Search the forum,

Discuss Zone 1 or Zone 2? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickD

Got a bath with a 6" gap at the tap end between the end of the bath and the wall; the gap is finished with horizontal tiles. Within the narrow definition of the zones, would you say the space above this tiled area (up to 2.25m from floor level, obv) is Zone 1 or Zone 2? Space Corps Directive 701.32.3(ii)(a) defines the zone 1 edge at the outside edge of the batch tub so I reckon the tiled area is Zone 2 but would appreciate helpful views. Cheers.

agree, but common sense must prevail. as whatever was installed there would be within easy reach of a person in the bath, i'd proceed accordingly.

a socket for the mother-in-law's hairdryer would be acceptable ( joking of course, for the benefit of any DIYers that may be reading ).

you could argue that the 6" of horizontal tiles extended the edge of the bath.

You could, but extension doth not tub make.

But then if you had a 10 metre by 10 metre millionaire style bathroom with a bath in the centre of the room recessed right down to floor level, then by that argument the entire floor would extend the bath edge all the way to the walls and the whole room becomes Zone 1. This way lies madness, methinks.

Pull cord operated extractor fan, but in order to completely cover up a space which is currently a vent it will need to be 6"/150mm. Trying to keep cost down and supply part quickly. Sourcing a 6" pullcord fan suitable for Zone 2 is easier than doing the same for Zone 1. I'd be lying if I said I felt entirely comfortable (IP rating and RCD protection notwithstanding) putting a 240V in rather than a SELV, even if 701.55(viii) makes it OK even for Zone 1 as long as the manufacturer's instructions say it's OK. But then half the battle is finding one with manufacturer's instructions in which they've included details of suitability for which zones.

Pull cord operated extractor fan, but in order to completely cover up a space which is currently a vent it will need to be 6"/150mm. Trying to keep cost down and supply part quickly. Sourcing a 6" pullcord fan suitable for Zone 2 is easier than doing the same for Zone 1. I'd be lying if I said I felt entirely comfortable (IP rating and RCD protection notwithstanding) putting a 240V in rather than a SELV, even if 701.55(viii) makes it OK even for Zone 1 as long as the manufacturer's instructions say it's OK. But then half the battle is finding one with manufacturer's instructions in which they've included details of suitability for which zones.

if the fan is IPX4 then it's suitable for zone 1.

Then again, if I apply that logic I should feel just as uncomfortable fitting an electric shower, which curiously enough I don't.

just read a set of manufacturers instructions, here:

這是絕對的垃圾負荷,但適合覆蓋你的屁股3afuse

Check the manufacturers information. Their information is normally clear, unlike bs 7671

Good advice! I've bought a IPx4 fan before thinking 'that'll be fine for zone 1' and the maunfacturers instructions say 'no'!

However, generally IPx4 is ok for zone 1, its very clear in the BS7671, unless of course subject to water jets then IPx5.

Also, could you not just fit a 12V 150" if you are concerned about the mains voltage?

This one is 12V and IP57 so you could have it the bath if you wanted!! 6 Inch Low Voltage Extractor Fan - Wall / Ceiling

Last edited:
just read a set of manufacturers instructions, here:

這是絕對的垃圾負荷,但適合覆蓋你的屁股3afuse

Well there you go Nick... It clearly states you can use it wherever you like as long as fused down to 3A :smile5:

Also, could you not just fit a 12V 150" if you are concerned about the main voltage? This one is 12V and IP57 so you could have it the bath if you wanted!! 6 Inch Low Voltage Extractor Fan - Wall / Ceiling

Thanks, that's useful, I'll think about that one...although it looks like it's not supplied with transformer in which case best part of £100 total? (or am I being thick?)...ouch. And even then it doesn't specifically say it's good for Zone 1 in the catalogue listing or the Manrose tech sheet! Aaaaargh! It's a nightmare I tell you!

In point of fact I am over my issues about this fan being 240V because I have decided losing sleep over that while cheerfully fitting electric showers of the same IP rating would make me a muppet.

translated from the chinese:

This is an absolute load of rubbish, but for covering your --- 3afuse

Thanks, that's useful, I'll think about that one...although it looks like it's not supplied with transformer in which case best part of £100 total? (or am I being thick?)...ouch. And even then it doesn't specifically say it's good for Zone 1 in the catalogue listing or the Manrose tech sheet! Aaaaargh! It's a nightmare I tell you!

In point of fact I am over my issues about this fan being 240V because I have decided losing sleep over that while cheerfully fitting electric showers of the same IP rating would make me a muppet.

Yes, you would need to buy the transformer seperately, but I found that after a quick search, you're bound to find something cheaper, although TLC stuff I find is usually good quality.

Nick.. It's 12V and IP57... what more do you want!! :smile5:

Reply to Zone 1 or Zone 2? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net