Discuss Bungalow quote rewire prone to flooding! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

ukpablo

Hi
got to quote a bungalow on fri for a complete rewire, its empty, complete rip out.
Its a 2 bed which has flooded twice in the past 5 yrs due to its close proximity to the river severn......................any suggestions with how high to reccomend sockets............cu height.................?

dont know the location of the service head yet until i have a look?
can this be moved to above head height?

just a bit of advice would not go a miss before i meet with them on fri.
also any other pointers really.

:confused:

On the first floor!! At height that will minimize the risk of damage to the outlet or plug and flex etc. Take the height of the highest flood and add a bit I'd have thought but don't know for sure. PS Are you fitting floodlights as well?

what about regs height?
this will still apply, however im unsure about the service head?
floodlight i dont know yet?....why?

BRB 522.3....... I think this gives you design freedom for the heights of sockets and c/u. Can't find concrete regs for you to quote but I hope this helps. Just put all sockets six inch above the highest previous flood mark and drop all cables from the ceiling. If not, when it floods again its another rewire. Or use waterproof sockets, think b&q do them :p

This has bugged me. I've looked at all c/u regs in brb and can't find anything apart from it has to be accessible. So long has the occupants are not vertically challenged put it where you want it (within 3m of course). Regarding sockets 450mm is a minimum. If customer knows it may flood again they should be ok with higher than normal plug points. Appx 8 OSG may help. If any of this is incorrect please put me straight, just don't shout too much.

IMO phone NICEIC or whatever scam your registered with and ask their advice as if they choose to visit that as your assesment they will ask why,who said? ect Or the local planning dept as they will be familiar with the situation re the flooding your DNO will advise if they will or wont move the head ect ( bear in mind that THEY have the last say and it can depend on the right person answering your request )

I personaly would do as previously said around 300mm above last flood height so long as this isnt above 2000mm ish bearing in mind that the person occupying the house will have things lower than this

thanks guys.......................bit of an unusual one this, will bell elecsa after site visit with any issues raised???!

:)

Hi okpapblo,

Just a thought that you could contact the local coucil building dept and ask about building regs regarding socket heights where flooding is a problem? I feel certain that they will have information on this.:)

or put the customer in touch with " we buy any house.com"

Reply to Bungalow quote rewire prone to flooding! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net