Discuss Wiring diagram and ideas to resurrect dead Porsche 997.1 in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks again to all responders for the help and support.

I just wanted to post a final report on this project to get the 997 back into action. As previously mentioned it was “woken up” by replacing a set of components, the ECU, Transponder, Steering lock and Keys and a Gateway controller all coded to the VIN and I think there is another security code needed but I’m not clear on this, the whole set with coded done was supplied by a guy in Slovenia. With the car running but with almost all electronics malfunctioning or not functioning I found a local guy with a PIWIS 2, the porsche diagnostic and coding tool. There then followed several sessions of diagnosis and coding, we found the body control module had failed and I replaced it with used part. The diagnosis, fault code clearance etc was an iterative process, we also included a PIWIS dealer reset, it helped to have got a list of all options included in the specific car from porsche so that when coding we could make sure not to activate non-present options. If you do this the gateway looks for the non-present option and reports it as an error.

After several PIWIS sessions and the new/used BCM all systems are now go!

The only remaining issue is a puzzle.

If you start the car and check the dash display of error messages you get a “battery/generator” fault and when you check with a multimeter if the battery is charging you find it is not. However if you simply switch off and then restart the car within about 8 seconds the battery/generator message does not reappear and you find the battery is charging. If you leave it more than about 8 seconds to restart the fault remains etc.

I have not worked on this issue yet as it was not too much of an inconvenience to just do a quick restart and so I had good use of the car over the summer.

Thanks again everyone.

Best wishes, Matt

Thanks for the update, glad you're getting things sorted. What a nightmare though. The lesson being if you get a fault like this, get rid of the car straight away!

Reply to Wiring diagram and ideas to resurrect dead Porsche 997.1 in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net