Discuss Are my qualifications relevant?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Served as an industrial maintenance spark and really want to get into domestic sparking full time, I've put the feelers out to a few electricians for some experience and would like to put myself through the relevant quals or see if any of my existing quals can be transferred (night school if poss gotta pay the bills in the mean time)

I have:

- NVQ level 2 (PEO) Performing of Engineering Operations (Electrical)
- NVQ level 3 Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- ONC Level 3 Btec Diploma Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- HNC Level 4 Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- AMA advanced modern apprenticeship Electrical & Electronic engineering
- City & guilds (PAT) Portable appliance testing
- City and guilds BS7671 17th edition wiring regulations

Please can someone advise? or inform me what sort of courses their apprenticeship involved?

If you're looking at going self employed, you're going to need to be in a scheme, so the best plan is to take a look at the schemes and see what qualifications they require.

With that list you should sail in from an experience perspective, but they do require some specific bits... like C+G 2393 (the building regs exam, commonly referred to a the Part P course), C+G 2392 (which is the fundamental initial verification).

NAPIT for example like you to have test and inspection quals if you want to list on their site as doing EICRs or Third Party inspection.

Can't help thinking you are going the wrong way. Personally I would love to have been grounded in industrial electrical work but as it is I am not and do err... not quite envy but do respect people with such skills. Are you sure!
C&G 2397 would do you well. Certainly it is true to say I could no more switch to your kind of work than you could mine. I do mostly commercial which is really jumped up domestic (no offence meant to anyone:)) and some domestic however there is a level of skill and techniques needed in domestic that would not be necessarily learnt from a more industrial end.

You have your NVQ level 3 and 17th, obviously the 18 will be required soon, that said it is experience that counts along side qualifications, are you ready? IMO Domestic is the worse end of the trade, but if that is what you want then go for it.

Why?
What’s wrong with industrial?
I don’t know the area you are in but in Manchester there are loads of maintenance jobs around. Companies just can’t find enough people.

Not sure if that NVQ3 counts towards electrical installation work?
It is what you need along side a CSCS pass and Testing qualification to get a gold card, although we laugh about gold cards on here the industry in general reconise it as a qualification.

It is what you need along side a CSCS pass and Testing qualification to get a gold card, although we laugh about gold cards on here the industry in general reconise it as a qualification.
I mean, I don’t think an NVQ3 in maintenance would be acceptable for applying for an Installation card?

I believe that to be an electrician in general you need 3 things:

Level 3 technical qualification e.g C&G 2365, 2357, 5357(apprenticeship) or other historic qual.

Level 3 NVQ

AM2 - 3 day practical skills test meant to mimic real life.

Once you have all 3 elements your are deem a real electrician. Now when you do you tech quals and NVQ you can go into Installation or Maintenance as they have 1 or 2 differing units. This will categorise what type of spark you are.

Now to do domestics is a bit different as you can just complete a 5 week wonder course at many of the money grabbing training centres and become a 'Domestic Installer'.

Which ever route you go down you then need to complete you C&G 2391 Test & Inspection and C&G 2382-18 regs course.

Armed with all these certificates you can then payout some more £££ and join a scheme (scam) like NICEIC, Napit, Stroma etc .... This allows you to sign off your work for LABC approval.

My advice is stick to maintenance as they are struggling to get good guys doing it up & down the country.

Money’s no good.

What sort of money do domestic electricians earn?
Genuine question, I have no idea.

For industrial pay starts at around £30k, although you get companies trying for someone from £26k, but that’s more fitters money.

Days tend to pay £32-36k.
FMCG 4 on 4 off can be £36-45k
Management usually £40-50k

This is for Manchester area.
There is a lack of skilled people at the moment, my company have been looking for someone since February.
I currently have two job offers to consider.

Reply to Are my qualifications relevant?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock