Discuss Wired socket. Earth tripping rcd? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.. If I could get a little advice, that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

Yesterday I replaced the surface mounted twin socket in my living room with a flush mounted one. This is the third I have done in my house, the rest of the sockets are already flush and these three looked very ugly!
It seemed to be a success. I took off the sockets and made the necessary holes in the walls, inserted the back box and used the same front plate that was already on the box.
I rewired them all, seemed pretty simple.
However, the circuit started tripping. Not immediately upon reset but after a few minutes. Nothing plugged into any of the sockets.
I removed the front plate on one of them and wrapped all the terminal wires in tape. This worked. The rcd didn't trip whilst the socket was disconnected. I wired it back up and once again tripped. Culprit found.

I wired the L and N back in and left the earth out. It did not trip.

tl:dr the earth in the socket is tripping the rcd when connected. It was not doing so when wired into the surface mounted box.
Any ideas why it would have started after the rewire?

Thanks a lot.

I suggest you have a look at how you've terminated the wires into the back of the socket and how they are dressed in the back of flush box you've fitted. Did you use rubber grommets with the back box?

The earth must be connected, and is doing you favour by causing the RCD to trip.

Last edited:
I wired the L and N back in and left the earth out. It did not trip.

the earth in the socket is tripping the rcd when connected.

The socket has developed a fault?
Try a new socket.

Reactions: 123
apic might help, showing the conductors behind the socket and ANY EXPOSED COPPER ON THE TERMINALS?

Reply to Wired socket. Earth tripping rcd? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net