Discuss Working on electrics with 2 supplies. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have little knowledge of PV.

When working on circuits supplied by a domestic CU, is it fine to just have the main switch off in the CU or should you be isolating the PV as well?

The stickers all over the CU's in this example all say to disconnect both supplies.

Working on electrics with 2 supplies. 20190520_110347 - EletriciansForums.net Working on electrics with 2 supplies. 20190520_110340 - EletriciansForums.net Working on electrics with 2 supplies. 20190520_110333 - EletriciansForums.net Working on electrics with 2 supplies. 20190520_110328 - EletriciansForums.net

Use your tester.

If what you are working on is dead, then good to go.

I have never worked on PV, from what I can see, sometimes the pv power comes in on a regular mcb, so even if mainswitch is off, you can get power on the bus bar.
Other way is it’s on its board, and connects through a Henley block before the DB.

I don’t know if one method is more “right” than the other.

You could always do your work in the middle of the night when there is no pv power being generated. ;)

I have little knowledge of PV.

When working on circuits supplied by a domestic CU, is it fine to just have the main switch off in the CU or should you be isolating the PV as well?

The stickers all over the CU's in this example all say to disconnect both supplies.

View attachment 49460 View attachment 49461 View attachment 49462 View attachment 49463
it's not just PV you need to worry about, UPs and Standby sets need isolation prior to working on, many organisations with multiple Supplies operate an AP, LV, PtoW system to allow for safe working

All off please !
Otherwise the inverter may kick in and liven up the CU ...
If this did happen then if I have the MCB switched off on the circuit I am working on, is there any way this circuit could become live? I can't see how? This isn't a reason not to isolate both supplies it's just for me to understand it better.

Is the worst case scenario the busbar becoming live in the CU (assuming all mcb's are off?

Don't forget the MCB is not isolating the neutral.

Isolate ALL supplies. As mentioned before there is a very slim chance the inverter could power up due to a fault.

I thought all grid-tied inverters,had to shut down,on the loss of supply,to protect supply personnel,on an outage...

The inverter itself should shut down so that it does not backfeed AC to the DB when the mains is off, although as mentioned one should not rely on that. Because its output neutral is not referenced to earth (until it is tied to the DNO supply) the SP MCB does not make it 100% safe if it did start up, as a difference in leakage could make the N more live than the L.

But, the main point of the '2 supplies' stickers around the inverter is to remind that with the AC off, the DC from the panels is still live unless it's dark. So before working on the inverter, both the DC and AC sides need to be isolated.

The inverter itself should shut down so that it does not backfeed AC to the DB when the mains is off, although as mentioned one should not rely on that. Because its output neutral is not referenced to earth (until it is tied to the DNO supply) the SP MCB does not make it 100% safe if it did start up, as a difference in leakage could make the N more live than the L.

But, the main point of the '2 supplies' stickers around the inverter is to remind that with the AC off, the DC from the panels is still live unless it's dark. So before working on the inverter, both the DC and AC sides need to be isolated.
Also see post 4

Pete makes a very good point. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the second supply 'must' be the PV, when there's an automatic backup set ready to spring into life the moment you pull the public supply main switch, and a hidden UPS in what used to be the computer room but now isn't, etc etc.

Reply to Working on electrics with 2 supplies. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock