Discuss Brightest GU10 LED - or maybe something else ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Viktor

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not an electrician but trying to research the following issue for our lighting needs :

I am replacing GU10 halogen lights with LED spotlight but have found the following problem :

I don't want to save electricity I want a much brighter living room/kitchen.

In theory since all the sockets rated 40watts I think I could get a 40 watt LED bulb that would be multiples brighter but so far the best I've found is only 9 watts and 850 lumens.

So the questions is if there's any brighter GU10 bulb out there? In theory a 27 watts LED could be around 2550 Lumen but I can't find anything online.

Floorstanding lights have this amazing 4000 lumen bulb, 3 of those would be great for our space but they look terrible/don't fit the style of the rooms and of course I couldn't put any of those in the middle of the kitchen.

Any comments, suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Viktor

I have GU10 sockets installed so that's pretty much it - I was wondering if brighter LEDs exist at all? Everybody seems to want to sawe power by searching for the equivalent of say a 50w halogen bulb, i want to go the other way - I'm looking for a usper bright LED that has a similar consumption to regular bulbs.

Am I making sense ?

There is no such thing as a 50 w led gu10

Look at the lumens output and remember that cool white will be brighter than warm white.

That's what I'm doing - so far what i've found the best one is 850 lumens - i have ordered it so soon can be tested but I keep searching if there's any brighter out there ?

I have 6x7w Led in place of 6x50w halogens preciously. They are far far brighter than what I had originally. Even during daytime they brighten the place.

Not sure the lumen output on them, but I think the 5W Bell gu10 I use for jobs are pretty bright @350 lumens. So those 850 lumen ones are gonna be extremely bright I’d imagine.

I'd be looking for 3 x 4000 lumens but those would be floor standing floodlights and they would look ridiculous in our living room but I can't place 15 LEDs as I have only 6 sockets so i'm looking for the brightest LED possible, around 2000 would be nice.

I've used 350 lumen lights before and they are extremely dark, you probably can't read a book properly by that output.

No I'm not joking - I have only 6 GU10 sockets in a large kitchen-living room space - it's very long and room, about 13 meters that is about 4.5 - 5 meters wide in one and and narrows down to zero with a curved wall on the outer side.

In this space the 6 x GU10 halogens worth about zero so i'm replacing them normal LEDs but they're still pretty dim to my taste.

I have seen 4000 lumen lights in John Lewis, the kind the lights your ceiling and provides a nice flood in the room but because of the shape I'd need 3 of those = 12,000 Lumens total but they're ugly and as I wrote before I can't put one in the middle of the kitchen so I'm looking for some kick---- super bright LEDs, so far the best I've found is 850 lumens.

I'm simply wondering if there's any better/brighter or if there's any other solution that solves my problem ?

I don't think you will get much more out of a GU10 configeration.
The main limitation is heat dissipation.
The bigger the LED light the more heat it has to dissipate.
Thus the shell is bigger to dissipate more heat.
I have seen 3000 lumen Led bulbs
But their big, about the size of an 300w incandesant bulb.

Wait until you get the 9watt and test that - as has been said, for the size of a GU10 9 Watts 850 lumen is bright.
As Murdoch said change the ‘k’ colour from 2700k halogen(warm white) to cool white 4000k as this may suit you better. 6000k colour is a blueish daylight and doesn’t suit a lot of places.
Wait to test the 9watt

No I'm not joking - I have only 6 GU10 sockets in a large kitchen-living room space - it's very long and room, about 13 meters that is about 4.5 - 5 meters wide in one and and narrows down to zero with a curved wall on the outer side.

In this space the 6 x GU10 halogens worth about zero so i'm replacing them normal LEDs but they're still pretty dim to my taste.

if there's any other solution that solves my problem ?

To put it simply you don't have enough downlights.

Rule of thumb, 800mm off the walls and no more than 1.4 meters apart.

You have 2 options:

1. Add more downlights

2. Use plugged in lights too

-Replace existing lights with larger E27 'commercial' type downlights. Then use E27 LED corn lamps.

-Try GU10 to E27 adaptors. Then use E27 LED corn lamps. Although the lamps will stick out of the current downlights.

The other thing to consider is beam angle, e.g. a 60' beam angle will provide more light directly below it, than a 120' one of the same lumen output. The 120' one would provide more overall light, but might not be bright enough for you, sat underneath to read a book for example.

You could consider having some of these installed, to replace your existing down lights. The manufacturer may be able to advice you, on the lighting style you are trying to achieve?

FGLED10 – The High Output Fire-Rated LED Downlight | JCC Lighting - http://www.jcc.co.uk/fgled10/

Edit, as Murdoch says, your existing layout may restrict your desired lighting levels

Reply to Brightest GU10 LED - or maybe something else ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net