Discuss Broken lamp! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Unfortunately my son pulled this lamp over today and it snapped the fitting off. Oops! It looks like it may snap back on but I’m not certain which way to put it. I’m hoping someone on here will know so I can give it a go. I guess I only need to know if the blue wire goes underneath the pin that is vertical or horizontal? And if it matters which of the holes (where there are two together) the wire goes in to? It looks like it just slots in no little screws anywhere to tighten it.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 5E97111B-AAA1-4A62-9A51-9CC076CE5EB1.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 241B8232-4D50-4C0B-B482-6B2741135426.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AFAAC0BE-B97A-4524-895D-284237C29AE9.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 20
It doesn't particularly matter which way around they go. If there is no slack on the disconnected cable then it needs to be released somehow to reconnect.

It doesn't particularly matter which way around they go. If there is no slack on the disconnected cable then it needs to be released somehow to reconnect.
Hmm it doesn’t seem broken, it looks like it’s popped out but I might find that’s not the case when I try and put it back, you’re right. Fingers crossed it’s ok. I’m not sure what you mean by the other side. You’re talking about the picture which shows where the bulb inserts right?

Obviously keep it unplugged while it is like that.

Just pushing the top back on will likely not make a proper connection and could lead to flickering or sparking.

The ends of the wire need to go into one of the holes on each side, which have push fit springs in them, but you probably will need to pull the black flex up some first before you can do that, then hold the cable with some long nose pliers or similar to ensure it makes a tight connection -

Only then might the top snap back in.

The top bit that has come off may be marked L and N on the sides of the holes - in which case the L would be the brown wire, and N the blue. They will probably line up with L being the flat metal bit in the lampholder, and N the side piece.

The screw thread in the second photo tells us that the lamp takes Edison screw (E27) bulbs, in which case the live (brown) cable should be attached to the horizontal connector on the right of the middle photo, and the neutral (blue) cable to the vertical blade on the left. This is to make sure that the screw thread of the E27 lamp is connected to the neutral and not the live - if you reverse them you run the risk of touching the screw thread of the bulb and getting an electric shock.

It looks like the ferruled cable ends should push fit back in, but as @westward10 said you may well have to find some way to get some slack in the cable to push these back into the underside of the fitting shown in your third photo. This may be a bit difficult to do as there'll probably be some form of cord grip inside the lamp stem that prevents you from pulling the cable through from the base. You can't just put the fitting back together and hope for the best - you must make sure the two connections are secured properly before you power the lamp on again.

-Stewart

The screw thread in the second photo tells us that the lamp takes Edison screw (E27) bulbs, in which case the live (brown) cable should be attached to the horizontal connector on the right of the middle photo, and the neutral (blue) cable to the vertical blade on the left. This is to make sure that the screw thread of the E27 lamp is connected to the neutral and not the live - if you reverse them you run the risk of touching the screw thread of the bulb and getting an electric shock.

It looks like the ferruled cable ends should push fit back in, but as @westward10 said you may well have to find some way to get some slack in the cable to push these back into the underside of the fitting shown in your third photo. This may be a bit difficult to do as there'll probably be some form of cord grip inside the lamp stem that prevents you from pulling the cable through from the base. You can't just put the fitting back together and hope for the best - you must make sure the two connections are secured properly before you power the lamp on again.

-Stewart
That lampholder is not polarity biased.

I think that lamp holder has the shroud required in BS EN 60238 (though I don't have a copy), so that makes polarity not essential. Though good practise would mean I'd always wire it correctly anyway, just in case the shroud became damaged.
Yup, that is the latest design - the screw thread is insulated and only makes contact when the lamp is screwed almost fully in.

So polarity doesn't strictly matter

I think that lamp holder has the shroud required in BS EN 60238 (though I don't have a copy), so that makes polarity not essential. Though good practise would mean I'd always wire it correctly anyway, just in case the shroud
I have never really understood "good practice," where is this referenced it is either correct or incorrect and not a matter of good or bad practice in terms of compliance.

I have never really understood "good practice," where is this referenced it is either correct or incorrect and not a matter of good or bad practice in terms of compliance.
Compliance is only the minimum standard to work to though, and often not prescriptive.

In this case perhaps I don't mean good practise so much as not trusting the manufacturer to completely meet their requirements, or to go any further than they absolutely have to in what they provide.

So in a case where I have a choice and there is no time or financial penalty for me to do something, I'd do it the way that presented the least potential risk.

Reply to Broken lamp! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net