Discuss Worst incident at work ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lofty

So what's been a bad incident for you guys.
Mine was last week, so far !!!.
Working in an old property doing a total rewire which has been empty for a little while, was in the attic and pulling the light cables under the floorboards up there when I reached under and ,yep put my hand right into a rat's nest , an occupied one :(!!

Cheers,
Lofty.

Worst i've had was working on a thatched cottage in Rutland. They had rodent issues so got the pest control people in to lay poison. The guy came and put out about 10 blocks which he said was good for 30 mice a piece. When he came back a couple of days later all the poison was gone so just a bit of basic maths will tell you how many mice traipsed through that roof space. Can't remember how many corpses i came across whilst running cables but the smell was awful! One of the worst jobs i had to do as an apprentice. Also had to core a 4" extractor hole on the same job in a wardrobe with the door shut to keep the dust in, that wasn't much fun either when you can't see the wall that's only a foot from your face, looked like a chuffing snowman!!! Done a few jobs on fire damaged properties too, that's never nice work as you always get covered in black and the smell stays with you for ages! Think my old boss took some delight in sending me on those jobs as i was on every single fire damage job we got. Can't think why i left now! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
being expected to balance on the top tread of 8 tread stepladder to wire up clik roses. refused point blank.

Did a council rewire of a recently vacated property ( 2 weeks)
Mattresses on floor and rubbish everywhere

Finished the job and a neighbour told me the guy who was evicted let loose a couple of hundred scorpions which were trapped and dealt with ( Yeah right :rolleyes:)
I saw none, but I was given no info that there might have been big bugs walking around under the boards

I wonder to myself if I would have done the job if I did knew beforehand, because I have a good tolerance normally of our spikey legged neighbours

Me and my old boss were putting some downlights in an old victorian property a few years ago. We had marked the ceiling which was old lathe and plaster to be overboarded and were about to start wiring, just had to cut a few holes in the old ceiling where the lights were to go, my boss not wanting to cut decided to just bash the holes through instead and proceded to smash clumps out of the ceiling with his lump hammer, First hole he made also took the bottom off an occupied wasps nest and withing seconds we were running for our lives. About 10 minutes later we were sat in the van with about 30-40 stings between us!!!

Also went to do a rewire on an old council house which had been used as a squat, after moving the old sofa and finding hundreds of used needles, I walked straight out and refused to ever go back. No way would I ever chance putting my hand under the floor in that place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Worst incident at work ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net