Discuss 16A oven ok on existing set up? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I appreciate that this is a question that has been answered a lot but each response I could find was for slightly different set up to mine, so hoping you guys might be able to advise. If any work is needed I will get an electrician out, but don't really want to take time off work and waste his time if nothing needs doing.

I have just bought a new oven which has the self clean and realised that it is a 16A oven where my last one was 13a. The previous one was hard wired in.

The oven specs are:

Grill 3100W
Hot air heating element 2300W
Top Heat 1100W
Bottom Heat 1100W
Power Circuit 3600W

I also have a hob rated 5800W

My current set up is a dedicated cooker RCBO with 32A at the consumer unit, this runs about 2.5 meters to a dedicated oven isolation switch above the counter which then runs to a white junction box underneath the counter where it splits with one cable going to the hob and one to the previous oven.

So I am just trying to work out if anything what I may need to change to allow my new oven to safely work, I have a feeling the 32A RCBO might need changing but i'm getting confused if you have to lower it to 16A to match the oven or up it because of the KW output.

Not that it makes much difference but as its only me and the girlfriend occasionally, I have never used more than the standard oven and 1 hob ring at the same time in the 2 years I have lived there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if any more info is required to make a judgement please let me know.

Thanks

Sounds like you should use a spark to wire it in if this is your question. It'll take him no time if you get the kitchen as ready as you can without touching the electrics

Hi @Fletch77 & welcome.

For your new oven a diversity factor can be applied, which give its suggested maximum operating load, but it seems the manufacturer has already done this by suggesting max load of 16A?

Together with your existing hob of 5800W, which I calculate a load of 14.5A, so both appliances in use together would be just over 30A.

Does your cooker isolator have a socket outlet? If not, as your existing oven supply is 32A (I'm surmising it is a suitable 32A supply cable etc), I would say it would be safe to reconnect your new oven.

How old is your existing installation? It may just be worth verifying everything is in order, via an electrician before proceeding.

Hi Midwest,

Thank you so much for the help. The cooker isolator switch does not have a socket attached. The wiring looks to be 6mm so I’m pressuring this is ok? I think the wiring was probably done around 20 years ago when it was converted into a flat, howere the consumer unit was replaced in 2016.

I may well call an electrician then just to have a look over.

What size cable is the cooker circuit run in?
What does the manufacturers instructions for the new oven say regarding supply parameters?

What size cable is the cooker circuit run in?
What does the manufacturers instructions for the new oven say regarding supply parameters?
Actually looking at the cable, I think it might be 10mm.

Unfortunately the oven manual doesn’t seem to state the supply parameters, it is a second hand one that’s a few years old.

it should be fine to connect into existing circuit. don't be put off by the gloom and doom merchants. after all, it's only 3 wire..........:eek:

It’s a family members old oven and is a pretty decent one and was working fine so it’s a known entity to an extent.

Thanks for your input though guys.

Think OP's already answered those.

His answer wasn't there when I started my post so our posts crossed.

OP- where did you get 16A from?

If it's 6mm and clipped direct, or 10mm then the cable would be able to take the (max) 41A load, just replace the MCB for a 40A one if the cooker is a 16A max load, but given the oven load figures the OP quoted it would suggest a separate cooker circuit would be required.

Thanks Fletch, although the English is somewhat questionable, ("the power mains....") that confirms that the oven needs a 16A supply so my previous comment about changing the MCB to 40A as long as the cable is suitable applies.

Reply to 16A oven ok on existing set up? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock