Discuss Adding electric to thin interior basement wall ( w/ furring strips) in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It's common in the US to build interior basement walls on masonry using furring strips covered with sheet rock. Is there a proper way to add electical outlets to these walls and is it required by code?

1613100904110.png

in the UK we would fit a 1" or 1¼ " deep galv. back box, chasing into the masonry where necessary.

1613104990740.png

You should focus on American forums, as UK standards follow the EU standards pretending that its theirs.
As some of the fundamentals of European Wiring safety (Comparison betwee currents flowing in and out) have Comunistic origins (even though unused in Russia itself), the USA is considerably behind in accepting them. This means that USA needs alternative forms of protections to compensate for it, which are no longer needed in Europe

as UK standards follow the EU standards pretending that its theirs.

since when? EU don't use ring finals or fused plugs as in the UK.

You should focus on American forums, as UK standards follow the EU standards pretending that its theirs.
As some of the fundamentals of European Wiring safety (Comparison betwee currents flowing in and out) have Comunistic origins (even though unused in Russia itself), the USA is considerably behind in accepting them. This means that USA needs alternative forms of protections to compensate for it, which are no longer needed in Europe
This forum has a US section and US members, thread moved.

A very misinformed post.

as UK standards follow the EU standards pretending that its theirs.

since when? EU don't use ring finals or fused plugs as in the UK.
There are diferences between following and copying. And many people disagree with ring Circuit because of the issues it cames with (but removing it from regulation has been discussion on a board for years, but its known that older electricians are proud of it because its theirs ? (Mine first smiley this year).
Fuses in plugs (rather then just before or on entry to the device) are of a safety benefit.

There are diferences between following and copying. And many people disagree with ring Circuit because of the issues it cames with (but removing it from regulation has been discussion on a board for years, but its known that older electricians are proud of it because its theirs ? (Mine first smiley this year)

Not just older electricians. The RFC is a useful circuit. And also if there is a break in the CPC of a ring circuit then at least the earth is not lost completely. If a CPC becomes disconnected in a radial then the earth is lost to the following sockets.

A very misinformed post.
RCDs are based on a research from east germany and Nacis research on live subjects in concentration camps which have then been applied (in East Germany) soon after the war. Inspection order has been common place in Austria since 1970s (and in countriers near by as an effect) in near the same order as done now. The fire rating regulations in DB was in many countries the original regulation with Plastic only in exceptional circumstances (EG in Slovakia/Germany/Austria in simple terms, if there are acessible main switchis within a reasonable reach) You will find most of the fundamentals are predated in Europe, But that is fine. Britan gave benefits too.

Not just older electricians. The RFC is a useful circuit. And also if there is a break in the CPC of a ring circuit then at least the earth is not lost completely. If a CPC becomes disconnected in a radial then the earth is lost to the following sockets.
yes, although since the limited current flow through the cpc this is less likely to give way (copper gives way very slowly, but it still does), but if you lose one of the cables in live or neutral (due to higher currents) then combined consumption is sustained without vysual signs (everything still works). I will leave you make your counterpoint (Which I will not answer), as this discussion has span now more then a decade and we will not solve it here.

in the UK we would fit a 1" or 1¼ " deep galv. back box, chasing into the masonry where necessary.

View attachment 64671
Thanks, I'm thinking to use 2x4 as furring strips (really 1.5") & then 1/2" drywall will give me a total of 2" of depth. I can then use a product like the one below. Still not sure if I have to have outlets by code but but thinking I can either run wire down to each outlet or split the furring strips to leave space for wire to run between outlets (as in figure below) the former probably being the easier idea.
1613159047601.png
1613159462325.png

here we'd not split the vertical timbers, but drill holes in them , hole size dependent on size of cable. for 1 cable feeding sockets, 1/2" or 5/8".

It's common in the US to build interior basement walls on masonry using furring strips covered with sheet rock. Is there a proper way to add electical outlets to these walls and is it required by code?

View attachment 64670
Yes it is common for carpenters to use furring so they will have something to screw their sheet rock into. Can’t explain why they don’t use 2x4. To add electrical it will have to be surface mounted

Thanks, I'm thinking to use 2x4 as furring strips (really 1.5") & then 1/2" drywall will give me a total of 2" of depth. I can then use a product like the one below. Still not sure if I have to have outlets by code but but thinking I can either run wire down to each outlet or split the furring strips to leave space for wire to run between outlets (as in figure below) the former probably being the easier idea.
View attachment 64684 View attachment 64685
Be careful with shallow boxes because all garages, basements etc. have to be GFCI protected and you will not be able to fit the receptacle in the box plus the wires. Your option is to use GFCI breakers

Reply to Adding electric to thin interior basement wall ( w/ furring strips) in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net