Discuss Current present in earthing conductor in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

My friend and l are testing a new installtion. Can anybody tell me why, when we are testing the main earthing conductor with an earth leakage meter, are we detecting an average Current of 8-9mA which is constantly increasing and decreasing from a minimum of 0 A to a maximum of 11mA.

The Installation that is under test is swtiched off at the Main Switch, along with all of the breakers

There is 0A flowing through the main tails, yet it flows in the earthing conductor.

We want to know why, if anyone has any thoughts on the matter...

Your, JaBBaJawS...

My friend and l are testing a new installtion. Can anybody tell me why, when we are testing the main earthing conductor with an earth leakage meter, are we detecting an average Current of 8-9mA which is constantly increasing and decreasing from a minimum of 0 A to a maximum of 11mA.

The Installation that is under test is swtiched off at the Main Switch, along with all of the breakers

There is 0A flowing through the main tails, yet it flows in the earthing conductor.

We want to know why, if anyone has any thoughts on the matter...

Your, JaBBaJawS...

Possibly TNCS supply, in that case neutral and earth are connected together at the supply and you could be reading current flowing along the neutral in the road.

Another thought it could also be because of induced EMF from parallel live conductors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tncs systems can generate eddie currents around the earthing system between local buildings hence the need for larger earths

Reply to Current present in earthing conductor in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net