra in His next message here:

`Those that do request access are generally well known with a proven technical input to the forum`

does suggest that it would be better if Members such as Me with a very limited knowledge of Electrical Theory & Installation did NOT request access / reply to questions from DIYER`s - which I TOTALLY AGREE WITH.

But I don`t think that I deserved your slight `Reprimand`.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

If you would care to look at the "reprimand" again, you will notice it was not from me :)

If you would care to look at the "reprimand" again, you will notice it was not from me :)

"Hello Sintra",

PLEASE accept my unreserved apology.

I did not notice that Member MDJ had written that comment - I am going to Edit my previous reply to address my comments to Him.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

As Sintra mentioned, access to the DIY forum is on an 'opt-in' basis for members if they are not actually a DIY'er. This means that normal members have read only access in the DIY forum so whilst they can view the threads they can't see attachments and they can't make replies. (images are attachments which will only parse (be displayed) with permissions )

The reason it was set up this way was because there are members who aren't interested in assisting DIY'ers and also don't have sufficient restraint to stay out of those threads.

Well established members can request access to the DIY forum if they want to assist there and on the condition that they avoid making belittling or abrasive remarks access will be granted. We tend to restrict the access to guys with a proven track record of knowledge because firstly DIY'ers are likely to follow advice without question and secondly, with it being limited access there won't necessarily be someone else around to make corrections if bad advice is given.

Hope this clarifies things.

As Sintra mentioned, access to the DIY forum is on an 'opt-in' basis for members if they are not actually a DIY'er. This means that normal members have read only access in the DIY forum so whilst they can view the threads they can't see attachments and they can't make replies. (images are attachments which will only parse (be displayed) with permissions )

The reason it was set up this way was because there are members who aren't interested in assisting DIY'ers and also don't have sufficient restraint to stay out of those threads.

Well established members can request access to the DIY forum if they want to assist there and on the condition that they avoid making belittling or abrasive remarks access will be granted. We tend to restrict the access to guys with a proven track record of knowledge because firstly DIY'ers are likely to follow advice without question and secondly, with it being limited access there won't necessarily be someone else around to make corrections if bad advice is given.

Hope this clarifies things.

"Hello Marvo",

Thank You very much for your reply.

Without wanting to appear to be `Smug` about this - You have explained almost exactly what I was suggesting MIGHT be the reason for Me NOT being able to Reply to Posts or View Photos on the DIY section of the Forum - regarding Me / others who are not Qualified Electricians not being suitable persons to advise DIYER`s - ?

Your comments agree with everything that I wrote.

I had not thought about Members `abusing` the DIY OP`s.

Thanks again for explaining the situation much better than I had guessed at it.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

"Hello MDJ",

I am not generally an `Argumentative Person` - but your comment above requires an answer:

Far from `Jumping without thinking` my Thoughts on why I would not have the `Member privileges` to view a Photo [or reply to posts] on the Forum / DIY section of the Forum made more sense to Me than the actual reason that You informed Me about.

I notice that Member micknew seems to be in agreement with my previous comments so perhaps they were not so `improbable` before finding out the actual answer ?

As usual I was `Ultra Polite` when writing my question / message - so although I was wrong - in that Members just need to Ask the Moderators for access to the DIY section - the further comment from Sintra in His next message here:

`Those that do request access are generally well known with a proven technical input to the forum`

does suggest that it would be better if Members such as Me with a very limited knowledge of Electrical Theory & Installation did NOT request access / reply to questions from DIYER`s - which I TOTALLY AGREE WITH.

But I don`t think that I deserved your slight `Reprimand`.

Regards,

Chris
Your far too touchy, my reply was polite, very polite actually Chris, I have read my reply again and telling you you have no access because you didn't ask for it is correct, the fact the mods could still decline your request was missed in the comment I suppose, saying you jumped before thinking also holds ground. You wrote a large paragraph without actually thinking about what you wanted, a quick pm to a moderator or administrator would have been just the ticket, you started blabbing on about not critising the forum blah blah and looked a bit dramatic, as you are a little sensitive I apologise for any offence my little line may have caused you. Too many nancy boys walking around frightened of speaking is a problem here, as most sparks work in construction comments like the one I made are perfectly satisfactory and not nasty, suggesting that saying jumping before thinking is breaking forum rules is totally ridiculous, and indeed over acting.

Your far too touchy, my reply was polite, very polite actually Chris, I have read my reply again and telling you you have no access because you didn't ask for it is correct, the fact the mods could still decline your request was missed in the comment I suppose, saying you jumped before thinking also holds ground. You wrote a large paragraph without actually thinking about what you wanted, a quick pm to a moderator or administrator would have been just the ticket, you started blabbing on about not critising the forum blah blah and looked a bit dramatic, as you are a little sensitive I apologise for any offence my little line may have caused you. Too many nancy boys walking around frightened of speaking is a problem here, as most sparks work in construction comments like the one I made are perfectly satisfactory and not nasty, suggesting that saying jumping before thinking is breaking forum rules is totally ridiculous, and indeed over acting.

"Hello MDJ",

Firstly at NO POINT did I suggest that your remark about `Jumping` was breaking the Forum rules - where did You get that from ?

