Discuss Dimmer overload in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Only1harden

I'm part qualified so you'll have to forgive my tiny brain...

12 x 50w Gu10s that have munched a couple of dimmers.(a silly load for a room that's abut 8 Msq)

I understand that with these halogens I may have to de rate the dimmer which would mean a 1200 watt dimmer (a bit pricy by the looks of it)

Would there be any issue with putting a normal single pole switch on it?
Is it then a simple amp rating calculation? (5.12A)
Is there maybe a greater inrush like this that may cause problems?
Last but not least, is it safe?

Thank you.

fit a 10A standard switch. then save some pennies and buy GU10 LEDs. save about £200 /year assuming 8 hours a day that the lights are on.

change the bulbs to 3w gu10 leds, you will save on energy costs over time.
600 watts to light up just one room is not the best option.

12 x 50 is indeed 600, but there's a lot of threads here and elsewhere that say for halogens you have to consider de rating by up to .5

And yes the room is 2 meters by 4 meters, which is 8 Msq.

Thanks for the constructive stuff though.

it's not 8m.sq. it's 8 sq.m. the difference between the two is 56sq.m.

Fair point, that could cost me few quid if I ordered an extra 56sqM of gyprock.
And I typo'd earlier, im NOT out there pretending to be full blown.

Reply to Dimmer overload in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

S
Hello, I wonder if someone can help me here. My understanding is : Leading edge dimmers are suitable for mains GU10 halogen lamps, but need to...
Replies
Views
scanner
S
M
Hello, I had my house completely rewired 5 years ago. At that time I had 12 GU10 35W halogen spotlights fitted in my lounge, controlled by a...
Replies
Views
MadDoc
M
Hi, I've read a few threads about buzzing dimmers on here but still have a query and would like some advice please.; Customer has x4 low voltage...
Replies
Views
nuelec
N
I am about to fit 9 5W GU10 LED's. I realise that a Leading edge dimmer can be used but as I have not fitted a dimmer for LED's before I wondered...
Replies
Views
W
Hi I am working through my house, replacing 100 x 12V 50W MR16 halogens with 240V GU10 Megaman dimmable LEDs (previous owner installed the...
Replies
Views
willidh
W

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock