Discuss Cooker connected to unfused connection unit with 6mm twin and earth in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Post 17 he is intimating that the fire was caused by a cooker, I thaught it was a fridge that caused it, or have I missed something?

Sorry mate. misread your post. Thought you was on about what the OP was testing....

I should have explained it better. I use the code 1 to 3 on my PAT certificate for any equipment hard wired to the installation as I safely isolate the cooker circuit at the CCU then test the entire circuit supplying the appliance in this case a cooker.

This I do when there is no evidence of the installation ever having been tested. I have found from time to time that the appliance is good but the supply is faulty.

This has led to me getting an EICR and remedial work out of what would have been a simple PAT test. And, yes I do know the difference between hot and cold. The hot tap is on the left and the cold is on the right :)

Last edited:
I get that the cable isn't ideal, but if the housing association get wind of the idea that you're coding things as C1 to chivvy them into action then they'll just start taking C1s with a pinch of salt, meaning genuinely serious issues could be overlooked - boy who cried wolf.

You're missing the point. I didn't do a C1, I made it a C 3 on an additional line on my PAT certificate. Please read the thread in context before responding inappropriately.

Regarding dubious tactics what's dubious about giving them more than they are paying for by including the supply in the test.

Motivating an EICR for an installation that shows no evidence of previous testing is acceptable, especially if one circuit has already been proven faulty.

I'm not a jobsworthy sticker jockey, I try to take a responsible approach to testing, whether appliances or installations

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with you testing the appliance and its supply cable no one is disputing that.

In any event this is a non-compliance, as T&E doesn’t meet the standard for flex.
Whether it would be a code C2 or C3 is open to debate.
I would go for C2 if the cooker being moved a lot.

You're missing the point. I didn't do a C1, I made it a C 3 on an additional line on my PAT certificate. Please read the thread in context before responding inappropriately.

You said:
... how do I justify code 1 on this?

Housing agency may be difficult to convince without proof of non compliance, and the Regs are not helpful
... Which I took to mean you were looking for excuses to code it as C1 to try to convince the housing association that it's something that needs changing urgently, ie exaggerating, in which case you could well end up getting yourself a reputation with the housing association, just as you have here with your unappreciative retorts.

This is an internet forum - a platform for the public exchange of ideas. If you're going about something the wrong way or disparaging people for trying to help you then there's no reason why they shouldn't tell you straight.

A C1 code is defined as: "Danger present. Risk of injury. Immediate remedial action required." For example, if the cable was damaged with accessible exposed live copper.

Assuming that is not the case, putting an exaggerated code might lead to a complaint. For example, if the customer has immediate remedial work done that turns out not to be required, you run the risk of being asked to pay for it.

all the years pat testing I never pat tested a cooker .I can understand if it was a washer or a free standing fridge /freezer that can be moved
from one room to another .or moved out for servicing .but never a cooker .

Buzzlightyear I have tested everything from a mobile phone charger to a 10 ton 3phase plug in crane so perhaps you need to understand that the Code of Practice is for In service inspection and testing of all Electrical Equipment including cookers!

Reply to Cooker connected to unfused connection unit with 6mm twin and earth in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net