Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you guys reply to this thread with the make and model of the van you use please?

I'm going to make a poll, but need some options to add to it.

Perhaps leave out whether its LWB or SWB etc for now, just the van make and model should do.

Thought it'd be an interesting thread for guys who are looking to swap their van to a different brand or whatever etc.

NEWS! - VansDirect now sponsor ElectriciansForums.co.uk - With vans from £25 per week, and expert advice, we're sure you'll find them beneficial forum sponsors!

View attachment 33755

Vans Direct Click Here
vauxhall vivaro

Had an '07 merc vito 120 (the quick one) since new. wouldn't buy another.

Pondering ordering a transit custom in the new year when they're making auto avaliable (london based). Why are so few vans avaliable with slush box?

Why are you binning the Vito? I've been casually looking at a crew cab.
It's a bit of a disappointment in terms of build quality TBH, not really any better than french or italian stuff these days, only with the added joy of merc spare parts prices. It's got 65k on the clock at 8 years and niggling stupid stuff going wrong, bits falling apart, I bought it and specced it high thinking it'd be 15 years with the milage I do before I'd even have to think about actually NEEDING a new van but here we are.

Nice to drive and with the 6 banger great occasional fun winding up angry zafira dad at the traffic light GP but fact is like most of todays cars they're built to last a 4 year lease. It's just me thats too stupid old fashined to get on the constant throwaway and get new shiney bandwagon.

Can you guys reply to this thread with the make and model of the van you use please?

I'm going to make a poll, but need some options to add to it.

Perhaps leave out whether its LWB or SWB etc for now, just the van make and model should do.

Thought it'd be an interesting thread for guys who are looking to swap their van to a different brand or whatever etc.

NEWS! - VansDirect now sponsor ElectriciansForums.co.uk - With vans from £25 per week, and expert advice, we're sure you'll find them beneficial forum sponsors!

View attachment 33755

Vans Direct Click Here

A poll would be a good idea if you're ready to put one up Dan? It would give a more clear picture of the most popular vans.

i think the best for reliability is a choice between VW transporter and Toyota Hiace. i've been told that hiace spares are a lot less than VW ones, but that's only heresay as i've never known anyone having to replace anything on a Hiace. ( apart from tyres ).

i think the best for reliability is a choice between VW transporter and Toyota Hiace. i've been told that hiace spares are a lot less than VW ones, but that's only heresay as i've never known anyone having to replace anything on a Hiace. ( apart from tyres ).

The Hiace reminds me of the old Mazdas, they were bloody awful to drive, the steering wheel was set at a stupid angle to the point it made it awkward to steer.
I've attached a couple of pics I just found to demonstrate to the youngsters how lucky they are these days.

s87.JPG

$_86.JPG

what do youexpect from a van.a driving position designed for an ape? :eek:

Any issues with the VW? I had one on hire for 6 months and it used a lot of oil.

It puts me off buying a used one if that's common. You could easily be below the minimum if you don't check it monthly. (I know you should, but many don't)

Nice @Sparky Pat, what size did you go for? I saw a SWB the other day and with the high roof it looked ideal, especially in black!

Hi Rpa07
I drive a 3.5 ton, med length, low roof in white. In the past I have had 3.0 ton vans [1.0 ton payload] and found that I was regularly 100 kg to 200 kg over weight especially when I had a lad working for me. I have a customer with a weighbridge so regularly weigh the van
Then started to connect up turbines [5KW] for a customer and used to pile on everything I thought might be needed, and did not want to risk being pulled in by the ministry as we were travelling up to a 100 miles from home.
Hence the bigger van but even now that I am working on my own the van weighs about 3200KG. It is surprising what tools, cable etc add up to.

my hiace is 3.5 tonnes fully laden. a bit slow though. lol.

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net