Discuss Do you do jobs for cash, and then not declare it with the taxman? (voters in the poll are private!!!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

But the tax man will only ever see the €150k figure... the other half is cash and never declared etc..
I don't know a single person with 150k in cash

It's drawn out of a bank surely.

It comes back around doing that because checkout their bailouts they've had. It'll cost them when they can't draw cash out or put it in anywhere without a passport.

Got to spend it in fivers at the shops then and fuel will be more paid in tax than it was worth ?

I don't know a single person with 150k in cash

It's drawn out of a bank surely.

It comes back around doing that because checkout their bailouts they've had. It'll cost them when they can't draw cash out or put it in anywhere without a passport.

Got to spend it in fivers at the shops then and fuel will be more paid in tax than it was worth ?
Yeah... but this is Greece... it's a different way of life. I heard that someone had a safe/secure box/whatever underneath his swimming pool ! He worked out it was about the last place anyone would look !

Yeah... but this is Greece... it's a different way of life. I heard that someone had a safe/secure box/whatever underneath his swimming pool ! He worked out it was about the last place anyone would look !
Wow that's one way to stash it.

Worth sticking it into some currency or property though. It would increase in value then and not decrease.

If I hide 100 now. In 10 years I can buy less with it.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Large sums of money is how money is made easily. I can see why a small business can fiddle books and pay in cash at suppliers for stock etc.

But big bucks, sod that. That'd go straight into Forex for me and alternate it over the opening times of currency that happen a few times a day.

Tax avoidance and dodging is bollox. If I threw a brick at your head would you dodge it or avoid it?

As for cash jobs, ok the tax man/woman/frying pan don’t get their cut but at least the vast majority spend that cash with local businesses who do pay tax unlike Amazon etc.

Not sure what the brick reference is all about lol.

The companies who dodge and avoid tax simply opt for the lowest outgoings. Amazon apple and Google all making well more than a lot of countries while GDP.

So they use their low taxes for their businesses. They're bigger than countries now. Countries need to be stronger on them but then the tax payer ends up going elsewhere for their stuff too then.

I guess.

I don't agree with it. It should be paid in the country the product is bought. End of. Not related to where the business operates. IMO.

I'm hoping the yes vote in our poll really is occasionally. ;)

Else your statement above is untrue mate. Lol

Not sure what the brick reference is all about lol.

The companies who dodge and avoid tax simply opt for the lowest outgoings. Amazon apple and Google all making well more than a lot of countries while GDP.

So they use their low taxes for their businesses. They're bigger than countries now. Countries need to be stronger on them but then the tax payer ends up going elsewhere for their stuff too then.

I guess.

I don't agree with it. It should be paid in the country the product is bought. End of. Not related to where the business operates. IMO.

I'm hoping the yes vote in our poll really is occasionally. ;)

Else your statement above is untrue mate. Lol
The problem though Dan... is that it's tax on profits... and who's to say which country you made the profit in ? You can easily determine the value of Sales, but profit is a tricky one. The trick often used is to charge a 'management charge' from one entity to another... thus moving profit. The only real solution is to have a global arrangement that says that whatever profit you make, it will be 'deemed' to have been made in the country where the sales were... But Ireland would never agree to that ! Neither would Luxembourg !

Hang on there Pete... All taxes are vile and disgusting ! but I agree we do need them to run essential services for the country. And yes, tax evasion is illegal, but avoidance is just shrewd... after all, it was the monks who invented it !

As to the issue of hospital waiting lists though... that has very little to do with money... it's far more to do with chaotic mismanagement and institutionalised employees.

And the none arrival of a Police Officer is mainly due to their new role to 'maintain the safety of the general public'. Their traditional role of 'upholding the law' went about 20 years ago !
Absolutely agree money( our money ) is waisted by government, but I feel it is a poor argument to justify not paying your due taxes.

Governments from all sides will always waste money on weird schemes and mismanaging. It’s a fact and will never change.

The problem is they don’t believe it is wasted because they are spending it on what we the people want. Not the majority of people, but the loud minority.

I know my argument will be unpopular as no one likes giving money to the taxman, but it is needed even if some of it is wasted due to what we the people want.

I fully understand how it works. My payments from Google for 13 years have been from America, Ireland and the UK. :)

What I'm saying is the buyer buys it here. They have to have a company here paying the tax on the goods. And not allowed them to charge a fee from islands for 'branding charge' from an arm that doesn't sell the product to the customer.

Those

Cash is still king...more is better than less,especially if it's in your pocket :)

I have tried rolling around,naked,on a bed strewn with BACS receipts......it's not the same...;)

cash jobs might avoid paying a bit of tax, but then it makes up for the receipts you forget to enter and the nasty printed fuel receipts that have completely faded so you don't know what for and for how much, thus being unable to claim for.

We used to holiday every year in Greece when we were teenagers , and I remember back then most shops , restaurants , bars would only accept cash. No cards allowed.
I wonder why...It was something quite nice and simplicity about it,
In fact if your bill came to say 5400 drachmas they would you just round it down to a nice crisp 5000

Absolutely agree money( our money ) is waisted by government, but I feel it is a poor argument to justify not paying your due taxes.

Governments from all sides will always waste money on weird schemes and mismanaging. It’s a fact and will never change.

The problem is they don’t believe it is wasted because they are spending it on what we the people want. Not the majority of people, but the loud minority.

