Discuss 10mm radial ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i have a spare 10mm cable under my kitchen cabinets which i ran in ages ago intending to use it for power outside, however i changed my mind and used 16mm instead. so was thinking of putting all appliances on 10mm radial with fcu's.

can anyone think why this would be a bad idea ?

cheers

More copper is always better, although you'll need a JB to break it out into something that will fit into the terminals. Options include drop it to 4mm² or make a lollipop ring using 2.5, leaving the joint accessible for testing.

I suspect you will end up with a "lollipop" arrangement of a junction box and a ring of 2.5mm for the FCUs and/or 13A sockets.
[automerge]1601976346[/automerge]
Ah, Lucien just beat me to it!
[automerge]1601976472[/automerge]
As Lucien also points out, I'm not sure you get maintenance-free boxes taking 10mm size cable, so you will need something accessible. A deep back-box and blanking plate is one way to hide some DIN rail terminals or similar.

Any other ides for joints?

Last edited:
Lollipop ring, I like the sound of that!
There’s plenty of junction boxes available so that ain’t a issue
[automerge]1601976912[/automerge]
what size breaker ?

Last edited:
If it is feeding 4mm radial or 2.5mm ring then 32A B would be the norm. But it would also depend on the Zs at that point and, just possibly, the overall length/voltage drop. But at 10mm feed you would have a crazy length to see that as an issue in most houses!
[automerge]1601977457[/automerge]
Of course, it also needs RCD protection, so either RCBO or take the MCB off an existing RCD.

Last edited:
Alternatively,
Use it to feed a small distribution board in the kitchen
Feed from there to each appliance on a separate 16A radial.

Small kitchen CU.
I'm not keen on extra DB's, when not needed, but, compared with a lollipop on a 10mm.....good way.
Fair bit of external load for a 16mm. How many hot tubs?;)

10mm into a 32a JB under the units , 2.5mm ring coming off of that JB to feed the kitchen sockets / appliances etc off of a 32a mcb

Small kitchen CU.
I'm not keen on extra DB's, when not needed, but, compared with a lollipop on a 10mm.....good way.
Yeah I know!
Small shed CU
Power to summerhouse
And if I ever get it built garden studio
And maybe one day a hot tub
[automerge]1601992038[/automerge]
Small kitchen CU.

Last edited:

Reply to 10mm radial ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net