Discuss Before PC in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00 pm. and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Play station’s, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,

no video/dvd films,
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at School. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

who has had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are not too good at your age anymore

Made me laugh, seems a long time ago, wouldn't do now would it, who's got four pennies for the phone, and where is the nearest phone box that works?

and don't forget when we broke glass in next door's greenhouse with catapult, dad would just go round and fix it. neighbour didn't go for trauma counselling, we didn't get taken into care even though we ended up with sore arses.

as far as i'm concerned, pc is a personal computer. the other meaning has no place in my life whatsoever.

as far as i'm concerned, pc is a personal computer. the other meaning has no place in my life whatsoever.

or a police constable,which we did actually fear in those days....and he did give you a clip if you were cheeky,now its child abuse,assault, jail,never work again if he done the same now.

and they wonder why there's teenage riots and violence on the streets.

Todays batch of life starters are never at fault

Its the system that disadvantages them,its the home situation or its the teachers fault.its the parent who did a bunk,its the girl for not keeping her legs closed tight or the shopkeeper who has the balls to put goods out without a lock and key or the police for ruining their uninsured untaxed un skilled jaunt in the neighbours car

Its always someone else to blame, never the poor little dears
icon10.png

I'm an 80s child (81) and i remember those days too...

(just want to feel included)

I got smacked as a child and it made a mark, but my mum wasn't sent to court... It was a punishment because i had been naughty!

Shame on the pc

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II via Tapatalk

My big gripe is the HSE getting involved in schooling, that along with the litigation culture.

I had an accident in the school metalwork shop, all I got from dad was “you won’t do that again”. No recriminations, no “we’re going to Messer’s Screwem and Shaftem”.

It was part of growing up!

Again, I was born after the early 70s but I still remember fish and chips (a rare treat) coming wrapped in newspaper, when milk was delivered by the milkman every morning, the dustman carried the bin down the driveway and emptied it once a week, the postman wore a peaked cap, teachers smoked in the staff room, kids were driven to school in a clapped out old 3 door hatchback with no seatbelts in the back, dog poo was easier to spot because it was white, the local policeman (in his shirt, tie and smart jacket with shiny buttons) held the respect of the community, and you could understand everyone else's conversations in the street.

Riding on the cross bar, building trollies from old prams, playing knock up ginger ( no not the local bike! ) hop scotch , slapped by the local pc for scrumping, teasing the bloke with limp who looked after the local car park- getting the cane - we were brought up to respect our olders , teachers, and were'nt allowed out on sundays ,

This is a great post and being a child of the 50's I remember all of these things. So what's changed for the worst do you think? People being overwhelmed by rules and regulations instead of just being allowed to apply common sense, and so many individuals no longer taking responsibility for themselves or their kids but thinking the world owes them a living.

Reply to Before PC in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net