I know my argument will be unpopular as no one likes giving money to the taxman, but it is needed even if some of it is wasted due to what we the people want.
Pete... I have never suggested that anyone should not pay their due taxes... that's called "tax evasion" and is illegal.
Government do not believe money is wasted for two reasons; i) That's the way it's always been ii) It's very easy to measure money... We often hear that "We've increased spending on education by 10%", but never hear that 1,000 more school leavers can read and write properly.

But probably the craziest way ever to give away our hard earned money is the law that says we must spend 0.7% of our GNI on Overseas Development (that's about 14 BILLION a year) ... It has nothing to do with actually benefitting or helping anyone !! As a consequence, vast amounts of this money never ever reach the people that need it.

Look at all the cash only takeaways, car washes and nail bars. No receipts issued. Great money laundering mechanisms me thinks. Always wondered why HMRC never seem to pay them much interest. Plod spent the last few years waving the flag about modern slavery and in my view one of the easiest ways to crack down on the offending businesses is to hit them financially. But no they insist on raiding them and wonder why everyone runs away, even the victims!

Absolutely no need to do cash jobs. If you know what your doing on you tax return.

There are so many legal ways that you can use to bring your tax bill down that there is no point in risking breaking the law.

As an extra it is morally and legally wrong to do this.

The country as a whole needs taxation to run services.

All you cash in hand job peeps think about the next time you complain about hospital waiting lists or it takes 2 days for a police officer to arrive.
If only it were so simple.

Your tax £ will be swallowed in an orgy of public sector largesse, foreign aid, failed IT systems, Toffs trains sets, diversity outreach officers, trans toilets and literally millions more schemes and scams to funnel tax into the grubby hands of the of a select few.

It is every mans duty to pay as little tax as morally acceptable to him.

I don't do cash in hand though cos I'm a hypocritical -----.

If only it were so simple.

Your tax £ will be swallowed in an orgy of public sector largesse, foreign aid, failed IT systems, Toffs trains sets, diversity outreach officers, trans toilets and literally millions more schemes and scams to funnel tax into the grubby hands of the of a select few.

It is every mans duty to pay as little tax as morally acceptable to him.

I don't do cash in hand though cos I'm a hypocritical -----.
I don’t know whether to agree or disagree ,like or ,dislike.

I like you don’t do cash in hand, but not sure on the little tax as morally acceptable.

If you’d said legally and morally you have an agree or like.

Just a quick add ( political correctness) “every man and woman’s duty”.

(Even more political correctness) “man woman or other”

Sorry went off topic.

I’ve decided to plump for wow!

Is this what accountants refer to as liquid assets? :D

Should this tax-evasion method ever be discovered by the Greek tax authorities, I'm sure they'll pool their resources, dive in to investigate, and surface with a watertight case. :D

If you watch Watchdog on the BBC on a regular basis you always see people being ripped off on a regular basis. What was it last week, victims being charged over £6K for jobs which should cost a couple of hundred quid. Looks like they can do 2 jobs a day at least probably 6 days a week. That's £72K a week or £3.5 million a year, allowing time off for hols and drinking beer. Do you recon these people with integrity pay the tax man anything? These programs will never run out of these examples. An endless supply.

I never understand why these programs don't have the police with them and arrest immediately, freeze all bank accounts, prosecute and seize all assets under proceeds of crime act. Make them homeless. Use some of their money to lock them up and fund more investigative journalism. That would make a cracking program.

Most of the focus is always focuses on the little people who charge bugger all and make little money.

I'll give an example. Many many years ago my wife engaged the services of a small cleaning company all above board, taxes paid and daughter a part time employee with payslip. The mother decided to retire and the business was wound up. The daughter decided to keep on with 6 clients, we were one. She was on benefits (3 children, 2 fathers who had both cleared off). We paid cash even though we knew she was on benefits. I had a discussion with here on declaring it to the taxman and the benefits agency and offered help in that respect regarding accounts. The reality was it would be stupid to do so. She'd be immediately frozen out of any benefits, being self employed, even though when I looked at her financials regarding the business she was making a loss, technically. She didn't have the maths ability to do her own accounts or the financial ability to pay for an accountant. The vehicle she needed to get to her jobs triggered a loss but nether the less a "benefit in kind" for day to day life. With it she could take her children out to places. Help enrich their lives. Did she need a vehicle? No. The children went to the school 50 yards away on her road and there was an Aldi at the bottom of her road. She only required a vehicle for work.

She clearly wanted to improve her lot in life and it would also show a good work ethic to her children. One day she stopped coming. We think someone dobbed her in. We never heard from her again.

What did society benefit from this. Children learning that if you are at the bottom of the heap its pointless working as you'll just get kicked back. This is a British self fulfilling disease. There is no political desire to fix this.

Now there are negatives. What you find is cash jobs from some tradesmen are so cheap it depresses what everyone else can charge. That's a major problem for tradesmen across all trades. BUT who am I to criticise when instead of buying clothes made in the UK where there'd be maternity pay, paternity pay, sick pay, bank holiday pay, 6 weeks holiday pay, state pension, free health care, fee schooling etc I can buy much cheaper from a country where they get non of that and their working week is twice as long.

Unless you get ruthless reform starting at the top. i.e. those types that appear on Watchdog type programs, cash jobs will always be a reality.

I have met many people who have a full time job and do foreigners on the side. Do they fill out self assessments every year? I suspect not.

Reply to Do you do jobs for cash, and then not declare it with the taxman? (voters in the poll are private!!!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock