Discuss 1 day re-wire.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i worked for a company that did that in a day total 6 lads worked on council houses in Cumbria.rewire the full estate . the tenants did not like it ,some had just finished the decor.

Think their business model is 3 electricians 1 labourer/apprentice and 1 plasterer To smash our rewires daily is pretty good going

I did loads of rewires as an apprentice and electrician, usually took 1 electrician and 1 apprentice just shy of a week to fully complete a basic unoccupied 3 bedder. We never did making good or painting , that was down to the homeowners.

Fair play to him indeed. He's doing very well at what he does. Not a way I'd like to carry on at all and not something any of my customers would tolerate. Seen one of his videos where they are using electric chasing tools and literally filling a home with dust.

I think I missed most of his involvement on this forum, but didn't he get caught out being a bit of a bullshitter a few times ?

It’s good going, don’t know how it can pay for them mind. My initial baptism was in the form of council rewires, minimal spec, between three of us, one a day, five a week. Absolute hell.

Take this job in the video

3 x electricians £600 , 1 x apprentice £65 , 1 plastered £200

Call it £900 labour

£500 on gear

Call it £1500 all in

Could easily bill out a 3 bedder at £2500

A grand profit is nice money , but hard dirty work

I notice the cables are run in slots rather than holes through the joists
The proposed burying of the cables,they are bunched together in a loom for plastering

There are possibly lots of procedures that may be questionable ( that may not be apparent in the video)but nonetheless they fulfill the aim,and that is to have the job done in a day,in all fairness in that respect they succeed

^^^ Agree, doesn’t matter how you look at it, corners have to of been cut, to get it done in a day. Why don’t they use double the amount of staff, they could do two a day!

Be interesting to see below the surface; bet none of the old wiring was removed, what was the loft space like, no thermal insulation, suitcases or Xmas trees to slow them up, etc etc :)

I notice the cables are run in slots rather than holes through the joists
The proposed burying of the cables,they are bunched together in a loom for plastering

There are possibly lots of procedures that may be questionable ( that may not be apparent in the video)but nonetheless they fulfill the aim,and that is to have the job done in a day,in all fairness in that respect they succeed

Looks like a fair number of cables run out of prescribed zones too. To be honest though given the time available a half decent job. The tester even made an appearance!

Not a sector I'll be looking to enter though!

4 blokes . Unoccupied Empty house Probably could rip through a full re-wire in a 12 hour day . Plasters follow them round patching as they go . Screw back all accessories last knocking while the patch plaster dries out .
Quick test at 5pm , home by 7pm.

Not the life I would want to leave but this fella seems to enjoy it , so good luck

It’s good going, don’t know how it can pay for them mind. My initial baptism was in the form of council rewires, minimal spec, between three of us, one a day, five a week. Absolute hell.

After a quick bit of research apparently they offer a fixed price on a 3 bed rewire of £3495+ vat.
At that price even allowing for the odd cock up or slight over run , if they can smash out the average job in a 12 hour day will be making well over a grand profit a house after everyone is paid and all materials paid for . possibly nearer 2 grand if everything goes exactly to plan.

The CU was very good. The plastering was not perfect, but as the guy said it was decent. When I started training we did lots of houses. Electrician and me did a three bed thirties house in 4/5 days (8 hrs per) Made good on all chases (our plastering was perfect!) cleaned up properly and a pretty perfect job if I do say so myself! Funny thing is when we had finished it looked like we hadn't done anything in the house. All you could see was a switch and sockets on the wall and a ceiling rose in the room. As for a day...well possible with enough people I'd say but not my cup of tea.

The CU was very good. The plastering was not perfect, but as the guy said it was decent. When I started training we did lots of houses. Electrician and me did a three bed thirties house in 4/5 days (8 hrs per) Made good on all chases (our plastering was perfect!) cleaned up properly and a pretty perfect job if I do say so myself! Funny thing is when we had finished it looked like we hadn't done anything in the house. All you could see was a switch and sockets on the wall and a ceiling rose in the room. As for a day...well possible with enough people I'd say but not my cup of tea.

Nearly every sparks I know , or speak to via forums started off life as a house basher doing re-wires.
It’s great work when you are 18 and love crawling about in sweltering hot lofts elbow deep in itchy. But I honestly don’t think my body could handle it now.
I still enjoy the odd bit of rewiring as it’s my bread and butter what I learned. But give me a board change now anyday...

Reply to 1 day re-wire.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net