Search the forum,

Discuss Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I understand where you are coming from Dillb but he now knows its wrong to add sockets to a kitchen. The choice is his.
I had to have some extra sockets in my kitchen. I could have done it myself, but Im not Part P registered. I had a choice. I chose to get a leccy in and do the job, and get all the paper work

Yep thats right but he can still do and no regulation police will visit and if there is a problem say selling the house then he gets an IEICR and as for the sheds selling the equipment mmmmmmmmmmm a bit like its ok to grow waccy baccie but you cannot smoke it

The title of this thread is

[h=2]Can I legally rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself?[/h]To which the answer is no, not unless you do the paperwork with the local authority and pay their fee.
Then you will need to demonstrate your competent handiwork.

as above from other guys, maybe look at part p free to download from planningportal, if you havent done anywork since it has been introduced i would suggest getting someone else in.

But who knows what people are going to do with stuff brought from the big sheds, it may be for a office block in which case they can do as they please. Where if nothing bad happens to anyone due to the installation they will be fine. Where as us mortal sparks have to justify our worth to simply add a socket in out own kitchen.

If the truth be known, the vast majority of the big shed sales of CU's, are to S/E electrician's, many here have stated just that, where they are confirming buying CU's from the big sheds....

maybe I'm just being dumb here, or pedantic, But the question was can he do it legally and as far as I'm aware he would not be breaking any laws by doing it therefore not illegal.

I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea for diy electrics far from it but it's not illegal.

Number of electrical jobs that need notifying that aren't= 100,000s
Number of people prosecuted for not notifying work= 0

You do the maths.

I am sorry but I'm not getting at you.

But a general comment.

We as electricians should not be promoting or encouraging in any way with any of our comments on this fourm, DIY electrics.

If we do, as we do in a lot of the posts in a lot of the threads, then we can not blame the gov. for introducing an in-effective Part-P reg.

We all know the state of our profession. and any time we sniff any DIY punter, we should state the law as it applies, and not any comments that may encourage DIY electrics.

Agreed, but only a numskull wouldn't use the info to haggle the price of the property down. I would. It has widening ramifications because you could then argue that if the vendor can't get the wiring correct then other utilities could be iffy also?

As an aside, I know we all hate Part P, but why do sparks so readily tell people on this forum to ignore the rules, particularly when people are grubbing around for work? Sort of, counter productive isn't it? It doesn't generate work for anyone and gives the public the impression that if we don't care about the industry then why should they? I don't hear my local gas fitter telling customers to ignore the rules and do their own installations?

Hear Hear.

maybe I'm just being dumb here, or pedantic, But the question was can he do it legally and as far as I'm aware he would not be breaking any laws by doing it therefore not illegal.

I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea for diy electrics far from it but it's not illegal.

I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is this.

Building regulations are Law
Part P covers a certain scope of electrical work including altering circuits in special locations
Part P says that any work that falls within the scope should be notified.
Not notifying is breaking building regs and hence the law.

I thought this was the whole point of part p, he nonly break down in the system being the enforcement.

as above from other guys, maybe look at part p free to download from planningportal, if you havent done anywork since it has been introduced i would suggest getting someone else in.

Well, I know many people don't like it
but
Building Regulations is STATUTORY
that means you are breaking the law unless you comply with the legislation.

Unlike BS7671, which is not statutory.
however
The Part P P1 statutory instrument (the legal bit) says you gotta install stuff so it is safe. And we wouldn't argue with that, would we.
but hanging on the back of P1 it is the Approved Document and that is where the notification stuff is put to annoy everyone.
Nad in the Approved Document is says something like electrical works should be installed in accordance with something like BS7671.

So you need to do it all, or just ignore it and hope it goes away.
Your choice. A bit like drinking and driving.

I am sorry but I'm not getting at you.

But a general comment.

We as electricians should not be promoting or encouraging in any way with any of our comments on this fourm, DIY electrics.

