Discuss Bathroom zones with a ceiling shower head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well, for what its worth I'm VERY interested to see what the schemes say/define these changes as .......so over to them and lets hope they get their fingers out well before the 6th April '13

Why are we even chewing the cud here? IP999 to prevent morons frying themselves whilst furkeling about in a paddle shower stuck to the ceiling with blue tak and a bit of good luck. Regardless of what the literature in the big orange shed says, that shower has the potential of directly spraying water on anything in or on the ceiling so yes, your common sense probably is lacking and in this case the regulations have nothing to do with common sense, they're actually very clear, you only need one tall geezer using it to steady himself after a skinfull whilst cleaning his bits and the jets hit the lights. Work the rest out from the regs or get an electrician in. I'm also out.

So do you think the schemes will make all the registered competent persons registered third-party certifiers? Or are non Part P competent person installers going to find there aren't any third-party certifiers about?

Am I reading it wrong then?

I'm reading notifiable as:
- Installation of a new circuit
- replacement CU
- Work in a special location - redefined as effectively bathroom Zone 1
- Swimming pools

So no kitchens, outside sockets or bathrooms in Zone 2 & outside

no , that sounds about right on the part p changes.

So do you think the schemes will make all the registered competent persons registered third-party certifiers? Or are non Part P competent person installers going to find there aren't any third-party certifiers about?
Even if I were a scam member there is no way on earth I'd be putting my name on any install that was not done by me.

Didnt bother reading so Shower is on ceiling defo class as zone 1, you are getting wet are you not, bgb is a guide not a law as there are so many changes and this proves a change, so stick with idea im getting wet you will be fine zone 1 think your in zone 2 your strange, and breaking law as you will be in jail if it hurts LMAO.....

Didnt bother reading so Shower is on ceiling defo class as zone 1, you are getting wet are you not, bgb is a guide not a law as there are so many changes and this proves a change, so stick with idea im getting wet you will be fine zone 1 think your in zone 2 your strange, and breaking law as you will be in jail if it hurts LMAO.....
Brilliant.

What if I was really short and stood on the ceiling?

Moose not disagreeing with you but you are contradicting yourself..... you state the regs are a guideline which i agree with then you end with you are breaking the law Errrmmm! no it isn't; the 17th edition isn't the law its a regulatory guideline and if you dont follow it you can be subject to the law through various angles and your case is very weak if you don't follow the reg's

would the anti-gravitation generator need to be IP rated, or shall you fit it outside the zones, whatever you decide to class as zones. and can you let me have a copy of the amended zone diagrams, as the ones i've got in the bgb are clearly out of date.

The new definitions of special locations for building control purposes are being trimmed back. In bathrooms only work in a defined zone needs to be be notified - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf Page 6.

If anything below the shower head is notifiable then recessing the electrical fittings so that they don't project under the shower head would seem to put them out of the special zone.

I'm a DIY'er working on my own house but I do the work because I like doing it not because I have to and I like to do it properly.
This is not a change in the Part P Regulations, as already pointed out by Geoffsd.
It has been the case, that a special location is limited by the zones since at least 2010, and probably since inception.
The difference being, that the Approved Document now contains the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so is it the case that only zone 1 work would have notifiable anyway and what is changing on 6th April is the need for a Part P reg competent person to carry out the work in the bathroom?

So if that's the case, there would be no need to notify outside of Zone 1 and no need to use a Part P either to carry out the work or third-party certify it unless it required a new circuit?

IanHug;69325 Depends what you are actually signing.[/QUOTE said:
An EICR I would sign as that is an opinion, an EIC I would not because you are stating that the work complies. No ifs or buts

Reply to Bathroom zones with a ceiling shower head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net