When I stated that I was `Ultra Polite` when writing my message I did NOT state that You were not polite.

I am NOT `too touchy` - my original comment about the `slight reprimand` was absolutely justified - You accused Me of `Jumping without thinking` - My guesses about why I might not have sufficient privileges to look at a Photo on the DIY section of the Forum turned out to be absolutely correct - regarding Non Electrically Qualified Persons not being suitable to reply to DIYer`s questions - see Marvo`s explanation.

I took your comment as a `slight reprimand` because of the blunt wording and the fact that it was highlighted in Red.

Apart from the fact that a Member would have to obtain the privilege to reply and view Photos from a Moderator my guesses as to why that would NOT be suitable / apply to ME or other `Non Electrically Qualified Persons` were perfectly accurate.

Also I am far from a `Nancy Boy` as You would see if You ever met Me.

I have worked in the Construction Industry all of my working life and I know what type of abrupt comments / `banter` is used - I can guarantee that no-one who ever met Me would ever use the term `Nancy Boy` towards Me without repercussions.

I look forward to reading some of your other Posts on here and especially look forward to seeing if You insult other Members.

Regards,

Chris

Okay, maybe we can all just leave it at that please before this get unnecessarily personal.

"Hello MDJ",

Firstly at NO POINT did I suggest that your remark about `Jumping` was breaking the Forum rules - where did You get that from ?

When I stated that I was `Ultra Polite` when writing my message I did NOT state that You were not polite.

I am NOT `too touchy` - my original comment about the `slight reprimand` was absolutely justified - You accused Me of `Jumping without thinking` - My guesses about why I might not have sufficient privileges to look at a Photo on the DIY section of the Forum turned out to be absolutely correct - regarding Non Electrically Qualified Persons not being suitable to reply to DIYer`s questions - see Marvo`s explanation.

I took your comment as a `slight reprimand` because of the blunt wording and the fact that it was highlighted in Red.

Apart from the fact that a Member would have to obtain the privilege to reply and view Photos from a Moderator my guesses as to why that would NOT be suitable / apply to ME or other `Non Electrically Qualified Persons` were perfectly accurate.

Also I am far from a `Nancy Boy` as You would see if You ever met Me.

I have worked in the Construction Industry all of my working life and I know what type of abrupt comments / `banter` is used - I can guarantee that no-one who ever met Me would ever use the term `Nancy Boy` towards Me without repercussions.

I look forward to reading some of your other Posts on here and especially look forward to seeing if You insult other Members.

Regards,

Chris
I think you did get a little touchy to be fair, My initial post was not in malice, breaking the forum rule bit was in regard to you posting up the forum rules which is visible at the bottom of the post box in reply to my post, what that has to do with me I have no idea as I was being helpful suggesting you couldn't post pictures in the DIY forum due to the fact you had to ask a mod for access, regardless of your opinion about a reprimand it was not the case, you just misunderstood the reply and the wording was not intended to be blunt, hence my being a little touch comment in the 2nd reply, by all means read the other posts, you may learn something, happy new year.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you did get a little touchy to be fair, My initial post was not in malice, breaking the forum rule bit was in regard to you posting up the forum rules which is visible at the bottom of the post box in reply to my post, what that has to do with me I have no idea as I was being helpful suggesting you couldn't post pictures in the DIY forum due to the fact you had to ask a mod for access, regardless of your opinion about a reprimand it was not the case, you just misunderstood the reply and the wording was not intended to be blunt, hence my being a little touch comment in the 2nd reply, by all means read the other posts, you may learn something, happy new year.

"Hello again MDJ",

Thanks for your reply and explanation from your point of view.

I still have no idea what You mean by `Me posting up the Forum rules` - `which is visible at the bottom of the post box in reply to my post` etc.

I can assure You that I did not add anything like that to my message to You - and I still cannot see anything additional to what I wrote at the bottom of that reply / message box ?

I had originally written my message / and the comment about the `slight reprimand` to Sintra who had previously replied to this thread - I had not initially noticed that You had written the message about `Jumping without thinking` so when Sintra informed Me that He had NOT written that I saw that it was You - apologised to Him and Edited my reply - addressing it to You.

For the sake of `Forum Harmony` and the fact that I do not want to fall out with You or any of our Members I will concede your point that my comment about the `slight reprimand` might make Me seem to have been `a bit touchy`.

But I would also offer the point of view that your reaction / reply to my words `a slight reprimand` was also `a bit touchy` - ?

I am certain that I would learn something from your Posts as You are an Electrician [Electrical Engineer ?] and I am NOT.

"Happy New Year to You and your Family"

Regards,

Chris

EDIT:
Could it be that the TITLE of this Link below in my original Post on this thread - to the thread [in the DIY section] where I could not view the Photo is what You thought was Me referring to `Forum Rules`?

LINK: http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/diy-electrical-advice/97964-against-regulations.html

The Link appears in my other message as
`Is this against regulations ?`

Perhaps this LINK Title [in my other message] caused You to think that I was referring to the Forum rules - it is actually the Title of the other thread.

Last edited:

Reply to When trying to view a picture on a post i received a message stating i cannot view it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net