Discuss certifying a job in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobsteroo

hi guys
been self employed 25 yrs consider myself a good sparky been a domestic installer since day 1 with nic
i completed wiring 5 factory units back in 2008 comp 6 son low bay fittings 1 double skt 1 3phase socket and toilet light per unit i issued a plain wiring completion certificate without the logos the units have been sold now and scottish power came to install the meters they refused to install them as the certs was not issued by an approved contractor has anyone heard of this can a qualified electrician carry out industrial units and issue unmarked certs

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you saying that you carried out commercial installation, but am only registered as a domestic installer. And now there is an issue with the certification not being that of an approved contractor?

For the record, installations with a certificate that has logos on it can be requested by clients from preference. However they cannot be insisted by other contractors post etc as there is no bias in the wiring regulations.

Last edited:
not really sure i understand the question but have never known meter installers wanting to see test sheets, it has nothing to do with them they could simply wire to a isolator and let you connect

I agree with ezzzekiel, sounds like a complete jobs worth to me. Perhaps the guy was having a bad day.
Anyway since when was a competent person not a competent person?? As long as you're registered you're a competent person, aren't you?

sjm

not really sure i understand the question but have never known meter installers wanting to see test sheets, it has nothing to do with them they could simply wire to a isolator and let you connect

Oh but they do have the right to see the certificates as if you don't supply them with certificates showing all the dead test results they will refuse to connect you to the mains;)

never known that personally, supposing the property/ building was new or to be rewired and there was nothing installed, they would still fit a meter and wire to isolator,
also as he stated the meter operative turned up to install the meters and refused because of the test sheets, vast majority of meter installers i know of wouldnt even know what they were looking at if given a test sheet.

They seem to have more authority with giving a new connections than removing an existing

They would be hard pushed to dis connect an installation if there were children living in the house,I believe they have to go through the courts even if it is a danger

A new installation,they carry all the cards
Whether they play those cards rightly or wrong is probably down to the presence or not of a jobsworthy type

If they have refused connection on the basis of not being a member of that organisation ( Nicy)they are way out of order and a complaint to the office of fair trading would shake them
If its an issue with safety only,then a couple of dead tests as suggested should be ok

If its reason 1 only then get the complaints moving further up thier organisation or to government bodies
They cannot discriminate between an electrician with particular registration,no way,

Reply to certifying a job in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net