Discuss Car insurance for young drivers in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

My son, who is just 19 has just received his insurance renewal and its £524

Not bad I think, but as he's shortly to start a full time job/ apprenticeship I told him to make sure they knew about his change of status from "student" to "apprentice" and he also needs a higher mileage too due to the commuting....

His current insurer won't touch him as they have an annual limit of 10K miles and he needs 12K

So far the cheapest is £825 - ouch

This was obtained using go-compare

I believe he's used another site and got similar prices

Anyone got any helpful suggestions?

Thanks

On me axa directly, seem to be the best for young drivers Nd cuts out the bit added on by go compare and other websites. Just tell them what it was and see if they can't beat it they always do on my experience

consider one of them black boxes to get the quote down, they send emails reminding you to drive safe etc etc.. but quote stays same for year, the box is used to determine renewal price but at least if you have no accidents then you still get a years no claims for elsewhere.

go via a cashback site too, even if you only get £25 back it still counts.

Also if you keep entering the same details and reg number on these sites its logged and they recognise that and the prices reflect it, also for some reason insurance is cheaper to buy during the day time mid week. the system ups price in evenings and weekends! its a fact.. as hard as that is to believe....

Could start policy on say 10k miles and if towards end of year say month 10 hes getting close ring them to up the policy to 12k miles, chances are they will turn around and offer a new 12 month one at new premium, worse case they will increase premium for the last 2 months. also he would have say an extra 10 months no claims to add to it. could also increase the excess by 100 quid. sometimes makes a difference.

edit:
Also forgot to add, why not consider adding yourself onto his policy as a named 2nd driver... he stays the main one but even if you only drove it once to the shops it counts... it could bring the quote down a lot assuming you dont have loads of points or lack of no claims. I got added onto my sisters car as a named driver as her quotes were quite steep and it took her premiums down by 180 quid!!

tesco are doing competitive quotes for young drivers.

I got quoted £1800 for my first year. . But I did live in the ghetto so probably explains it.

keep to the 10,000 miles. diss the speedo cable for a few thou.

Reply to Car insurance for young drivers in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock