Discuss Workers accidentally cut the wire... I'm looking for advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't believe Minor Works Certificates are applicable in the Republic of Ireland.
Well whatever cert does apply in NI then Westward 10 if any.
[automerge]1583338377[/automerge]
I don't believe Minor Works Certificates are applicable in the Republic of Ireland.
So you inferred in you previous. can you suggest an alternative method or are you just being obtrusive?

Last edited:
Regulations differ in the UK to the Republic of Ireland so alternative measures may be required. @Risteard will advise better if he sees this.
The first thing I would note is that there is red and black insulation on the conductors. Either this installation is quite old indeed (red & black went out in about the '80s off the top of my head) or was wired in incorrect colours.

As for minor works these do not have to be certified, but if a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) carries out the work then the customer has a right to request that a Cert No. 3 is issued with the "minor works" box ticked. Cert No. 3 is the certificate for works which do not require DSO involvement. (Prior to the introduction of Cert No. 3 there was a "Declaration of Compliance with ET101 for Minor Electrical Installation Works".)

But as the OP has stated that he will involve a REC to repair this then the REC should be able to advise on the best course of action. Certainly with the obvious damage I would be expecting that length of cable to be replaced - ideally back to the outlet it comes from.

One thing that has me confused is with the age of the installation (taking account of the wiring colours) why the socket-outlet is at that height. New work must be within the range of 400mm to 1200mm - perhaps it is lower there and I've just misjudged from the picture. If the socket-outlet is rewired it will have to be set at this height.

Pete I am suggesting few members on here are fully conversant with the requirements in the Republic of Ireland. Maybe suggestions for rectifying this issue are acceptable, maybe not. Those best placed to advise are members from that country so correct advice is given. Being obtrusive??

One thing that has me confused is with the age of the installation (taking account of the wiring colours) why the socket-outlet is at that height. New work must be within the range of 400mm to 1200mm - perhaps it is lower there and I've just misjudged from the picture. If the socket-outlet is rewired it will have to be set at this height.

The house was built in the 80s, so it might be an old original cable there. I've measured the 400mm is to the top of the socket-outlet. Is that OK?

The first thing I would note is that there is red and black insulation on the conductors. Either this installation is quite old indeed (red & black went out in about the '80s off the top of my head) or was wired in incorrect colours.

As for minor works these do not have to be certified, but if a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) carries out the work then the customer has a right to request that a Cert No. 3 is issued with the "minor works" box ticked. Cert No. 3 is the certificate for works which do not require DSO involvement. (Prior to the introduction of Cert No. 3 there was a "Declaration of Compliance with ET101 for Minor Electrical Installation Works".)

But as the OP has stated that he will involve a REC to repair this then the REC should be able to advise on the best course of action. Certainly with the obvious damage I would be expecting that length of cable to be replaced - ideally back to the outlet it comes from.

I don't think the socket is new work. The existing wiring got damaged during other works.

I don't think the socket is new work. The existing wiring got damaged during other works.
Indeed, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't suggesting that it was new work but that the electrical installation might be substantially old. As such there may be many other issues which should be dealt with (e.g. undersized tails; inadequate Earthing, bonding and neutralising; unearthed switches etc.; possibly no RCD on socket circuits and perhaps old Diazed fuses).
[automerge]1583341520[/automerge]
The house was built in the 80s, so it might be an old original cable there. I've measured the 400mm is to the top of the socket-outlet. Is that OK?
It's not an issue for the old wiring, but the 400mm is to the bottom (not the top).

My point is that if it is rewired then it will have to be raised to the new height.

Indeed, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't suggesting that it was new work but that the electrical installation might be substantially old. As such there may be many other issues which should be dealt with (e.g. undersized tails; inadequate Earthing, bonding and neutralising; unearthed switches etc.; possibly no RCD on socket circuits and perhaps old Diazed fuses).

You are right... the replacement of the fuse board is planned. This is how it looks now, old fuse, but I have RCD at least. I'm not sure how to handle the other possible issues you have mentioned.

IMG_20200304_171213.jpg

It's not an issue for the old wiring, but the 400mm is to the bottom (not the top).
My point is that if it is rewired then it will have to be raised to the new height.

Got it. Thanks!

You are right... the replacement of the fuse board is planned. This is how it looks now, old fuse, but I have RCD at least. I'm not sure how to handle the other possible issues you have mentioned.

View attachment 56159

Got it. Thanks!
My god, that looks like a downlight sticking out of it! ?

I'm not sure how to handle the other possible issues you have mentioned.
The REC should advise when replacing the distribution board, as we are required by RECI and the CRU to ensure that the tails are adequate (16mm^2 is the minimum permitted by the ESB - if you have old 6mm^2 tails for example then they will have to be replaced), that the main equipotential bonding conductors are sized correctly (minimum 10mm^2) with a minimum 10mm^2 Earthing conductor to the Earth electrode. Your main protective conductor (neutralising link) will, if not 10mm^2 be replaced with a 16mm^2 conductor - this would typically have been 10mm^2 before the T&E was replaced in 2017.

But your REC should advise on all of this.

If you don't have an isolator or meter with an inbuilt isolator and contractor's seal (realistically it's unlikely that you will for the age of the installation) then you will need to log a job with the ESB and pay them for the tails to be upgraded. The REC will provide a Cert No. 1 to this end.

Industrial type fuse I think. Can't remember the proper name.
It's a Diazed fuse.

Some of these were withdrawn as they were shown to be a fire hazard. They were replaced with Neozed fuses. Now MCBs and RCBOs are the norm, although a switch fuse could still be used for the main overcurrent device where the tails are less than 3 metres in total. Otherwise an MCB with a minimum short circuit current rating of 9kA (which realistically means a 10kA device minimum as no 9kA devices exist) must be fitted in an IP rated enclosure in the Permalli Box.

The REC should advise when replacing the distribution board, as we are required by RECI and the CRU to ensure that the tails are adequate (16mm^2 is the minimum permitted by the ESB - if you have old 6mm^2 tails for example then they will have to be replaced), that the main equipotential bonding conductors are sized correctly (minimum 10mm^2) with a minimum 10mm^2 Earthing conductor to the Earth electrode. Your main protective conductor (neutralising link) will, if not 10mm^2 be replaced with a 16mm^2 conductor - this would typically have been 10mm^2 before the T&E was replaced in 2017.

But your REC should advise on all of this.

If you don't have an isolator or meter with an inbuilt isolator and contractor's seal (realistically it's unlikely that you will for the age of the installation) then you will need to log a job with the ESB and pay them for the tails to be upgraded. The REC will provide a Cert No. 1 to this end.

Great! Thank you for such extended advice!

Reply to Workers accidentally cut the wire... I'm looking for advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net