Discuss 1 day re-wire.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well that was a decent read….

Fascinating listen back to all the critics with no clue…

The electrical industry is full of negativity and criticism, usually from the same folk who complain there is “no money in the trade”.

I’ve experienced it from day one in business.

Usually from the same few folk who complain improvers are taking their jobs, or painters make more money.

Time to look inwards.

Things are going well now for HomeRewire, we do around 8-12 private rewires most weeks, and have several teams….

Yes I lost a business aged 29 with 40 staff, mostly down to late payers and being too young.

It was probably the best thing to happen to me in all honesty, and the making of where we are today…

Thanks for your hearsay and gossip, it gave me a good laugh today.

Happy Sparking ?

Jamie - HomeRewire

ps. Admin we have already asked POLITELY for this post to be removed as it’s mostly factually incorrect and damaging to my business…

You responded by banning me from the page?

Let me know how you want to do this please

Some people like eating crap fast food, some dont. Some like rubbish cars. some dont. some work to very high standards , some dont. Some clients want a job well done. some obviously dont . Its possible to earn money doing jobs like this . many are doing poor quality work just to make coin . But dont stand too proud about it !

MArket forces dictate the standards of work ?

Say I quote £8K for a full rewire , allowing 2 weeks , all good gear , all good workmanship , all fully tested etc etc

Customer says £8K is too much and can't afford this so goes with local builder to do the wiring instead

Builder comes along saying he can do it for £4K , sends a couple labourers in to lash in the wiring and slings it all in , nothing in zones , all rubbish cheapo materials from poundland and no testing and no notification etc

Customer gets what the pay for

One day rewire spots a gap in the marker for 1-2 day rewires for £6K

Reasonable job , middle road materials , for the most part good workmanship if just a bit untidy

In fairness there probably was and still is a gap in the market for cheap fast house rewires

I did one a few months ago and it was a pain in the arse and to be honest i swerve them where possible

I still don't see why someone would want to regularly cut corners (joist notches, cable zones) just to be able to do a quicker job. Maybe occasionally admittedly!

I'm just hoping my mechanic takes his time when he fixes my brakes later this week.

Twin disc wall chasers and decent dust extraction units have made a big difference to the speed of a 1st fix rewire.

When I started out in the 1990s it was chain drilling using a 7mm sds hammer drill and then lump hammer n bolster. 2 full length chases and twin box per hour. Then spend the last hour every day cleaning up a mountain of dust and carp. It would take 2 full days to just get all the chasing in done on your own.

Today you can probably do 5 or 6 chases and boxes per hour using a twin disc cutter and box sinker.
With minimal rubbish to clear up at the end of the day and minimal dust to sweep up. You could probably do all the chasing of a standard 3 bed rewire in 1 very long day on your own.

I get the way technology makes things simple First fixes tend to be in empty property most of the time. There seems to be no covering of the residents belonging etc etc . I just think its nasty work

I get the way technology makes things simple First fixes tend to be in empty property most of the time. There seems to be no covering of the residents belonging etc etc . I just think its nasty work

Indeed. Did you see that thread the other day where the hob was covered in plaster dust and a trowel was just left on the top of it?

But then it takes time to cover things up I suppose. I wonder if the homeowner was advised that half their stuff would end up covered in dust and scratched?

I used to buy those thin cheap plastic dust sheets from the pound shop and cover eveything in them where practically possible. At the end of the job just roll them up catching all the dust and carp then throw them straight in the bin

I used to buy those thin cheap plastic dust sheets from the pound shop and cover eveything in them where practically possible. At the end of the job just roll them up catching all the dust and carp then throw them straight in the bin
Same for me and I tape up every door possible. Thats doors to rooms and doors to cupboards etc. Dust is a nightmare even with modern Nilfisk and Festool extractors

she was Swedish, not German, and she actually said " I want to be let alone".

Reply to 1 day re-wire.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net