Discuss 18v li-on combi drills... Makita or DeWalt... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Choices to make...

All with 2 li-on batteries...

Makita (£139)
Dewalt (£149)
Hitachi (£99)

I've heard not to go near the Hitachi and the price tends to suggest it might be a false economy but if anyone has one please feel free to correct me...

What's the general Dewalt vs Makita consensus?

At that price you'll probably get 1.5Ah batteries which are ok if you only do the occasional DIY, but are a real PITA if you use the thing all day every day, forever charging batteries.

Personally don't touch a dewalt or Makita, unless its the end of the world!

I use the Dewalt with the 4Ah batteries and have no issue. They get abused all day every day. I think tools are like cars and to a certain extent are a personal choice in which 'tool snobbery' will play a part...

I use Dewalt personally just cos i like em, however my dad got the new £400 Makita 18v combi drill and impact driver set and they are amazingly powerful with so much torque behind them. I was very impressed

i got a AEG from b&q. had a single 1.5AH batt. as above comments, too small to last. bought the impact driver with 2 3.0AH, swap them around.

The panasonic 14.4v and a good sds . Don't think you'll need combi drill as you'll never drill brick with them, or won't be good enough to drill brick all day.. You'll not buy for years again... I have milwaukee but the combi drill is heavy and I don't use combi at all.. But whatever budget suits and look for best guarantee..

I got the makita with 2 3.0ah batteries, not had any problems yet, used every day without fail so far, at that price I would say they aren't 3.0 anything less an you may end up thinking "wish I'd got the 3.0 instead", just my opinion though I course

The panasonic 14.4v and a good sds . Don't think you'll need combi drill as you'll never drill brick with them, or won't be good enough to drill brick all day.. You'll not buy for years again... I have milwaukee but the combi drill is heavy and I don't use combi at all.. But whatever budget suits and look for best guarantee..

buy some multibits then. either irwin speedbits, bosch ones

or the cheap pirana tile/masonry bits i picked up.

havent found a wall yet thats a strugle and if it is ill go to van and grab sds.

go 3amp if you don't want to constantly swap batteries.

ive got two in my set and its rare i use up both batteries in a day

I know of 3 chippies who have the Hitachi and no problems with it.I have the Dewalt myself.Its fine for just drilling,only tried it once with a hole saw and it did not like it,not really enough torque.It cut out and smelled a bit toasted but managed to survive.

I know of 3 chippies who have the Hitachi and no problems with it.I have the Dewalt myself.Its fine for just drilling,only tried it once with a hole saw and it did not like it,not really enough torque.It cut out and smelled a bit toasted but managed to survive.

what size holesaw?

a friend of mine bought a nicad dewalt 18v for £100 for screwfix. he has no trouble on 2"/51mm holes.

not as quick as mine though but then mine was the most powerful one makita sold before they discontinued it

Reply to 18v li-on combi drills... Makita or DeWalt... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net