Discuss Do you do jobs for cash, and then not declare it with the taxman? (voters in the poll are private!!!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
Do you do jobs for cash, and then not declare it with the taxman? (voters in the poll are private!!!)

Just wondering, as it's 2019, whether there are still guys doing jobs for cash.

As a web business, all my business is paid by BACS in full up front before anything goes ahead. Or Google, who pays me 2 months after I've earned it. On a rolling basis. So it is monthly kinda thing. So there's no dodging tax for me with it. And it has caught me out in the past. Ended up with a bill too big and went bump. Folded that company a while ago.

Wondering if this day in age, when so many invoicing systems are setup direct with accounts systems, that can be accessed by various departments of governments. Whether it's a case of never giving a price in writing via a system, and taking cash, or just all honest days work and paying tax all the way.

Now you don't need to reply to the thread. Just vote. And nobody will ever see who voted.

I'm just curious.

I'll do this on all my forums and see what the % is each year near Xmas. Perhaps check annually what's changing.

(Note that if anybody from the tax office ever asked for the data, we don't record who visits a thread, or who has voted. It just adds a digit to a database like an excel file, and doesn't have a name column in it. So they'd just get lots of 1's in lots of boxes and nothing else)

Any form of payment, even a couple of cans of beer, must be declared to HMRC. Which I do everytime... :rolleyes: :D

IMO anyone who thinks cash is king nowadays is mental. If you’re trying to build a business and get mortgages etc then it’s a pita. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice to have a bit on the hip. I know someone who tried paying for a holiday in the travel agents with 3k cash and they wouldn’t take it. I also tried paying £100 into someone’s nationwide account and they wouldn’t let me as it wasn’t my account....

Through the 1950s and 60s, the top tax rate was around 90% and job bartering was common, e.g. I'll fix your electrics if you service my car.

Absolutely no need to do cash jobs. If you know what your doing on you tax return.

There are so many legal ways that you can use to bring your tax bill down that there is no point in risking breaking the law.

As an extra it is morally and legally wrong to do this.

The country as a whole needs taxation to run services.

All you cash in hand job peeps think about the next time you complain about hospital waiting lists or it takes 2 days for a police officer to arrive.

In the old days people liked cash because it meant not having to take multiple trips to the bank to deposit cheques.
Also builders would sometimes do ‘some cash’ for customers to negate some of the vodka and tonic on big jobs.
That said I still know some one man bands not just sparks but gardeners and painters who will only accept cash, can’t think why.....

Absolutely no need to do cash jobs. If you know what your doing on you tax return.

There are so many legal ways that you can use to bring your tax bill down that there is no point in risking breaking the law.

As an extra it is morally and legally wrong to do this.

The country as a whole needs taxation to run services.

All you cash in hand job peeps think about the next time you complain about hospital waiting lists or it takes 2 days for a police officer to arrive.
Hang on there Pete... All taxes are vile and disgusting ! but I agree we do need them to run essential services for the country. And yes, tax evasion is illegal, but avoidance is just shrewd... after all, it was the monks who invented it !

As to the issue of hospital waiting lists though... that has very little to do with money... it's far more to do with chaotic mismanagement and institutionalised employees.

And the none arrival of a Police Officer is mainly due to their new role to 'maintain the safety of the general public'. Their traditional role of 'upholding the law' went about 20 years ago !

(Note this is a public thread! - Regardless of the private votes lol!)

It only takes a customer to get snotty with you in a months time because they didn't agree with you when you say they broke something that they're claiming you broke, for them to report it.

I think you're treading on thin ice moving cash around.

May as well deal drugs in the eyes of the taxman lol Police don't mind it. I've known police pay jobs in cash.

Hang on there Pete... All taxes are vile and disgusting ! but I agree we do need them to run essential services for the country. And yes, tax evasion is illegal, but avoidance is just shrewd... after all, it was the monks who invented it !

As to the issue of hospital waiting lists though... that has very little to do with money... it's far more to do with chaotic mismanagement and institutionalised employees.

And the none arrival of a Police Officer is mainly due to their new role to 'maintain the safety of the general public'. Their traditional role of 'upholding the law' went about 20 years ago !
Be careful with your wording.
If you're drinking too, be extra careful for me. :)

Keep the thread civil please.

In the old days people liked cash because it meant not having to take multiple trips to the bank to deposit cheques.
Also builders would sometimes do ‘some cash’ for customers to negate some of the vodka and tonic on big jobs.
That said I still know some one man bands not just sparks but gardeners and painters who will only accept cash, can’t think why.....
I think it's still the way in Greece to have half/half arrangement on most things... so if you're buying a house for say €300k... you pay €150k in cash and the 'official' price is only €150k

buzzlightyear stop quoting posts and then changing them as it just drags the thread down and confuses things when people are scrolling through....plus it’s Gettin on my nerves keep editing or deleting them.

I think it's still the way in Greece to have half/half arrangement on most things... so if you're buying a house for say €300k... you pay €150k in cash and the 'official' price is only €150k
Italy did that under their last dodgy bloke known for his girls and parties.

ALL invoices now have to be sent to the tax man, they send it to the customer, the customer pays the tax man, the tax man gives you your share.

So it wont work forever. :)

Italy did that under their last dodgy bloke known for his girls and parties.

ALL invoices now have to be sent to the tax man, they send it to the customer, the customer pays the tax man, the tax man gives you your share.

So it wont work forever. :)
But the tax man will only ever see the €150k figure... the other half is cash and never declared etc..

Reply to Do you do jobs for cash, and then not declare it with the taxman? (voters in the poll are private!!!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock