Discuss Can an electrician move my BT Openreach socket for Infinity / telephone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jonwade

I just spent 40 minutes on BT custhelp chat trying to get a simple answer and the person could not help me!

All I want to know is, can I get an electrician to move a BT wall socket (not master) from one room to another (new office in loft conversion, directly above old office where BT installed the open reach).

Pic of socket.
IMG_20151008_233046350.jpg

The BT Cust help did say it would cost £205, which seems a lot to run a couple of cables up one floor. But maybe it is more complicated than that?

He also said that I could get an electrician to do it (although that conflicts with what I read on another forum, that the socket belongs to Openreach and they need to move it). When I asked about what cables to use, he said "normal ones" (took 40 minutes to get that far).

If this is a job a local (Chelmsford, Essex) electrician can do, approx what would be the charge?

I have asked the builder to ensure that there is a clear run down the back of the plasterboard from new office to current one, so hopefully it will be a straightforward job.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes a normal electrician can do it.

as long as you have a live phone line they can move it.

i dont know how long it would take without looking but i would have thought half that would be more reasonably but it could be less it depends who does it

Would it be possible to add another socket to the OP's attic and just connect to the one in the pic. Might be less work or easier.

As said that is an NTE5, which should not be moved other than BT, why don't you leave that insitu, and get the Electrician to run an extension off that, obviously off the front plate.?

Do as the other guys suggest. Moving the master is not a difficult job, but if your phone doesn't work after, BT will charge you £130 just to come to your door. Chance you take.

Ok,
The best approach is to put the cables down the partition to the existing master socket, and the master socket is designed so the front plate comes off (undo the lower screws) and allows wiring to the front plate from the rear. This makes for a very neat job.

To speed up the job for the electrican, or whoever run 2 lengths of Telephone Cable CW1308 Six Core White (priced per metre) | Maplin from the exisiting master socket to where you would like your new phone socket. I have chosen 6 core so that when you want a second phone line in you won't need to run a second cable. Have a read of https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357...ster-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket one new socket must be DSL ONLY and the other can be used for your phone service....

Thanks. I have contacted a local electrician who is having a look next week. Probably safer to get somebody to do it and test it all works, than me messing about with it and then having to call BT to fix it!

Have a read of https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357...ster-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket one new socket must be DSL ONLY and the other can be used for your phone service....

IMO not a good "How to" in that link, shows a lack of research and knowledge on the subject.

It would be better to use an RJ45 socket for the DSL extension then you can plug the RJ11 router connector into it rather than faffing around getting a standard BT lead. Also using a different socket differentiates between phone and DSL service

Reply to Can an electrician move my BT Openreach socket for Infinity / telephone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net