Discuss Carvan supply, small building site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Small private building site. I'll be setting up the temporary supply soon.

TT then small RCD garage unit inside the meter box on a post (DNO agrees that OK), and couple of IP66 sockets under. All good.
But customer also has a titchy site caravan alongside. - Sect 708 calls for INDIVIDUAL 2-pole RCD for each caravan supply. This complicates an otherwise neat little job.

Bearing in mind main RCD in CU is 2 pole, and demand limited to a computer and kettle, might you go for 13A plug to BS EN 60309-2 adaptor (about £5) for the caravan cable? (For a rather minor BS7671 infringement)?

i'd fit a 2nd RCD for the caravan. tin hat on. OK, you then have no discrimination between the RCDs, but that's an inconvenience, n ot a safety issue. IMO, safety overrides convenience.

Are you reading the rules for touring caravan pitches and then applying them to a fixed caravan by any chance?

Unless people are coming to visit this building site for their holidays that is.

when OP said a titchy caravan, i assumed a small tourer. metal skinned. i stand by my previous post.

Yes ordinary caravan. As you say Telectrix, no actual "harm" in loosing discrimination. It's all temporary and everyone will know what they are doing. So maybe just fit standard caravan outlet. Ta for the thoughts.

Where do you get them from? I've never yet seen a DP RCBO in single module format, only SPSN
Compact RCBO Mini RCBO Circuit Breakers
www.electricalcomponentsdirect.co.uk/.../Compact_Mini_RCBO_Circuit_B...
ECD Compact RCBO 2 pole B curve 6A 1E-2PB6 RCBO 30mA 2 POLE 1 MODULE WIDE SAME SIZE AS A MCB Compact Mini RCBO Circuit Breakers are new ...

[PDF]SINGLE MODULE DOUBLE POLE RCBO - Proteus Switchgear
www.proteusswitchgear.co.uk/downloads/sp rcbo dimensions.pdf
Page 1. SINGLE MODULE DOUBLE POLE RCBO DIMENSIONS. SWITCHGEAR. ' 1—. 6.80. 50.30. 66.80. L.

The ECD ones in your first link have no spec sheet or wiring diagram with them so impossible to tell for sure but they look like SPSN and the description suggests that ether than DP

And looking through the whole proteus catalogue I can't see any DP RCBOs, only SPSN ones

Small private building site. I'll be setting up the temporary supply soon.

TT then small RCD garage unit inside the meter box on a post (DNO agrees that OK), and couple of IP66 sockets under. All good.
But customer also has a titchy site caravan alongside. - Sect 708 calls for INDIVIDUAL 2-pole RCD for each caravan supply. This complicates an otherwise neat little job.

Bearing in mind main RCD in CU is 2 pole, and demand limited to a computer and kettle, might you go for 13A plug to BS EN 60309-2 adaptor (about £5) for the caravan cable? (For a rather minor BS7671 infringement)?
Buy a dual rcd caravan socket from denmans which is a inclosure with 2 sockets on it and 2 double pole 32 amp rcds and mcbs inside it, you can change the mcbs for 16 amp if you like and the whole unit is no more than 60 quid.

Attachments

• mqkT6GllS8a6hJkhRA68zFw.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 37
The ECD ones in your first link have no spec sheet or wiring diagram with them so impossible to tell for sure but they look like SPSN and the description suggests that ether than DP

And looking through the whole proteus catalogue I can't see any DP RCBOs, only SPSN ones
Garo 16 Amp 30mA 1 Module RCBO Type B - Meteor Electrical
Garo 16 Amp 30mA 1 Module RCBO Type B| MeteorElectrical.com
Garo 16 amp 30mA double pole single module RCBO. Double pole; Rating:16 amp; Sensitivity:30mA; Trip type:B; Test button for periodic testing; BS EN 61009 ...

now go and wash your mouth out with carbolic.

Proteus 6 out of 10 ive used them a few times im in agreement with tel about RCD's but you could always put in a time delayed one up front

OK. Ideas here. I just want to keep it all compact and squeeze the CU into the top corner of the meter box. Hence 4 unit wide garage module is about as big as I want too go.

Q) 708.553.1.13:
I assume caravan site socket outlets are to be DPRCD protected individually, mostly for convenience reasons and to isolate faults to individual caravans. Necessary on a commercial site.

Inconvenience would be irrelevant on this small site. On that basis, if I had a garage unit DP RCD feeding site sockets (32A MCB) AND a single BS EN 60309-2 caravan socket (16A MCB) then the caravan socket is "individually" protected - because there are no other caravan sockets.

Disregarding convenience, is there any actual safety reason why this would be a bad idea?

Reply to Carvan supply, small building site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net