If we do, as we do in a lot of the posts in a lot of the threads, then we can not blame the gov. for introducing an in-effective Part-P reg.

We all know the state of our profession. and any time we sniff any DIY punter, we should state the law as it applies, and not any comments that may encourage DIY electrics.

But here is the problem, this bloke wants to do a little extra work around his own home. He has to comply with Part P

If he wanted to build a 3,000,000 sq meter warehouse non of the electrics have to comply with anything just as long as nothing goes wrong with it. Now tell me in which circumstance is something more likely to go wrong.

It is ludicrous that Part P applies only to domestic installations....as if to say that safety in industrial or commercial property is in some way less important.

But a simple EICR seems to get round this problem, which costs anywhere between £35- 250 so the cost of doing themselves is massive even when this problem arises.

And the joke here is that anyone who is competent can perform an EICR!!! So, do the work yourself, don't notify. When in five years time you come to sell and some conveyancer wants to make an arse of themselves, perform an EICR. Pointless exercise, and people wonder why we give the scams such a hard time.

Well I stand corrected then.
Perhaps I shouldn't have stuck my nose in. Part P doesn't apply here in Scotland and I obviously know less about part P than I thought.

I wonder what the penalty is for not notifying work you are clearly competent to do in your own home is.
Death by stoning?
The Electric chair :)

I can fully understand why part P exists but it just seems to punish the people who did things right in the first place.
And well lets face it cowboys arent going to stop being cowboys just because of part P which to me looks unenforceable.
However the compulsory scam registration does at least give the householder some measure of protection from John Wayne and friends.

Here in Scotland a more stringent scheme by building control was binned not that long ago.
Basically because not all registered electricians were good and not all unregistered electricians were bad.
I think BC worded it as varying standards :)

My apologies if my lack of part P knowledge got up anyones nose :)

Well I stand corrected then.
Perhaps I shouldn't have stuck my nose in. Part P doesn't apply here in Scotland and I obviously know less about part P than I thought.

I wonder what the penalty is for not notifying work you are clearly competent to do in your own home is.
Death by stoning?
The Electric chair :)

I can fully understand why part P exists but it just seems to punish the people who did things right in the first place.
And well lets face it cowboys arent going to stop being cowboys just because of part P which to me looks unenforceable.
However the compulsory scam registration does at least give the householder some measure of protection from John Wayne and friends.

Here in Scotland a more stringent scheme by building control was binned not that long ago.
Basically because not all registered electricians were good and not all unregistered electricians were bad.
I think BC worded it as varying standards :)

My apologies if my lack of part P knowledge got up anyones nose :)

There is still a requirement to comply with the Scottish Building Standards, or is it now going to be suggested we ignore that too if it doesn't suit?

Im with Dillb on this one.
This guys, is by all rights a qualified electrician and its his own house. If he were to say "I plan to do 100 notifiable jobs a year, shall I bother getting registered?" I'd say yes, but to this....well I dont know why hes even bothered starting this thread. Is he worried the electrical gestapo have set up hidden cameras in his house and are waiting to pounce on him the second he opens a faceplate?

The thing about house sale is absolute balls. The only way it will ever come up is if the buyer has an EICR done as part of a survey, which most don't and if they do, and the work proves fine, which we'll assume it will as this is irrellevant to part P, then there is not going to be an issue. The buyer will have a report which may tell them there has been alterations done at some point since 2004 (or whenever it was blue and brown came in) and that the alterations have all been done properly and test out fine.

Also there is nothing to stop the OP filling out his own EIC or EICR which he can present to a buyer.

To summarise
Can you do it legally? No technically not without paying LABC a whole load of money.....
Should you do the work yourself? If you have the time and the ability, you'd be an idiot not to

I am sorry that I'm not getting to you.

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ring-main-replace-myself-2.html#ixzz1z7mj7Ki4

Reply to Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock