Discuss DIY two gang light switch LED issue, in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ohmmmmmmm

DIY
Reaction score
I have an electrical problem. I've a two gang switch and have just replaced some old 70s lights. I've matched the wiring but has an issue. Switch two works and switches light two on and off. Switch one however only dimly lights the first light. I've no idea why.

I've not touched the switch in months, so it must be the light wiring in light one.

There's two live cables twisted together and not touching the light.

The earth is segregated and has the light earthed.

There are three neutral ones, one blue and two black.

The blue plus one black is attached to the live of light one while two are attached to the neutral of light one. That's the current situation with light two working and light one dim.

If I swap the black and blue wire so that the blue is connected to the light one live, both lights switch on using switch one and switch two still dims light one.

That I feel must be the issue hence the dimness. Any ideas?

TL;DR
Two gang light switch, one switch works, other switch dimly lights the light
I have an electrical problem. I've a two gang switch and have just replaced some old 70s lights. I've matched the wiring but has an issue. Switch two works and switches light two on and off. Switch one however only dimly lights the first light. I've no idea why.

I've not touched the switch in months, so it must be the light wiring in light one.

There's two live cables twisted together and not touching the light.

The earth is segregated and has the light earthed.

There are three neutral ones, one blue and two black.

The blue plus one black is attached to the live of light one while two are attached to the neutral of light one. That's the current situation with light two working and light one dim.

If I swap the black and blue wire so that the blue is connected to the light one live, both lights switch on using switch one and switch two still dims light one.

That I feel must be the issue hence the dimness. Any ideas?
All fixed. Earth and live were wrongly coloured. Note to all never assume yellow is earth and always expect you might see both black and blue neutrals.

I presume the new lights were not CE marked and from a reputable supplier?

I think it might have been the house wiring that was coloured oddly.

plain yellow could be a single core as a switchwire.
blacks and blues... possibly neutrals... but again, one could be a switchwire.
Doesnt say what colour the lives were.

Is the earth coloured? bare? sleeved in gr/yellow?

I think it might have been the house wiring that was coloured oddly.

plain yellow could be a single core as a switchwire.
blacks and blues... possibly neutrals... but again, one could be a switchwire.
Doesnt say what colour the lives were.

Is the earth coloured? bare? sleeved in gr/yellow?
I get it now, old 3 core cable, red blue yellow + bare cpc
misunderstood, thought the yellow was a wire from the new light fitting.

Reply to DIY two gang light switch LED issue, in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net